Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,936 times

Advertisements

Maine, in general, is a live and let live type of place. No one cares about your love life, or wants to know about it. I know several gay couples in Bangor and they are very happy.

But the live and let live part applies to you too. If you come to Maine and require people to endorse your lifestyle, you are in for a hard time. As I said, we aren't interested and don't want to know. This way of looking at things isn't a gay thing, but a lifestyle thing. We get people coming here from other parts of the country all the time that seem to think it is their purpose in life to "enlighten" Mainers about all kinds of things. Those people tend to do poorly here and leave disillusioned (I know some of those people too). Whatever their cause is becomes the bane of their existence.

If you come to Maine, enjoy life and mind your own business. You'll find Maine a wonderful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 03:33 PM

17 posts, read 39,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWarriorMystic View Post
Looking w partner to relocate to Bangor Maine and live in country in peace and quiet how friendly is it and how is best way to start meeting others before my actual move to Bangor this summer Bruce In Baltimore?
I'm not an ideal candidate to address the gay-friendliness of Bangor, but I feel qualified enough to let you know that Bangor isn't really "the country". Perhaps a lot more country than say, Baltimore, but we're not talking a pastoral setting here.

Just sayin'. It's a small but real city, with malls and traffic lights and neighborhoods, etc.

Now, drive outside of Bangor a bit and you'll get pastoral fairly quickly.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
My family, which consists of myself, my partner and our son, are looking to move to Bangor. My partner and myself moved from Columbus Ohio to Savannah Georgia...........Huge mistake! The only good thing that came out of this, is the adoption of our son. We moved down here to escape the winters of Ohio, and to live near the ocean. We foolishly believed that the quaint southern charm and hospitality truly existed! The crime here is high, cost of living is through the roof, education system is horrible, and the people are rude and ignorant! We knew it would be much warmer here, but failed to realize how miserable the heat/humidity really is. Needless-to-say, we failed to do the apropriate research. After re-evaluating our priorities, we've discovered that not only do we not dislike the snow as much as we thought, we actually miss it! We've always been attracted to the New England area, and work with fellow transplants from that area, and they all speak highly of it( with the occasional "winter hater") saying it's the only negative aspect. We are looking for somewhere SAFE and healthy to raise our family, yet still affordable. I was wondering if anyone could give me an HONEST opinion about what it's like for gay/lesbian people to live in Bangor, especially with children. In addition, if there are any other servers/bartenders living in Bangor, can you give us an idea of what the tips/wages are like? We've always made a good living off of this occupation, but again, here in the south, it's wretched! We work for Darden Restaurants, which own Olive Gardens and Longhorns, and will be transfering to one of those stores. I know we're all busy, and we're strangers, but if anyone can give me the "low-down" on this, I would really be appreciative!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:21 PM

90 posts, read 171,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Maine, in general, is a live and let live type of place. No one cares about your love life, or wants to know about it. I know several gay couples in Bangor and they are very happy.

But the live and let live part applies to you too. If you come to Maine and require people to endorse your lifestyle, you are in for a hard time. As I said, we aren't interested and don't want to know. This way of looking at things isn't a gay thing, but a lifestyle thing. We get people coming here from other parts of the country all the time that seem to think it is their purpose in life to "enlighten" Mainers about all kinds of things. Those people tend to do poorly here and leave disillusioned (I know some of those people too). Whatever their cause is becomes the bane of their existence.

If you come to Maine, enjoy life and mind your own business. You'll find Maine a wonderful place.
It might sound a bit backward but I agree. Do your thing what ever it is but, don't knock on my door on a saturday and try to sell it to me is all.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM

325 posts, read 705,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish57 View Post
It might sound a bit backward but I agree. Do your thing what ever it is but, don't knock on my door on a saturday and try to sell it to me is all.
Unless it involves fishin' or something else of the redneck variety.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish57 View Post

I've never had someone knock on my door attempting to persuade me to change sexual orientation, sexuality or anything like that. Are you really just saying that you hate seeing PDA and couples that aren't straight or that people have tried to recruit you at home?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Despite the recent repeal of the legislature's implementation of a Gay Marriage law, Maine is not a hostile toward gays.
Don't read too much into the repeal of that particular law. Maine people repealed it mostly because it was implemented without voter involvement. People just did not like the legislature and Governor passing the law without the input of the people and they let them know it. Had it been brought up as a referrendum issue on a ballot I'd be willing to bet it would have passed. Mainers are VERY live and let live. We tend to mind our own business and just ask others to do the same.
Ehh...if this was the reason it was repealed, that doesn't make things any better. The law that was "implemented without voter involement" was implemented to give minorities rights, and affected the rest of the population in NO way whatsoever. Going out of your way to repeal something like this doesn't seem "live and let live" to me.

That being said, it's not like too many other states are better in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area