U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:16 PM

69 posts, read 142,907 times

Advertisements

my partner and i are considering a move from Wisconsin to Bangor. I'm originally from the Portland area and a Colby graduate but its been many years since I've called Maine home. However, we are looking to move to a smaller community, not far from skiing and the coast where we can enjoy the outdoors and small town atmosphere.

that being said, anyone have thoughts on how accepting bangor or the coastal towns near Bar Harbor/Ellsworth are with same-sex couples? I've always heard great things about Portland and the southern coast but in a odd twist of employment luck (?) our fortunes seem brighter in Bangor. I'm an attorney and he's in academia. I haven't been north of portland since my colby days and have heard that my negative impressions may be a bit outdated.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 18,127 times
I lived in Bangor from 1998-2005 (I just moved to Las Vegas a year ago). Bangor's gay community is growing very quickly, and the community is very accepting. I made many many gay friends during my time there. North of Bangor is a little different, as you would expect...sparsely populated and not as open-minded. But if you are considering a move to Bangor, you should have absolutely nothing to worry about! Best of luck.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 AM

439 posts, read 607,418 times
Maine is a tolerant place compared to most areas of the country- the small towns in the northern part of the state less so.

Bangor seems to be a place for many on this site- gay or straight.
The state of Maine has anti hate laws and anti discrimination laws I believe.
No civil unions yet- but I know New Hampshire is now considering them. As is Rhode Island. Of course Connecticut and Vermont passed those laws and Mass. has gay marriage.

Ogunquit in Maine is the gay resort in Maine, and competes with P Town for the title as best gay place to vacation in New England if you are gay or lesbian.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 PM

409 posts, read 1,650,888 times
My sister is getting married in Mass. I will suggest that she and her new wife honeymoon in Bangor!

Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 28,303 times
The University of Maine in Orono had a pretty open gay community when I went there. However, I remember hearing on the news 5 years or so ago that in Bangor a gay man was killed when he was thrown from a bridge by a pack of rednecks...

Old 01-19-2007, 07:51 PM

31,567 posts, read 71,637,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentron View Post
The University of Maine in Orono had a pretty open gay community when I went there. However, I remember hearing on the news 5 years or so ago that in Bangor a gay man was killed when he was thrown from a bridge by a pack of rednecks...
Something this horrific could occur anywhere though, and it's not necessarily indicative of the community as a whole. We should never forget the community of Laramie, Wyoming, in which Matthew Shepard was brutally-beated, disrobed, tied to a fence along a rural road, and then left to die until he was discovered by a passing bicyclist. I'm sure there are even people in San Francisco who find the GLBT community to be quite abhorrent, even though they likely wouldn't express their displeasure with gays due to fears of retribution from the mostly-Liberal community.

I've grown up here in Scranton, a city with a reputation for hostility towards minorities, yet, as a gay person myself, I've endured surprisingly little hatred directed towards me. It's sad to hear that people are still willing to kill others based solely upon their sexual orientations, but I suppose that's what occurs when you have a man in the Oval Office who condones homophobic behaviors. Nevertheless, I'm sure the overwhelming majority of people in Bangor aren't the type who'd enjoy public lynchings of gays/lesbians. If they're anything like the people of Scranton, they probably have the "If you're not bothering me, then why should I bother you?" philosophy.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:59 PM

72 posts, read 396,323 times
PTown vs. Ogunquit? Get real. Unless you're a retired gay couple, PTown has is all over Ogunquit. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. Ogunguit will never earn that right. I think rural Maine would be friendlier to lesbians than gay men though. Are there any gay bars outside Portland and Ogunquit?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 PM

306 posts, read 973,565 times
Quote:
The University of Maine in Orono had a pretty open gay community when I went there.
University of Maine at Farmington has a big gay population. They say around 50% of the girls are lesbians. I did not believe it untill I visited my buddy up there and saw it for myself.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:35 PM

15 posts, read 76,876 times
Quote:
While this was a very sad event, it happened in the first half of the 80's. That's a long time ago and the town has certainly changed.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 AM

581 posts, read 613,042 times
The Bangor area appears to be loosening up. We even have nude bowling in suburban Old Town! http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=145743&zoneid=500 (broken link)

Last edited by DavidoftheNorth; 02-02-2007 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area