Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Skip them both and take route 1 down the coast.
I have to agree with this. There aren't any must see places in either Bangor or Augusta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I have to agree with this. There aren't any must see places in either Bangor or Augusta.
All depends on what one's interests are. A hardcore Stephen King fan might want to come to BGR and see his house. I don't go gaga over 'celebrities', but he got that old house fixed up pretty nice...interesting fence too.

Someone else, who is interested in historical stuff (like me) might want to stop in to Fort Knox over in Prospect. Hard to say without knowing what someone is interested in.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
What about taking Rt 3 (is that right, is it Rt 3? sorry, the coffee isn't working yet!) down from Augusta to the coast, the up the coast through Belfast, then on through Stockton Springs. You could head to Prospect, cross that gorgeous bridge, even stop and go up in the observatory. Drive from Bucksport to Ellsworth, and then on to Acadia. Rt 3 (if that's the road!) is one of my favorite drives! It gives you a chance to glimpse the hilly side of Maine, with some nices farms and wonderful views along the way. That would be my choice... and I would definitely recommend going up in the observatory at the bridge if it's a clear day, and the Fort is nice as well.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
The University of Maine's Art Museum is right in downtown Bangor. I wish people would stop trashing the downtown. Things are way more interesting now than they were 10 years ago. Check out Paddy Murphy's for lunch or dinner.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post

I agree as well.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:14 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
What about taking Rt 3 (is that right, is it Rt 3? sorry, the coffee isn't working yet!) down from Augusta to the coast, the up the coast through Belfast, then on through Stockton Springs. You could head to Prospect, cross that gorgeous bridge, even stop and go up in the observatory. Drive from Bucksport to Ellsworth, and then on to Acadia. Rt 3 (if that's the road!) is one of my favorite drives! It gives you a chance to glimpse the hilly side of Maine, with some nices farms and wonderful views along the way. That would be my choice... and I would definitely recommend going up in the observatory at the bridge if it's a clear day, and the Fort is nice as well.
it is route 3, much easier to get to with the new augusta bridge and off ramp- from 95

just take the exit - augusta/belfast rte 3 and go straight-

The maine state museum is in augusta- probly the best museum ive been in(in maine) if you are a museum goer

Long-Standing Favorites (Maine State Museum)

Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
I agree with skipping the cities. There's so much to see in Acadia and you're barely going to have enough time to squeeze in seeing all of the best parts of the park in such a short amount of time. If you need to see a city, squeeze in seeing Bangor at night. Otherwise, make the most of your time and go to Cadillac Mountain, Sand Beach, the Bubble Mountains, Jordan Pond, Thunder Hole, and Somes Sound during your 2 days. Maybe even fit in a whale watch or guided kayak tour. It would be a shame to give up a day on Mount Desert Island just to see a city.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85 View Post
Hi there!

I will be in Portland in October for a day in October and want to take my days off and take a 2-day trip to Acadia National Park!

I think I may want to stop one of the ways going or leaving the park. Of course I want to be able to explore one of the cities and see a few good sites. Which one would be a better city to stop in to see sites, walk around the center of the city, etc- Augusta or Bangor? And why?

Thanks so much!!
I'm a capital city person myself. I love all the states Capitol buildings. But I believe Acadia will be a huge time bandit with only 2 days. To me, both cities are incomparable. You can't go wrong with either, neither or both.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
A person could easily spend a week or more in Acadia National Park especially if they like to hike and/or look at the scenery....a few suggestions: spend at least one day at Sand Beach and Great Head Trail, a more challenging trail would be Champlain Mountain, check the weather for a clear morning and go to Cadillac Mountain to watch the sun come up (bring camera for sure), lots of places to stop and explore along the Park Loop Road. Hike around Jordan Pond and the Bubbles trail, maybe Penobscot Mountain, afternoon tea and more at the Jordan Pond House, check out the restaurants and shops in Bar Harbor, a day trip to Schoodic, another to Seawall and the so called quiet side of the island, a whale watch boat, schooner, guided kayaking .....two days will leave you wanting more.

I prefer Bangor over Augusta and sometimes take people (if they ask) for a brief side trip to see Stephen King's house and fence. In the mood for ice cream? Union Street near the airport.... Nicky's has more than 20 soft serve flavors. If you come in to Bangor on I-95 and you want a meal, there's 24-hour food at DySarts Exit 180. I wouldn't choose Bangor or Augusta over Acadia especially if I only had two days. Indoor tourist attractions--Personally, I think indoor places should be visited at night or when its raining....each to his own....

Old 08-31-2011, 05:43 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
Depending on when in October you will be here - late October the impact of the foliage will be over and much of Bar Harbor attractions will be closed by the middle of the month. The park is still beautiful however and if you are in the area anyway, not to be missed. You will seem to have much of it to yourself except for the die hard hikers and the people who don't have to be back home to have kids in school. Try to make it before the middle of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area