Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:01 PM

40 posts, read 97,692 times

Advertisements

So here I am, exactly what the state is trying to attract and retain. I am a college educated indivudual in my lower 20s with a deep desire to live and work in the Bangor area. Call me crazy, but I think Bangor is a great place to live and has a lot of potential in its future. That said, WHERE ARE THE JOBS? I have been looking for a decent job for quite some time and have not found much at all to apply to. My degree is in Marketing from the University of Maine, but I am open to all sorts of career-track job opportunities. Am I being overly optimistic? There has to be at least SOME promising employment opportunities for someone like me in the area... I would like to think I'm a desirable candidate as I am young, motivated and would be a breath of fresh air in the areas rapidly aging work force. Am I looking in the right places? Does anyone have any insight into some promising companies or employment opportunities around Bangor? Any help would be very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 03:15 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,233,739 times
Have you thought about sales?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:33 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,587,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Have you thought about sales?
That was my first thought. Radio and TV come to mind!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:55 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,207,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustthere View Post
So here I am, exactly what the state is trying to attract and retain. I am a college educated indivudual in my lower 20s with a deep desire to live and work in the Bangor area. Call me crazy, but I think Bangor is a great place to live and has a lot of potential in its future. That said, WHERE ARE THE JOBS? I have been looking for a decent job for quite some time and have not found much at all to apply to. My degree is in Marketing from the University of Maine, but I am open to all sorts of career-track job opportunities. Am I being overly optimistic? There has to be at least SOME promising employment opportunities for someone like me in the area... I would like to think I'm a desirable candidate as I am young, motivated and would be a breath of fresh air in the areas rapidly aging work force. Am I looking in the right places? Does anyone have any insight into some promising companies or employment opportunities around Bangor? Any help would be very appreciated.
You have my sympathies. If you want to know what is going on, ask anyone that graduated college in 1975 at the beginning of the Carter Recession (like me). You, unfortunately, are unemployed in the beginning of the Obama Recession.

I graduated college and the help-wanted ads were few and far behind. The key words are survival and patience. After the year of being unemployed, I used food stamps, bused tables, clean toilets and sold insurance. But eventually it passed, and it will indeed pass this time. With the imminent changes in congress and the presidency, whoever takes over will NOT do what is being done now. The economy will eventually stabilize and turn around. All you have to do is make it until then.

Good luck, and don't give up.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:57 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,233,739 times
I sold them both in my early to mid-20s, it's a young person's game.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,105,433 times
I'm a computer tech, owned my own business for 15 years then I moved here. Now I work in a warehouse. We had an opening for a data entry position, 37 guys with Masters degrees applied for it and a whole bunch more with lesser and no degrees.

We are going to need more help for the Xmas season. Hike on down to Maine Staffing and sign on for temp work, tell them you'll take anything. Some slackers are probably going to get canned soon so there will be some openings. Bust your butt and you might be able to get hired by the company directly. That's what I did. It's hard work, but it's a job.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:52 AM

71 posts, read 173,739 times
I too used a staffing agency when I moved here 3 years ago. My second temp assignment turned in the full time job I've had since March 2007. Using the agency is a win-win for all involved. It prevents you from being stuck in a job you won't like, once the inevitable honeymoon period ends. It also prevents employers from being stuck with a dud who really doesn't work as hard or well as they claim to.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:47 AM

37,516 posts, read 61,553,543 times
I wish you luck.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:41 PM

40 posts, read 97,692 times
These replies are kind of depressing me. Looks like there isn't much hope...

Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,665,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustthere View Post
These replies are kind of depressing me. Looks like there isn't much hope...
If you cannot find find hope within yourself, it is not to be found.

If you want to live in Maine, IMHO, one does what ever necessary, including working at several jobs, taking low paying ones and finding cheap housing, etc. Those who live and thrive here generally seem not to be wimps. Not that you are one...I am not saying that.. but it is not an easy place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area