Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,749 times

Advertisements

This is my first summer in Maine. I like to be out on the trails in the Bangor City Forest, but I keep being "attacked" by what I believe to be black flies.
I have a bit of confusion about it though...

From reading, it seems black flies are very small, but these guys are quite large, like a small bee.
I say "attacked", but in all my hours on the trails, I have not been bitten by one of them. They circle me a few times before they start dive-bombing my head. Sometimes they land at which time I swat them, usually to their death. It's mostly just 1 or 2 of them at a time, but yesterday I was being swarmed by 5 or more. Swatting held them off for the most part, but they are relentless. As soon as I would get out of range of one swarm, I'd end up in another.

I found a picture of one online that looks exactly like what harasses me on the trails:

These are always big and never get the chance to bite. They only go after my head and don't land anywhere else on me.

So, are these the nasty biting black flies I've heard so much about? Are there different kinds, different sizes?

I'm glad they don't appear to want my blood. I just wish I could enjoy this weather uninterrupted!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-28-2011 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: please don't post copyrighted images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM

68 posts, read 195,387 times
You are talking about Deer flies, not Black flies. About the size of a house fly, maybe a little smaller. They will buzz around your head relentlessly and then finally land, at which point they will pull out a pair of needle nose pliers from thier back pocket and try to inflict pain. As you have discovered, they are rather easy to kill, but very annoying....

Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb01 View Post
You are talking about Deer flies, not Black flies. About the size of a house fly, maybe a little smaller. They will buzz around your head relentlessly and then finally land, at which point they will pull out a pair of needle nose pliers from thier back pocket and try to inflict pain. As you have discovered, they are rather easy to kill, but very annoying....
Thanks for clearing that up. Those things are driving me crazy!

I was out after 6pm last night and it was the worst then.
What time of day is the best to have the greatest chance of avoiding them?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
What time of day is the best to have the greatest chance of avoiding them?
On your drive to the trail!

Flies hatch out in running water while mosquitoes hatch in standing water.

I was out last night from 7 till 9:15.

Figured it'd get better as night temps cooled but nooooooooo, the little buggas kept biting.

Figure I may as well feed 'em as well as anyone else.

Wouldn't want to see a skinny fly/skeeter now.

It's basically mind over matter. I personally wouldn't waste a dime on repellent.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
On your drive to the trail!

Flies hatch out in running water while mosquitoes hatch in standing water.

I was out last night from 7 till 9:15.

Figured it'd get better as night temps cooled but nooooooooo, the little buggas kept biting.

Figure I may as well feed 'em as well as anyone else.

Wouldn't want to see a skinny fly/skeeter now.

It's basically mind over matter. I personally wouldn't waste a dime on repellent.
I refuse to let them keep me indoors. I don't use repellents nor plan to start.
Sounds like I'll just have to suck it up. The best defense I've found is to keep moving, quickly! I'll stick with that. I suppose they're good motivation while on my runs.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
You have not run into a real swarm. The picture you posted is a blackfly... in Maine this time of year blackflies are so thick you cannot go outdoors without a head net , long sleeves, long pants and relellent on any exposed skin. Don't let people who live among the little suckers tell you "they're not that bad" because THEY ARE. They are TERRIBLE . They can put you in the hospital if you are not prepared. Only the strongest willed people in the world can ignore them...most of those people are crazy anyway. I will advise you to steer clear of the Maine woods until August. Most of the little pricks are gone by then. You may have deer flies by then and horse flies (moose flies) but the worst will be over..

Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlndr View Post
This is my first summer in Maine. I like to be out on the trails in the Bangor City Forest, but I keep being "attacked" by what I believe to be black flies.
I have a bit of confusion about it though...

From reading, it seems black flies are very small, but these guys are quite large, like a small bee.
I say "attacked", but in all my hours on the trails, I have not been bitten by one of them. They circle me a few times before they start dive-bombing my head. Sometimes they land at which time I swat them, usually to their death. It's mostly just 1 or 2 of them at a time, but yesterday I was being swarmed by 5 or more. Swatting held them off for the most part, but they are relentless. As soon as I would get out of range of one swarm, I'd end up in another.

I found a picture of one online that looks exactly like what harasses me on the trails:

These are always big and never get the chance to bite. They only go after my head and don't land anywhere else on me.

So, are these the nasty biting black flies I've heard so much about? Are there different kinds, different sizes?

I'm glad they don't appear to want my blood. I just wish I could enjoy this weather uninterrupted!

As the man above mentioned, 5 is not a swarm.........it doesn't even qualify as a scouting party in the black fly world..

True black fly swarms in the bush will drive you nuts even if you've bathed in DEET.

Enjoy the first part of summer.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You have not run into a real swarm. The picture you posted is a blackfly... in Maine this time of year blackflies are so thick you cannot go outdoors without a head net , long sleeves, long pants and relellent on any exposed skin. Don't let people who live among the little suckers tell you "they're not that bad" because THEY ARE. They are TERRIBLE . They can put you in the hospital if you are not prepared. Only the strongest willed people in the world can ignore them...most of those people are crazy anyway. I will advise you to steer clear of the Maine woods until August. Most of the little pricks are gone by then. You may have deer flies by then and horse flies (moose flies) but the worst will be over..
Right-o. 5 is not a swarm. 500, so thick around your head that you can't breathe without sucking a dozen of the little buggers in, *is* a swarm.

I can usually ignore them, deet keeps them from actually biting. My wife seems somewhat mystified by my ability to go about my business without waving and swatting at them...I suppose that if you were to ask her, she might say that I'm a bit 'strong-willed'...probably using endearing terms such as 'mulish', 'stubborn old b*stard' and 'thick-headed %#&*@'.

I don't think I'm crazy though...at least not usually, though I wonder about it myself from time to time.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:34 AM

68 posts, read 195,387 times
Based on the description given by the OP, I still think he's talking about Deer flies. Black flies should be almost dried up by now and the Deer flies are starting to take hold. He did state "...like a small bee..." The picture he showed was not a deer fly but he definitely gave the description of one.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb01 View Post
Based on the description given by the OP, I still think he's talking about Deer flies. Black flies should be almost dried up by now and the Deer flies are starting to take hold. He did state "...like a small bee..." The picture he showed was not a deer fly but he definitely gave the description of one.
As I've been reading more about it, I think you're still right. Maybe the pic was off or maybe I was visited by both insects.
You can see my confusion now haha...

I went again last night and made it out with only a handful of mosquito bites. All things considered, not too bad.

Thanks for the good info I was ready to
At least now I can deal with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area