Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:06 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,131 times

Advertisements

Well, thank you again Forest for the invitation. You keep offering, and I'll be taking you up on it!

(and I'm not THAT bad to look at!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 04:28 PM

581 posts, read 712,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am telling you; that you can run nekkid in my yard all day everyday, and nobody would haul you anywhere.
Naked bowling, naked gardening - you Old Town folks are a special breed!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:17 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Well, thank you again Forest for the invitation. You keep offering, and I'll be taking you up on it!

(and I'm not THAT bad to look at!)

Having spent a career living onboard submarines, I have heard [and said] many times: "if you find a female unattractive it is a sign that you simply have not spent enough years living underwater". To that adage I say: "I am sure that you are very attractive".

Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 PM

139 posts, read 362,660 times
Thumbs up St. John Valley

I know it is further than 45 minutes of Bangor, however the St. John Valley has a lot to offer for everyone. We are extremely rural and the schools and healthcare facilities are top performers in the State. I am a young man (33 years young) with a family of 5 and truely would not consider moving to any other area in the country. We have the North Maine Woods next door, Canada is next door to us, lots of country roads to explore. ATV trails galore, Snowmobile trails galore, two Northern Maine heritage centers, one in Fort Kent and another in Presque Isle. A few years ago my organization co-sponsored a Junior World Cup Biatholon with much success. I would look into this option just for fun. You may really enjoy what you see here in "The Valley". I purchased my 5 year old ranch with 3 acre lot for a total of $50,000 and borrowed a total 15 years for it. I work in the Healthcare field so finding employment is not a problem. Our largest employer in Aroostook County is Healthcare. In Northern Maine we are looking for some young self sufficient adult families who can contribute to our local communities. Check out my small town Chamber website.

Town of Van Buren Maine

Van Buren Pine Runners - Home

The Town of Van Buren, Maine (http://www.vanburenmaine.com/chamber/ - broken link)

I have some friends that finally got the guts to move to Northern Maine (Van Buren) from Providence RI. They have since needed much less medications to cope with the daily stresses they encountered in Providence. They recently purchased a two story 2500 square foot farm house on 9 acres of farm forest land with a pond, swimming pool, and barn for $135,000! They are happily raising their 3 children without regrets, have since opened two businesses and works at a local telemarketing center in Limestone.

This is just my 2 cents, but it may be worth taking a look.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:45 PM

12 posts, read 21,135 times
Default Love Maine

Hey there....my wife and I have been to Maine three times and LOVE IT! We have traveled the entire state and are currently looking for a town to make our new home. Your post interests me since we were in that area and the real estate seems like its a good price. If you have time, please respond as we are looking for someone local in Maine to assist in finding some land. We would prefer to "not" use a Realtor and buy direct from the home / land owner. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WhiteHummers View Post
Hey there....my wife and I have been to Maine three times and LOVE IT! We have traveled the entire state and are currently looking for a town to make our new home. Your post interests me since we were in that area and the real estate seems like its a good price. If you have time, please respond as we are looking for someone local in Maine to assist in finding some land. We would prefer to "not" use a Realtor and buy direct from the home / land owner. Thanks!
Hey there, welcome to City-Data.

Who were you addressing you post to?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 36,904 times
Hello forest beekeeper. I am new to city-data, and am moving to Maine in about two months. However, I am having a hard time deciding where to move to. I have seen your name in the message boards and can use the help of someone like you. You seem very knowledgeable and I think you live in one of the areas I am looking into. My wife and I want to live either to the west or north of either Portland or Bangor. My wife is disabled, and I need to be within a forty five minute commute to work. I presently work in security, but will gladly change fields if necessary. We want out of the crowded hustle and bustle of south Florida city life. I am looking to rent or lease option a good sized house with a little land (not using a realtor) that is in an area with relatively decent taxes, a good attitude to newcomers, wilderness activities, and decent social services. A live and let live type of place, where people treat you
pleasantly because they are nice people, not because you have an expensive car or live in a ritzy neighborhood. I have never been to Maine, but most everything I have been reading in the postings encourages me. I will be coming up in either late April or early May to find us a place, and will be moving us up within a few weeks after. It is even more difficult to do as my wife is unable to help. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I need to know exactly where I will be going when I come up to look, as I will have only one week to find a place. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingfla View Post
Hello forest beekeeper. I am new to city-data, and am moving to Maine in about two months.
Welcome to City-data, welcome to Maine.

Quote:
... However, I am having a hard time deciding where to move to.
I do understand.

Quote:
... I think you live in one of the areas I am looking into.
I guess that I live semi-rural. Maine offers much more rural areas than where I live.

Quote:
... My wife and I want to live either to the west or north of either Portland or Bangor. My wife is disabled, and I need to be within a forty five minute commute to work. I presently work in security, but will gladly change fields if necessary.
Have you considered Homeland security? They are still hiring in Bangor. And may be hiring up North.

Quote:
... We want out of the crowded hustle and bustle of south Florida city life. I am looking to rent or lease option a good sized house with a little land (not using a realtor) that is in an area with relatively decent taxes, a good attitude to newcomers, wilderness activities, and decent social services. A live and let live type of place, where people treat you pleasantly because they are nice people, not because you have an expensive car or live in a ritzy neighborhood.
That well describes the scene here.

Maine is a relatively large place, and it has a very wide variety of communities.

Quote:
... I have never been to Maine, but most everything I have been reading in the postings encourages me. I will be coming up in either late April or early May to find us a place, and will be moving us up within a few weeks after.
Wow, you really need to come up and travel. Look around and sample the areas.

I can not adequately describe all of the various communities within Maine, nor the many many non-communities. The phrase 'community' draws to mind the image of a collection of people. Rural areas where your closest neighbor may be 5 miles away, rather stretches most folk's image of 'community'.

Where I am located; our little community has houses on average about every half mile.

Quote:
... It is even more difficult to do as my wife is unable to help. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I need to know exactly where I will be going when I come up to look, as I will have only one week to find a place. Thanks!
I simply can not do this.

Every regular poster here can sing to you the praises of his/her community. I do not know which one would suit you best.

For example 'Starwalker' moved to Maine this past week. She rented a trailer in Milo, as a temporary base, from which she could seek employment and learn about the surrounding communities.

I would recommend that you come to Maine, and sight see for a few days, and find a cheap home to rent. A six month lease maybe. Then once you are settled in it. Each weekend take a drive.

North, South, East, West; go out and sight-see. Learn about the areas of Maine and which of them would most truly suit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area