U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 17,985 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Finally decided to say hi, now that my soon to be wife and I's move is official. We are moving to Bangor in June.

We currently live in Texas (booming economy) and hate it. Not only does DFW have approx 6 million residents, it is being taken over by people from Mexico, Phoenix, and Cali. The schools are bad, and getting worse. There is a strip mall on every corner. And the billboards are slowly being changed to Spanish. We are both from San Antonio and fled there right after college. It was odd living in a town that had over 1 million people and only 25 to 30% were white.

Some say I am a contrarian. I do root for the underdog, and typically flee the masses. We just held the superbowl, I left town to get away from the stupidity. So when most people look at me crazy and ask why We choose Maine, I think to my self, "Well, for one because not many are thinking of moving there."

My fiancée has lined up her job, so now I search for living arrangements, and a job for me. Lawmom, if you read this I would be interested in knowing more about the house you are putting on the market.

Anyways, glad to be aboard and looking forward to seasons rather than warm and HOT! Glad to be rid of 40+ days over 100.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM

7,727 posts, read 11,635,215 times
Well, you certainly will have a change in the weather! Bangor is a nice "small city". Coming from the population in DFW it may seem more of a "town" to you. There is just about every store you could want in Bangor and the "traffic" will most likely seem non-existent to you. There is little racial diversity in Bangor as compaired to DFW. The schools (imo) are good andthe people are great.
Good luck on the big move. I hope all works out well for you.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,248,372 times
Welcome to the Maine forum!

Bangor will seem so tiny to you! But it is a nice small city, and I enjoyed living there. I will PM you about the house...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,330,366 times
We lived in the Bangor area for 15 years, and I loved it. It's a great area for families too. Keep us updated and congratulations!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM

I went to college in a town of about 30,000 so it will kinda similar in size. Everyone would flee on the weekend for "something" to do in Dallas. It was only an hour from Dallas so not truly comparable, but at least some similarity.

We visited back in October. The air was so crisp. I have been to the Jackson hole area of Wyoming many times and I would compare the temps and air quality to be about the same. Jackson has a much higher cost of living though!

We went to a trivia night at a local pub in downtown bangor, and it was alot of fun, and everyone we met was very friendly. Considering Texas is supposed to be the friendly state, that does say something. But with all the growth Texas has experienced it has changed. While Maine barely grows, and therefore remains fairly unchanged. "the way life should be" struck a chord.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 AM

10,264 posts, read 16,741,760 times
We are putting up a new sign as you come into Maine:

"Maine is Open For Business."

Most of us live here because we think this is indeed the way life should be, but we need reliable jobs. Maine is now far more job friendly than it was just three months ago.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM

There is healthy balance between no development, and let the builders/developers do whatever they want like in Texas. Here the state will even side with a "business interest" and use eminent domain to seize property, then sell it to developers. If that is not disrespecting private property rights, I don't know what is.

I am more libertarian than Republican, especially after gov Perry wanted the "transtexascorridor." his plan was to eminent domain streches of ranch land that had been in families generations, then allow a foreign company, from Spain, which donated to his campaign to build a toll road, that the company kept over 50% of the toll rather than the state, and had no sunset clause as to when it would no longer be tolled. Oh yea, the taxpayers were going to pay for most of the road too. That sure was a raw deal. It was killed, but still left a bad taste in your mouth, how a limited government/limited interference politician could not only support, but propose such a ridiculous plan.

/rant off

Last edited by Von Jager; 02-17-2011 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: iPhone typing

Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,248,372 times
Well, I'm keeping my mouth shut about our new gov. Here, at least. So far, anyway, I've been a good girl, lol.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:16 PM

33,356 posts, read 54,779,404 times
Welcome!

I hope that you have a job lined up?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM

The soon to be Mrs. does. She is the breadwinner, lol. I now start my search for a 2nd income. Her new employment will bring in enough to support us, until I find something if I have not found anything between now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area