U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,758 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a couple weeks. My family and I have determined that we'd like to go 'back to the land'. Aiming for the whole off-the-grid enchilada, lol. I've been researching locations and hitting road blocks for a year now -- but after spending the past couple weeks reading all of you raving about Maine, I'm really beginning to feel like Maine is where we need to be. So much so that I think I am ready to ask for recommendations for someone to help us. So if there's someone I should consider (or even someone I should NOT consider), please send me a DM and let me know. Thanks!

For anyone who's interested or has feedback on what we're looking for, here it is:

-- within 30-60 minutes of Bangor, any direction (And for those who've seen the Gilmore Girls, I would love 'Stars Hollow' or even just a Luke's)

-- 10+ acres (square-ish is better than a long skinny rectangle)

-- mostly wooded, with 2-4 acres cleared (2-4ac farmable is even better!)

-- a year round stream or brook would be very nice (water source and place for kids to splash a little)

-- structure (or homesite) out of sight, and at least 500 feet from road/other structures (my mother-in-law lives in a wooded corner of her 29 acres and within the past 10 years, 3 houses have popped up within 200 feet of her. In the winter, you can see them. It bugs me.)

-- up to 60K if water source/waste disposal is in place, up to 30K if we have to put it in

In our fantasy, we put up two yurts connected -- a 30ft for LR/DR/kid's rooms/bathroom, and a 16ft for our room -- on a floating deck-type foundation. We collect rainwater for all but drinking water (unless there's a well in place). Wood stove heat. Electric via solar (mini-hydro? wind? -- although I thought I read that Maine dislikes wind turbines).

Don't care about cable TV but we HAVE to have internet connection.

And that's most of what I've got.

Please, tell me what I've over-looked, what I'm mistaken about, where I'm just obviously clueless -- all of it.

Thanks!!!!!

-Meira

PS: a little about us --
3 kids: 13S, 6D, & 6S. They are currently in public school but eldest was homeschooled through 5th grade. Agnostic/athiest, but willing to attend church sporadically to make friends. If you're curious about anything else, please feel free to ask (I'll be grateful for the attention! lol).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM

7,010 posts, read 8,241,264 times
DM sent. Hilary should be able to find you what you need, sign her as your buyer broker and let her go to work. You should be able to get something that fits what you want in the radius you specify.

She found us what we wanted- no visible houses, 22 acres (half clear for farming), 1300' stream frontage, house 750'+ off the road...and nobody sez nuthin' when I sit on my porch and shoot tin cans with my .44mag...and only 20 miles from Bangor.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:12 PM

10,264 posts, read 17,119,262 times
"(mini-hydro? wind? -- although I thought I read that Maine dislikes wind turbines)."

Most of Maine likes wind turbines. There has never been a wind spill. There is a small noisy group that opposes logging, wind, hydro, nuclear, natural gas, biomass, coal and nuclear power. We call them CAVE people. That is Citizens Against Virtually Everything.

"Don't care about cable TV but we HAVE to have internet connection."

For your dream site 500 feet from the road you have a few options:

1. Satellite internet
2. Radio DSL from a repeater at the road
3. Buried wire from the road. You put the wire into the ground with a ditch witch or you hire a local to bury it with a tractor mounted back hoe.

We have people living with high speed satellite internet many miles from the nearest public road. They get along just fine.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 8,241,264 times
A couple of notes on internet connections:

DSL requires that your location be no more than 17,000 feet (approx. 3.2 miles) from the telco DSLAM (or remote Serving Area Interface) in order to receive the lowest level of service (768Kb/s downstream).

Some satellite options require a phone line as your uplink path which may limit upstream bandwidth to about 48Kb/s (or 26Kb/s in my case), and your downstream rate may be limited to about 400Kb/s.

If there is cable at the road, Time Warner in the Bangor area, they will typically not run more than 300 feet of cable at no cost- any extra distance will have to be paid by the customer. The last time I checked, they were charging about $2/foot for any distance over 300 feet. Depending on the distance, you may also require one or two inline powered amplifiers (about $40 ea. at Radio Shack).

Wild Blue may be an option, but last I knew it was a little pricey.

There is also the option of something like a Verizon Air Card, which operates on the cell network. Naturally, you must be located close enough to a cell tower for this to work.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:14 PM

34,411 posts, read 56,085,285 times
MeiraV -
You sound like you may fit right in.

Though honestly we can not fully tell until after a couple years.

... 'back to the land' - check

... the whole off-the-grid enchilada - check.

... I'm really beginning to feel like Maine is where we need to be - check.

... within 30-60 minutes of Bangor - check.

... 10+ acres (square-ish is better than a long skinny rectangle) - check.

... mostly wooded, with 2-4 acres cleared (2-4ac farmable is even better!) -check

... a year round stream -check.

... structure (or homesite) out of sight - check.

... up to 60K if water source/waste disposal is in place, up to 30K if we have to put it in - check.

.... In our fantasy, we put up two yurts connected -- a 30ft for LR/DR/kid's rooms/bathroom, and a 16ft for our room -- on a floating deck-type foundation. We collect rainwater for all but drinking water (unless there's a well in place). Wood stove heat. Electric via solar or mini-hydro, or wind - check

... Don't care about cable TV but we HAVE to have internet connection. - check

... homeschooled - check.

It sounds to me like you may have been separated at birth from many of the people we see in Maine.

Cut from the same mold / same tilt to the kilt / and so on.

I bought 42 acres of forest for $35k. Paved road, power / phone / DSL at the property line. Look at my profile photos to see our creek and river frontage.

Yes, I said river frontage. 1/4 mile of it

Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM

10,264 posts, read 17,119,262 times
He even had his phone line buried. As to the "creek" it is a VERY big creek.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM

28,220 posts, read 21,061,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is a small noisy group that opposes logging, wind, hydro, nuclear, natural gas, biomass, coal and nuclear power. We call them CAVE people. That is Citizens Against Virtually Everything.
LOL!! I'm so stealing that!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:19 PM

34,411 posts, read 56,085,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
He even had his phone line buried. As to the "creek" it is a VERY big creek.
It was a fine man, honest in business dealings and a true benefit to everyone who knows him; that dug the trench for our phone line.

I routinely recommend him to all who come near looking for a Maine realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>