U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,191,376 times

Advertisements

Greetings from NH

We are a large family from a small mountain town in NH. We are looking to relocate to Maine and after much searching have decided on the area just north of Bangor. I would like to be on the outskirts of Old Town and Ororno or the Three River Communities. In General within a 30 or so minute drive to the greater Bangor Area.
We are ideally looking for a decent size piece of property with an old farmhouse with plenty of room. I have no problem fixing it up as I am a carpenter and jack of all trades. Agricultural property would be the best as we also raise sheep, pigs, poultry, etc and grow as much of our produce as possible.
Price has a lot to do with it as we are just a big blue collared family. No trust funds here, though we have scrimped and saved for many years and have a nice nest egg.
I hope to reestablish my carpentry/construction company and my wife would be looking for LNA work preferably in the private sector. We also hope for decent public schools for our 4 children.
We have no desire to change anything in the town we move to. We believe in Live and Let Live. We would like to be active in our new community in anyway we can. We are happy to lend a hand. We also are Christians (though we are not religious fanatics) and hope to have a nice laid back welcoming church to fellowship in.
We are praying a lot to make this dream a possibility. It is possible - isn't it?
Thanks so much for any and all replies.
All the Best!
Rate this post positively

Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 AM

7,727 posts, read 11,632,700 times
Very possible. Both Penobscott and Piscaticus counties have many properties of the type you describe. Personaly, I think you have a better chance of getting a good price on the type of property you're looking for if you are able to arrange a private sale (without a realty company). One option you may want to consider is finding a house to rent for a year, that way you have a chance to scout around. If you become a member of a church, civic group, league, lodge or what have you, you'll make connections in your community. Express to them openly just what you're looking for. People will help you, they'll give you info on what they've seen or know about that's available. Hope to see you there .

Old 08-12-2007, 08:59 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,327,575 times
msina has great advice , and you've chosen a very nice area of Maine. I went to the University, and lived in the Bangor area for 11 years after that. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,191,376 times
Thanks for the great advice. I have been looking for a rental house for a while now. Maybe something that needs some renovations in exchange for a lowered rent.
Should anybody have or know of a rental please PM me. Even a good size camp with a privy is fine for us. Any leads are appreciated.
The big thing is the animals. We need a little space to fence the sheep in. We would happily lease for several years if the opportunity was there.
I can't agree enough with getting active within the community. Here we are members of our church. I am a member of the VFW. The kids are in 4H. My wife is a classroom parent. It is all such a positive impact on our lives and we hope to find that where we move.
Best to All!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:08 PM

33,350 posts, read 54,758,974 times
Welcome!

Come on down to the VFW and I will buy you a beer!

I am the chaplain at the post in old Town.

I would second the idea that you need to stay away from realtors when buying land in Maine. Drive around and look at places. Speak to folks in diners, and call the phone numbers that you see on 'for sale' signs.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,737 times
Smile home for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Greetings from NH

We are a large family from a small mountain town in NH. We are looking to relocate to Maine and after much searching have decided on the area just north of Bangor. I would like to be on the outskirts of Old Town and Ororno or the Three River Communities. In General within a 30 or so minute drive to the greater Bangor Area.
We are ideally looking for a decent size piece of property with an old farmhouse with plenty of room. I have no problem fixing it up as I am a carpenter and jack of all trades. Agricultural property would be the best as we also raise sheep, pigs, poultry, etc and grow as much of our produce as possible.
Price has a lot to do with it as we are just a big blue collared family. No trust funds here, though we have scrimped and saved for many years and have a nice nest egg.
I hope to reestablish my carpentry/construction company and my wife would be looking for LNA work preferably in the private sector. We also hope for decent public schools for our 4 children.
We have no desire to change anything in the town we move to. We believe in Live and Let Live. We would like to be active in our new community in anyway we can. We are happy to lend a hand. We also are Christians (though we are not religious fanatics) and hope to have a nice laid back welcoming church to fellowship in.
We are praying a lot to make this dream a possibility. It is possible - isn't it?
Thanks so much for any and all replies.
All the Best!
dear thread family
we are a family of four moving to Arkansas in November , we live in Eddington Maine as of right now, Eddington is 8 miles from down town Bangor right on route 9 directly across from the Eddington elementary school , this an old farm house that we bought back in 2004 and have been trying to fix up over the years but the company that I work for is leaving Bangor and sadly we must go with them.
We just put the house on the market with town and country we have 8.5 acres just far enough out to be cozy , the up stairs has been insulated and new wirering installed .if you are still looking please let us know and maybe we can work something out if not thank you for your time
Todd, Donna and kids

Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM

581 posts, read 618,788 times
I would strongly recommend Argyle.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 AM

sweater or socks?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM

581 posts, read 618,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
sweater or socks?
We're trying to have a serious discussion here......

Old 10-18-2007, 10:03 AM

.....k......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area