Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:31 PM

164 posts, read 240,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Your best bet would be to look somewhere else for a move if this is your true feelings and impression of communities in Maine. This is the single most foolish post I think I have read in a LONG time. I am absolutely Gobsmacked at some of your posts of how you view Maine and it's inhabitants. The garbage you are spewing in this post is un-verifiable at best, and a outright lie at worst.

I fail to comprehend why you would continue to look into moving to a place that you hold in such low regard as you show in your posts. That leaves two choices: 1) you're totally nuts or 2) you're a troll trying to stir the pot.

You are jumping to conclusions here far beyond what the OP has posted. Where has the OP stated that a "drug-addict broke into their home?" PLEASE show me where they say that. Prove me wrong please. PROVE that home invasion and burglary is a community sport ANYWHERE in Maine as you state. PROVE where petty theft and burglary is as common as finding a sandwich wrapper in a yard in NY. You have made some outlandish claims and as such the burden of proof of those claims is on your shoulders. Please post a link to verify any of your above claims. After living in Maine for 20 years I can say without a shadow of a doubt that you should NOT move to Maine. Actually you really should stop posting on the Maine forum if all you have are lies and foolish claims. They don't help anyone, and are not informational for those who are really searching for information on the true Maine.
Thank you.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Three wolves - I wouldn't leave my car unlocked all night. With so many out there looking for whatever they can find to sell for drug money - it's only a matter of time before they locate any unlocked car they can find and take whatever they can from it to sell.
After I bought my pickup truck, I was kind of concerned about the driver's vent window not locking shut. The lever to shut it is missing. So I was thinking about ways to replace it with some other device. But I did not get around to it quickly. Then one day I had to leave it overnight with a mechanic.

Of course I left him my one key to the truck, and when he was done with repairing it, he locked the truck.

When I went to get it the next day, with ignition key in hand, I was faced with a locked truck. I had never locked it before. And I did not door key when I bought it. The previous owner had never locked it.

Then I understood why the driver's vent window is missing it's latch.

The vent can not be locked shut so when someone mistakenly locks the truck, the owner is not locked out of it.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Quote:
Three wolves - I wouldn't leave my car unlocked all night. With so many out there looking for whatever they can find to sell for drug money - it's only a matter of time before they locate any unlocked car they can find and take whatever they can from it to sell.

I wouldn't either. Maybe 30 years ago but not now -no way.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
sadly, you may be right,
I still havent locked my car at night, or even lock my doors, at night/even during the day when no one is here

for 20 years i havent

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 10-23-2011 at 07:00 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 06:12 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
I'm not real worried about it where I am. I have one neighbor who is home, all the time, there is a business just a half a block away where someone is outside quite a bit and while people may keep to themselves, they also do know who is going where and when because they see almost everything.

Where I live is quite family oriented and small and amazingly private even though it's "in the middle of town"...sort of.

My other neighbor across the fence seems to always be there, in his yard, doing something.

And then I have my close neighbors who are constantly going in and out throughout the day so someone ripping us off would have an extremely high likelihood of getting caught.

That is, if they get past my dogs. They let me know each and every single time someone is outside even if it's a neighbor that they know. To them? Everyone is an intruder that must be put on notice.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I would find different research materials then because the ones you are using are full of BS, or you are reading these resources with a bias toward finding what you expect and not what they are really saying.
OK.

Here's one, right here on City Data today:

//www.city-data.com/forum/21404915-post30.html

Note where the poster in that link says, "Maine has TONS of petty crime.. I live in a great neighborhood and we have had our share of petty thefts and small burglaries"

Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
OK.

Note where the poster in that link says, "Maine has TONS of petty crime.. I live in a great neighborhood and we have had our share of petty thefts and small burglaries"
We had a series of break-ins around our home last fall. The gentleman of the duo that was doing this, 'won't be coming down to breakfast' anymore.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
My thoughts are the result of years of research.

They include the report of one acquaintance who moved to Maine (and whose report was the most alarming of all--albeit it was his experience in the part of Maine he moved to from Long Island).

Sources are books and other online sites, including sites similar to this one.

They also include Maine newspapers, most especially the Bangor Daily News, which I read six days a week.

And I also pay close attention to reader comments to articles in the Bangor Daily News (granted, such comments are anecdotal/hearsay--but so are the postings here).

I take all this information--including what I read here, and including the demoralization and societal breakdown that can happen to communities anywhere that have had their economy gutted by the economy and/or by the off-shoring of industry--process it in the light of my experience and knowledge of the world and history, and come up with the potential scenarios I posted earlier today, to weave together all that i've heard to form a picture.

I've previously voiced on this forum my concern over a rising illegal drug use and property crime rate in Maine (which is generally seems a problem throughout much of rural America).

And I've also previously voiced my lack of concern over the rate of violent crime in Maine, which my research has supported as being very low.

The crime stats bear me out.

Here--compare New York City burglary and theft rates to those of Bangor.

In 2009, Bangor's burglary rate is four times higher than New York City's.

And Bangor's theft rate is nearly four and a half times higher than NYC's.

See for yourselves:

Bangor (scroll down for crime table): //www.city-data.com/city/Bangor-Maine.html

New York City (scroll down for crime table): //www.city-data.com/city/New-York-New-York.html
Methinks you rely on faulty information a little too much - City Data included.

When BDN came out with the crime number link, the Bangor Police Department immediately refuted it with call records. I'm talking actual call records from dispatch. I've lived here all of my life, and in my line of work, I know MANY of Bangor PD's patrolmen and women. Bangor Daily News have often been accused (and rightly so in most cases) of being alarmists.

Yes, indeed, crime is going up everywhere but this is what happens when people have nothing better to do and aren't held accountable for their actions. However, to say that Bangor's burglary rate is 4 times higher than New York City's, is nothing short of ridiculous.

I'll also let you in on a little nugget of truth about crime stats in the Bangor area: Many of those who are creating those so-called 'stats,' are transients who are from all sorts of other cities (New York included btw).

Furthermore, they don't necessarily stay here for a long period of time. You may want to keep this in mind when you are reading statistics on crime.

I honestly would suggest that you refrain from commenting on an area that you have not set foot on yet.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:58 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
OK.

LOL! You link back to this same thread. Where is a link to a reputable source, meaning one that can be verified through public record. You yourself admit that the posts here on C-D are anecdotal/hearsay.

Plus there has been no-one except you that are saying that Mainers are thieves that make community sport out of robbery and burglary, where theft is as common as finding a sandwich wrapper in a yard in NY. Where are the links to the pure BS lies you have stated here?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:01 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,457 times
Okay, I guess we'll move on to brighter pastures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area