U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 29,071 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We have been planning a move to the Portland area for a while now, when all of a sudden a really great job opened up in Orono that I could (potentially) get. We are trying to research and do our homework on Orono and Bangor as fast as possible. We visited Portland and the surrounding areas in July and figured out where we wanted to live there including which school to put our 1st grader in. Now we have to start from scratch with Orono/Bangor. Of course, there is no guarantee at all that I will get this job, but there is a chance.

Does anyone have any feedback about the communities of Orono and/or Bangor? Also which schools are the best in your opinion? I saw Bangor H.S. on Newsweek's top highschools list. It was ranked near Cape Elizabeth H.S. I think.

ANY thoughts would be so appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 AM

5,054 posts, read 11,768,293 times
In our research and after visiting the areas you mentioned, I can say that we chose to head more northward in the state to stay away from the more urban lifestyle. When you get up into the Bangor area, you will find cheaper housing and a more relaxed and quieter lifestyle, I think. If you do side by side comparisons of some houses, you will be pleasantly surprised at the savings in Bangor vs. Portland.

Though Bangor is still a "large city" by Maine's standards, I guess, it is considerably smaller than Portland and still has that quaint charm we, personally, are looking for. I know there are some wonderful schools surrounding that entire area, and those who live that way can better advise you there.

Forest lives in Old Town, just north of Bangor, and is very happy with the area. I believe he has a child in HS, as well, if I remember correctly, and can probably advise you on that scene.

Good luck with the job!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 AM

7,727 posts, read 11,702,362 times
Bangor is a great area of the State. Orono has a lot to offer with the U.M.O. Campus there. I think you would be surprised at what the Bangor mall area has to offer, while still being able to drive a short distance and be "in the country". Housing costs are much better than the Portland area. There are a lot of outdoor recreational areas within a daytrip area, Hermon Mtn. for skiing, Baxter State Park. If you look around the area, I think you can find something that will work for you. Welcome to the City of Bangor

Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 PM

581 posts, read 627,455 times
Orono is cool.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 PM

9 posts, read 29,071 times
Thank you for your responses. I am looking forward to visiting Orono, Bangor and the other surrounding communities. As you guys have previously mentioned, I AM happy to see that house prices seem to be less than the Portland area!

David of the North,
What is cool about Orono? Is it because it is a college town, which can often have a cool, laid back feeling?

Also, do you know anything about the schools in that area?

Old 08-26-2007, 03:12 PM

581 posts, read 627,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley49 View Post
Thank you for your responses. I am looking forward to visiting Orono, Bangor and the other surrounding communities. As you guys have previously mentioned, I AM happy to see that house prices seem to be less than the Portland area!

David of the North,
What is cool about Orono? Is it because it is a college town, which can often have a cool, laid back feeling?

Also, do you know anything about the schools in that area?
Yes, Orono is "cool" because it is a university town. I can't really speak too much about the schools, but other earlier threads have explored that. Try searching this forum for "Orono schools".

Old 08-26-2007, 08:36 PM

33,768 posts, read 55,375,079 times
I am a member of the organic farmer's Market in Orono.

Our youngest son attends high school in Old Town.

We have lived in Maine for two years [this is my third summer, my family's second].

We fit right in and have been enjoying it.

I do not know much about Orono, sorry.

I wish you luck though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area