Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasmom26 View Post
@ MAINEr thanks i think we are gonna try to look for a house if we get to go to bangor, we have been in japan for 3 years in a small apartment iam ready for some space, with a place for my daughter to run , and see the 4 seasons, i know because of the snow sometimes its hard to commute so how far from bangor would u suggest living? i really wanna have open space so no downtown areas, thanks a lot for the help
Welcome. We have the Maine Air National Guard base here (as RHB mentioned).

101st Air Refueling Wing, Maine Air National Guard - Home

Bangor proper: The Official Municipal Website for the City of Bangor, Maine

There are several bedroom communites close to Bangor. Here are a few:

Veazie: Welcome to Veazie, ME

Glenburn: http://glenburn.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={05C71578-4C78-4F43-8411-7600E5ADA950 (broken link)}

Levant: Home - Town of Levant Maine

Across the bridges (3 of them) spanning the Penobscot River, you have the city of Brewer.

City of Brewer, Maine

Bedroom communites of Brewer include:

Eddington: Town of Eddington, Maine: Home

Holden: Town of Holden, ME*

Orrington: Orrington, Maine*

Most all of these communites are a short distance (relatively) from Bangor.

I posted the ones that immediately surround Bangor, but if you are looking for a more rural experience, then you can go farther outside of town.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,088 times
I live in west Corinth and commute to Bangor to work in the EARLY am hours...leave the house at 5 am most often, commute down Union Street ... it takes me less than 45 min to get to my job in the mall area on the west side of town.

This year I am mostly still driving my old 2 wr pickup; when I have to go in on a snowy day I take our all wheel drive Subaru, but even at the hour that I commute, the snow plows are out and the roads are not bad. I would just use good studded winter tires on the truck (with some weight in the bed) if we didn't also have the Sub. and I would not worry. they get out with the plows as soon as there is anything on the roads here... much more aggressive road clearing in the winter than anywhere else in the northlands where I have previously lived.

Quote:
@ MAINEr thanks i think we are gonna try to look for a house if we get to go to bangor, we have been in japan for 3 years in a small apartment iam ready for some space, with a place for my daughter to run , and see the 4 seasons, i know because of the snow sometimes its hard to commute so how far from bangor would u suggest living? i really wanna have open space so no downtown areas, thanks a lot for the help

Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,392 times
I'm a little further away than Starwalker, but it only takes me 30 min to get to Bangor, because I'm closer to the freeway.

My suggestion would be -find a place you like, see what your commute is, then double that time for snow storms - they clear the roads well, but while the snow is flying it's a slower drive.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM

276 posts, read 848,582 times
I live about 30 minutes from Bangor in Newport, I have driven the interstate to Bangor off and on for 7 years and have never had a problem getting there. One snow storm I had a 4 wheel drive mazda, like a ranger, and because I am so slow in the snow, it took me from 7 am until almost 8:30 to get there but that was going 20mph or less and stopping to snap my wipers every once in a while BUT once in 7 years is nothing. My mom is 70 and still drives from Newport to Bangor to work 5 days a week year round

Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,088 times
Yep, I don't live in the freeway direction, so take regular streets. I COULD cross Bangor from Union street to the Mall area on I-95 but have gotten in the habit of just taking a cross street instead. I am honestly not sure which is faster; I know the cross street way is a bit shorter, but it's pretty much even. Personal choice on my part, as I prefer to avoid freeways. Got my fill learning to drive in LA as a teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
I'm a little further away than Starwalker, but it only takes me 30 min to get to Bangor, because I'm closer to the freeway.

My suggestion would be -find a place you like, see what your commute is, then double that time for snow storms - they clear the roads well, but while the snow is flying it's a slower drive.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
The Air National Guard Base also has a commissary (that sells local produce in season )

Love the commissary! It's even nicer now since they remodeled.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
I think that Bangor or the surrounding area would be very military family friendly. Alot of people like the Glenburn & Holden areas.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 AM

17 posts, read 20,106 times
you guys are AWESOME thanks for all the info @RELOOP your wonderful thanks for all the links!!!! everyone is really helpful here thanks again

Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 AM

48 posts, read 123,714 times
And, FYI, there are plenty of homes within Bangor city limits that have nice, big front and back yards. Bangor is a small city by national standards, and only a relatively small proportion of the city is densely-settled. Some beautiful homes on big lots can be found in Fairmont and other neighborhoods, and you could also walk to parks and schools. Further out Ohio and Essex Streets, Broadway and Stillwater Ave are subdivisions with large (2-3 acre) lots, and still within city limits.
Good luck and welcome!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM

41 posts, read 155,827 times
Quote:
hi everyone!

i just had a few questions about the bangor area, we are a young USMC military family of three (my husband, and 1 year old), and could be possibly moving to bangor in a few months, My husband is a recruiter and thats where he could be stationed, is the area military friendly? how is the crime rate in that area? what surrounding areas would be a good place to look for a home to rent ? is it family friendly? and what kind of stuff is there to do? whats the best vehicle to purchase for the area? We are both from florida and are currently in okinawa japan so we have no clue how much it is on average to heat a home there, if anyone can help with these questions it would be much appreciated and anything you can add would be helpful

thanks a bunch in advance

Hi Avasmom26! We are a USMC family too. My husband is actually heading to Okinawa for deployment in a couple of months and the rest of us are heading to Maine to look for a home to finally settle down after all this moving!

My husband is close to retirement and as my kids get older I would like to see them settled in school. My husband recruited in Rhode Island a few years ago. If you have any Qs about recruiting feel free to send me a private message! I hope you guys get where you want to go!! My husband had requested North Carolina and we ended up in Rhode Island lol, but I loved every minute of it!

Nice to meet another Marine Corps Family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area