U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,471 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I currently live in Tacoma, WA and am looking to relocate back east as I am originally from Northern NY. I've been looking into the Bangor, ME area for quite some time now (I love the prospect of 4 distinct seasons again, very low crime and over all affordability, I'll deal with the harsh winters and fewer jobs for that), but have a few questions that I haven't been able to find online. First off, does anyone know if there are any providers of cable (not dsl or satelite) internet in the Bangor area? I haven't found any yet, but am not sure if that means there aren't any or I'm just looking in the wrong places. Also could anyone tell me what kinds of activities there are to do in there area? I understand it is fairly small but when I look at any online travel guides it appears there are only a couple restaurants and hotels and nothing else. I'm wondering if this is in fact the case or not. Any assistance anyone can give me will be appreciated, also if anyone would like to add any info about the Bangor region that I very well may not know, please feel free. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 11:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,440,037 times
time warner cable has road runner. Most travel guides are aimed at the coastal and forest regions. bangor is about an hour frm the ocean and about an hour away from the major forest getaways. Look for Acadia natl park or Bar Harbor for a glimpse

Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,850,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valinbelle View Post
Hello everyone, I currently live in Tacoma, WA and am looking to relocate back east as I am originally from Northern NY. I've been looking into the Bangor, ME area for quite some time now (I love the prospect of 4 distinct seasons again, very low crime and over all affordability, I'll deal with the harsh winters and fewer jobs for that), but have a few questions that I haven't been able to find online. First off, does anyone know if there are any providers of cable (not dsl or satelite) internet in the Bangor area? I haven't found any yet, but am not sure if that means there aren't any or I'm just looking in the wrong places. Also could anyone tell me what kinds of activities there are to do in there area? I understand it is fairly small but when I look at any online travel guides it appears there are only a couple restaurants and hotels and nothing else. I'm wondering if this is in fact the case or not. Any assistance anyone can give me will be appreciated, also if anyone would like to add any info about the Bangor region that I very well may not know, please feel free. Thanks!

Even though its been almost a year since I was there I can assure you there are more than just a couple of restaraunts and hotels there. Considering it is a city of a little over 30 thousand I feel it is pretty well represented in both areas ... moreso than the average place its size. Several of the chain eateries (Ruby Tuesdays, Appleby's, etc) are there as well as plenty of local stuff too. I kinda like The Ground Round (hope its still there) and The Governors is unique!

As far as activities I'll have to leave that to the locals but I wonder what your interest(s) are so maybe the answer could be more tailored to you!

Old 09-02-2007, 05:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,132,296 times
You could stroll by Stephen Kings house, but after a few nights, they may call in stalking!

Seriuosly though, I will turn it over to the locals.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,471 times
Thanks everyone who responded...I guess to be more specific, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is like a mall, bowling alley, pool hall, sports bar...etc... anything of that nature so that if you want to go out on a Friday night you can at least find something to do...I understand that it won't have the great number of amenities that a larger city has but a little bit of something would be nice

Old 09-02-2007, 01:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 11,695,927 times
This page has several of the listings you're looking for.

Attractions

And here is a pretty nice list of dining choices.

Dining/Catering

I understand that night life in Portland is more active, but I'm guessing you can find plenty of what you're looking for in Bangor as well. Happy hunting!

Old 09-02-2007, 02:47 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,558,431 times
Bangor serves as the commercial hub for most of Eastern Maine, including the coastal counties (Washington, Hancock, Knox, Waldo), so I would guess that most of what you looking for (not big ticket entertainment) you can find in Bangor. There is a mall (The Bangor Mall), as well as dozens of national box stores. There are a few bowling alleys, at least 3 movie theatres, children's museum, most of the major chain restaurants, as well as hotels, etc. In addition, there is also a decent downtown section of shops and eateries. Also you may want to search activities in Brewer, which is a sister city to Bangor- just across the river, and at the University of Maine campus and the Orono/Old Town area, which is less than 10 miles from most parts of Bangor.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:43 PM

33,347 posts, read 54,752,577 times
Freeway exits #186 and #187 are a mile apart and they both access Bangor's commercial park; where the mall and all big box stores are located. As well as a dozen restaurants. Folks from North or East all travel into Bangor for their shopping, as Bangor is the last big city as you go North.

I do see Canadian tour buses taking those off ramps and making the loops of the box stores.

They just finished the city music festival at the river park. The Shrine circus comes to Bangor once a year, gun shows, and lots of other activities.

There is a children's discovery museum, an Army museum, and Bangor has a city/forest boardwalk [where you can walk out onto a peat bog and learn about wild life there].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area