U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,317,408 times

Advertisements

Ok, folks.... I would love to see some recomendations for a place to camp mor good part of a week... within "commuting" distance of Bangor.

I will be tent camping with TWO dogs and all I need is a place to pitch the tent, a spigot for water and a privvy within reasonable distance to where I can park the pickup. Inexpensive (aka CHEAP)....

I am not into amenities... this may be a vacation in name but it is a job hunt in purpose and that is where my attention will be focused. But since I am trying to save as much $$ as possible for THE BIG MOVE (and crossing fingers that I am stressed to the max as it comes so quickly!) this is a low budget trip.

Anyone know anyone with a big backyard willing to make a few bucks? or an actually affordable camp site? I leave NC on Sept 20 in the evening and expect to be in ME by Sunday, Sept 23. I figure I'll have to head south again on Friday night in order to not be totally wiped at work Monday morning...

Starwalker
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 09:23 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,451,270 times
Paul Bunyan Campground is very close to BGR Iam not sure about tent sites Another one is The redbarn campground again not sure about tenting

Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 AM

When I moved from OR to TX and camped along the way I was surprised and dismayed to discovere that on the west coast a lot of camp grounds did NOT allow tents! the KOAs that did seemed to put them all along the front fence, might as well have been "main street" of the campground, with the max dust, traffic, light, disturbance.

Since I will be leaving my camp during the day, that is not exactly optimal... not to mention that one of the dogs tends to bark when startled by people...

I hope I don't end up spending every night I am there sleeping in the truck in a truck stop parking lot!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:14 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,164,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
When I moved from OR to TX and camped along the way I was surprised and dismayed to discovere that on the west coast a lot of camp grounds did NOT allow tents! the KOAs that did seemed to put them all along the front fence, might as well have been "main street" of the campground, with the max dust, traffic, light, disturbance.

Since I will be leaving my camp during the day, that is not exactly optimal... not to mention that one of the dogs tends to bark when startled by people...

I hope I don't end up spending every night I am there sleeping in the truck in a truck stop parking lot!
At least the dogs should protect you if it comes to that. I love to camp and it seems so inherently wrong that campgrounds that don't allow tents can exist.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:34 AM

6,953 posts, read 8,089,151 times
There's a campground on Rt. 2 between Carmel and Hermon, just outside of Bangor. I don't know if they do tents and I lost the site I found it on when my system freaked out yesterday- everything I had open was killed without warning. I can't remember which one it was and I had about 60 windows open at the time.

I can't guarantee anything, but if I close on the new house before then I'll have plenty of room to spare to pitch a tent. Unfortunately I'm in "hurry up and wait" mode right now. The money is all set on my end, just waiting for everyone else to sign the papers so the appraiser can do his thing.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 PM

7,727 posts, read 11,692,175 times
One of the only campgrounds in Maine with woods,paintball, and fun

Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I can't guarantee anything, but if I close on the new house before then I'll have plenty of room to spare to pitch a tent. Unfortunately I'm in "hurry up and wait" mode right now. The money is all set on my end, just waiting for everyone else to sign the papers so the appraiser can do his thing.
Oh, yeah I know that one... from working at a realty office. I'll be sending all the "fall into line" vibes I can you way! and thanks for the offer.

Sorry that your system swallowed the url. I just HATE it when that happens. I'm another "too many windows open" type... in fact I even have TWO monitors on this system so I can open more! LOL

Starwalker

Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM

I will keep it in mind, but I do not WANT paintball and fun, I WANT quiet and sleep when I get back to my tent... LOL

Old 09-03-2007, 01:05 PM

6,953 posts, read 8,089,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Oh, yeah I know that one... from working at a realty office. I'll be sending all the "fall into line" vibes I can you way! and thanks for the offer.

Sorry that your system swallowed the url. I just HATE it when that happens. I'm another "too many windows open" type... in fact I even have TWO monitors on this system so I can open more! LOL

Starwalker
LOL, thanks for the vibes. And, buried in my history files I found what I had been looking at:

Shady Acres Rv & Campgrounds

Categories: Add

Hampden Rd
Carmel, ME 04419 (207) 848-5515

As far as windows open- with the setup I have, I can have as many as twenty different desktops running at once, each accessible with a click or a scroll of the mouse-wheel on a taskbar, with a single monitor. Each desktop can have different programs running on it.

Usually nothing bad happens, but like in this case, even if it does, it doesn't kill the whole operating system like MS Windows does. It just killed the user programs. The power of the Penguin.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The power of the Penguin.
I saw that coming... reading about your different desktops, etc. I have played around a bit with the Penguin... I have a very good geeky-type friend who is big into Linux.

I play in the Adobe/Macromedia (now all Adobe...) universe though, and as far as I know you still have to stay on the dark side to do so. I have used GIMP, though, and will transition to 100% open source in a heartbeat as soon as I can do the work I do (both in print and Intenet work) from there.

I need professional quality page layout, vector-based drawing and such that will "play nice" with the big boys at the print shop and such, and for that -- as far as I know -- Adobe is the industry standard. Everytime I talk to them I nudge, though... and they say... "someday" they will support Linux. When there is $$ to be made, of course...

and thanks for finding the info!
Starwalker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area