U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:12 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,416,413 times

Advertisements

BGR is a smallish airport. Unless you live by the fence at the end of the runway I doubt it would be a problem. I lived in Little City for a while and never noticed the air traffic. But then again, I spent 20+ years in Air Force working the flightline and living on base.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:20 PM

3,442 posts, read 6,066,444 times
For answers to your drinking water questions you could check out Bangor Waterworks which must be on line. The supply comes from a place called Floods Pond which is quite a distance from here but is high quality. I do believe it is floridated before it reaches the tap. I wish it wasn't, but most places have that now except if you would live in a house that has a well.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 PM

I chuckled when reading Retiredtinbender's comment on the Airport being "smallish". I guess he didn't know that the "Concord" used this air strip quite often as one of the few that was long enough to accommodate it. We now have 5 commercial airlines that fly out of Bangor. 2 of which are US Air and Delta.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 PM

3,035 posts, read 5,416,413 times
Well I meant by traffic standards, not length. I remember cutting classes at EMVTI in 1974 to go watch the Concord landing at Bangor. Missed the ceremony inside. I worked at Telford on 9/11. I remember all the wide bodies that had to land immediately . B-52's (loaded for "Bear" or not) take a lot of runway to take off and land. Not to mention the "crash and dash" practices.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Yes - the runway can be sporaticly busy, especially when they are doing training for the huge refueling tankers. Those suckers are LOUD but thankfully not constant.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 AM

11 posts, read 15,578 times
In answer to your questions NEGirl, we lived in NH for many years and when we retired decided to try Maine. Mostly the house we bought brought us to Maine. I looked at several throughout the State. I'm happy with Bangor. We live in a quiet town and Bangor is close by. As I said, we're pleased with medical and have been able to find all we need in Bangor. If you are not able to drive you might find it a different experience. I've always avoided living in a city.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,584,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
BGR is a smallish airport. Unless you live by the fence at the end of the runway I doubt it would be a problem. I lived in Little City for a while and never noticed the air traffic. But then again, I spent 20+ years in Air Force working the flightline and living on base.
Is there an AF base there? The reason I'm nervous about being close a base (again) is that here, the jets feel like they're going to crash into my house, and they're active up to 10 o'clock at night. Just kind of worries me, that and the water in terms of fluoride. I like Bangor a lot, my daughter is now in Maine and I will soon have a cousin there too.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,165,110 times
I have never actually lived in Bangor but been there hundreds of times. I have thought of living there before and in the future when I retire so I've already gone through all the positives and negatives that would affect me. The sound of loud airplane engines over my house comes in about 20th on my list. BUT, I have never lived where you do and don't know from personal experience what that must be like. However, I did live under a railroad bridge for a few months once in Havre De Grace, MD when I was in the army. I didn't like that too much either. Not living under a railroad bridge is number one on my list.

As others have said, shopping...check, medical...check, schools...check, walking...check, quiet neighborhoods...check, flouride in the water......almost made it. Looks like they are going to reduce it though.

Bangor to reduce fluoride in water — Health — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM

2,734 posts, read 5,528,248 times
What areas don't have fluoride in the drinking water?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,346,237 times
You could get a place with well water...or you could buy non fluoridated water for drinking and cooking....flouride shouldn't matter for showers or baths....you could catch rain water in barrels if you need water for veggie garden watering. I wouldn't let fluoride in the water keep me from living in Bangor if that were where I wanted to live. Try it and if you don't like it, move. You could rent for a while rather than buying a house....test the waters so to speak.

My cousin and her husband were retired military and moved back to Maine to live out their lives. After a brief time in Washington County, they moved to Bangor--Knox Avenue, another place near EMMC, and later West Broadway. I don't remember any complaints from them.

I visit friends in Bangor. Even at Nicky's out near the airport, sitting outside eating ice cream, I don't remember airplane noise being a problem.

http://bangorinfo.com/

http://www.hammondstreet.org/

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 03-25-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area