U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,530,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Yes - the runway can be sporaticly busy, especially when they are doing training for the huge refueling tankers. Those suckers are LOUD but thankfully not constant.
Heard all over Bangor and surrounding towns?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I have never actually lived in Bangor but been there hundreds of times. I have thought of living there before and in the future when I retire so I've already gone through all the positives and negatives that would affect me. The sound of loud airplane engines over my house comes in about 20th on my list. BUT, I have never lived where you do and don't know from personal experience what that must be like. However, I did live under a railroad bridge for a few months once in Havre De Grace, MD when I was in the army. I didn't like that too much either. Not living under a railroad bridge is number one on my list.

As others have said, shopping...check, medical...check, schools...check, walking...check, quiet neighborhoods...check, flouride in the water......almost made it. Looks like they are going to reduce it though.

Bangor to reduce fluoride in water — Health — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine
Thanks for this link. I was sorta hoping that Mainers wouldn't allow this stuff in their drinking water, unlike most of Mass. I wonder if there's a website that tells which towns are, and which are not ?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You could get a place with well water...or you could buy non fluoridated water for drinking and cooking....flouride shouldn't matter for showers or baths....you could catch rain water in barrels if you need water for veggie garden watering. I wouldn't let fluoride in the water keep me from living in Bangor if that were where I wanted to live. Try it and if you don't like it, move. You could rent for a while rather than buying a house....test the waters so to speak.

My cousin and her husband were retired military and moved back to Maine to live out their lives. After a brief time in Washington County, they moved to Bangor--Knox Avenue, another place near EMMC, and later West Broadway. I don't remember any complaints from them.

I visit friends in Bangor. Even at Nicky's out near the airport, sitting outside eating ice cream, I don't remember airplane noise being a problem.

Bangor, Maine

Hammond Street Senior Center - Bangor, Maine
Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 15,521 times
Driving up 95, I've seen those big tankers flying in. No noise though. Only once when an airliner was coming in for a landing, I heard it. Sure woke me up. otherwise nothing.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,272,914 times
The 'noise' of the tankers is simply, the sound of Freedom! The B-52's at Dow were louder.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 AM

3,638 posts, read 5,731,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Yes - the runway can be sporaticly busy, especially when they are doing training for the huge refueling tankers. Those suckers are LOUD but thankfully not constant.

They reworked the engines a few years ago and upgraded them so they're not nearly as loud as they used to be. My grandmother lived in South Brewer and they used to fly directly over the house - the dishes literally rattled in the cupboard. I didn't spend the night there very often because I couldn't get a wink of stinking sleep between them and the commercial jets.

Since 9/11 the ANG has been a 24 hour operation. It's not necessarily training that they're doing when they are flying. A few years back I took a college class with a lady who like to complain about them 'training' at 3 a.m.

After about the 4th time I listened to it, I laughed out loud. When she said "What?" I said: "Do you seriously think that they 'train' at 3 in the morning? Did it ever occur to you that they must leave by 3 a.m. to meet a receiver over the ocean at a predetermined time in order to coordinate the mission?"

"Oh."

Come to find out she rented a house in Hermon that was situtated pretty much at the end of the runway. Go figure.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 AM

3,638 posts, read 5,731,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Heard all over Bangor and surrounding towns?

Not necessarily. It depends on the proximity of your home to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area