U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 20,521,088 times
Reputation: 15749

Advertisements

Any and all comments, suggestions, etc welcome from a New Englander exploring that area...from the perspective of both natives and those who have moved there from "away"...and from those who are making Bangor their retirement home. Please include senior amenities.

Thanks, Mainers~~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
 
Location: USA
118 posts, read 263,239 times
Reputation: 114
My mother grew up in Manchester N.H. and choose to retire in Bangor. It's a small town but a retail and medical hub. It's probably one of the better areas of Maine to retire in. Not too rural but not too huge either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 20,521,088 times
Reputation: 15749
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
My mother grew up in Manchester N.H. and choose to retire in Bangor. It's a small town but a retail and medical hub. It's probably one of the better areas of Maine to retire in. Not too rural but not too huge either.
I looked a lot further south but nothing seems to match my needs and interests like Bangor. It looks like a great place to be a volunteer in some way too. There seems to be a lot of community spirit. I like that there are arts there, like concerts and symphony etc. I don't want a bigger city (Portland), and even though I'd love to live rural I cannot for a number of reasons.

I see online that Bangor has about ten public parks, which is great. And a transportation system (bus). Does anyone know how regular the bus schedule actually is? It seems to loop to Orono, according to the website. I have always maintained a car, but having a backup transportation system is a plus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 AM
 
Location: USA
118 posts, read 263,239 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I looked a lot further south but nothing seems to match my needs and interests like Bangor. It looks like a great place to be a volunteer in some way too. There seems to be a lot of community spirit. I like that there are arts there, like concerts and symphony etc. I don't want a bigger city (Portland), and even though I'd love to live rural I cannot for a number of reasons.

I see online that Bangor has about ten public parks, which is great. And a transportation system (bus). Does anyone know how regular the bus schedule actually is? It seems to loop to Orono, according to the website. I have always maintained a car, but having a backup transportation system is a plus.
Yes the Maine center for the arts hosts many great concerts and brings a great deal of cultural character to the area. My mother was the volunteer coordinator for saint joseph's hospital before her final retirement and she is now heavily involved in the troop greeting efforts at the bangor airport. The bus system isn't as good as it should be with bus stops being a bit scattered and far apart but it's not terrible either depending on where you live and where you want to go.

There may be other things specifically for retiree's that I am not aware of, and my mother (whom retired at a fairly young age might not be aware of either.) It's a fairly safe town and I personally think it'd be a great area to be a kid or to be old in.

If you'd like I could ask my mother specific questions for you (as she doesn't use the internet much) I'm just telling you what information I've observed...

Downside is winters can be harsh, so depending on your age and physical ability it might be a good idea to pay for snow removal...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,206 posts, read 54,463,408 times
Reputation: 23688
The last few years they have been hosting a lot of music festivals each summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: 3.5 sq mile island ant nest next to Canada
3,034 posts, read 5,395,822 times
Reputation: 2165
Bangor is a great jumping off spot to get to other places too. Fairly centrally located to get anywhere else in the state,. I tried to get the BAT schedule (same BAT time. sorry, had to) but it was a dead link. Try City of Bangor website and see if you can make it work.

www.bangormaine.gov
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 20,521,088 times
Reputation: 15749
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
Yes the Maine center for the arts hosts many great concerts and brings a great deal of cultural character to the area. My mother was the volunteer coordinator for saint joseph's hospital before her final retirement and she is now heavily involved in the troop greeting efforts at the bangor airport. The bus system isn't as good as it should be with bus stops being a bit scattered and far apart but it's not terrible either depending on where you live and where you want to go.

There may be other things specifically for retiree's that I am not aware of, and my mother (whom retired at a fairly young age might not be aware of either.) It's a fairly safe town and I personally think it'd be a great area to be a kid or to be old in.

If you'd like I could ask my mother specific questions for you (as she doesn't use the internet much) I'm just telling you what information I've observed...

Downside is winters can be harsh, so depending on your age and physical ability it might be a good idea to pay for snow removal...
Thanks very much, I'll DM you when I get a few questions together. Do you live in Bangor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
3,442 posts, read 6,045,842 times
Reputation: 4032
Glad you decided to retire to Bangor. I don't think you will be disappointed. We have a very special Senior Center. It's located in a lovely remodeled bank building downtown on State Street. It's known as HSSC (Hammond Street Senior Center) but it is actually ON State Street. Go figure. It is open daily Monday - Friday from 8:30 to 4:30. There is a weekly luncheon on Wednesdays, dozens of courses available, trips etc.

My son uses the bus system (The Bat) every weekdway and they are very reliable and reasonable price too. It runs every half hour on the most popular routes and I think every hour on routes to Orono and Hamden. I think the last bus of the day is 6 pm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 AM
 
Location: USA
118 posts, read 263,239 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks very much, I'll DM you when I get a few questions together. Do you live in Bangor?
Not anymore no. I moved away not too long ago. My mother and sister still do though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,206 posts, read 54,463,408 times
Reputation: 23688
My Dw works in Bangor, we do most of our shopping in Bangor/Brewer. We like the area.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top