Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 PM

Location: Wherever they send me... (Family are based in Oregon)
61 posts, read 181,147 times

Advertisements

I moved over to America from England in 2005 and married my wife, Sarah. Things I love about America: 50's diners, the vast unspoilt landscape.
Nickel and Dimed it for the first year I was here while my work permit / Permanent Residence was being processed. Recycling cans for cash, hard times. Then finally got my Social Security Number, transferred my English RN license over to America and have been working as a nurse on an oncology department and also for a local hospice ever since. Bought a house here in Oregon, but getting tired of working 6 days a week to pay the mortgage and never seeing the wife or kids.
Thus.... I am moving to Maine on October 1st. Have a few job interviews lined up but have my heart set on Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor on the oncology floor.
Why Maine? Rural, beautiful, snow, a tougher climate makes for people with sturdier values and not so wishy washy. Low crime rate. 95% pine trees. Affordable property (compared to the West coast). Seems a great place to raise a family. Flights back to England over the pond are a LOT cheaper than they are from Oregon, thus I can see my English family and friends and they see me more frequently. Generally, totally in love with Maine. Reminds me of all the fishing villages back in England, like in Cornwall, Somerset, Devon. And the sun rises first in Maine, of all the states in America. Sunrises and snow are inspiring. Maybe time to do some writing as well as spend more time with my wife and children. That's all. Plain and simple.
Anyone with any advice on areas to look for property in a commutable distance from Bangor would be greatly appreciated.
I'm the advance party for my family, kind of like Lewis and Clarke but in reverse... So I'm coming over, hopefully renting a room in a house somewhere in Bangor, then trying to buy a house for my family to come and join me.
Looking at spending in the region of $125,000. Love those old colonial houses. Balconies. Water views. At least an acre, but maybe more. As rural as I can get without being more than 20 minutes drive from Bangor (my wife doesn't drive yet so she doesnt want to feel TOO isolated). Small communities.
Which areas do I want to avoid, if any?
I am thinking good areas to look at are Bucksport, Winterport, Ellsworth, and even Bangor and Brewer, if there is a house with enough acreage that I don't have to be too close to any neighbors. But also would consider a cabin on a lake, but don't know the area to figure where to start looking. I've also been offered a job at Blue Hill Memorial Hospital, and that looks very enticing.
Suggestions anyone?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 AM

136 posts, read 327,695 times
I don't live in Maine, but have reading the posts for awhile. Questions about Bangor seem to be fairly common, so you could do a search and read the posts that come up. I've read many favorable posts about Bangor - it sounds like a really nice town!

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 AM

581 posts, read 713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English_Nurse View Post
Looking at spending in the region of $125,000. Love those old colonial houses. Balconies. Water views. At least an acre, but maybe more. As rural as I can get without being more than 20 minutes drive from Bangor (my wife doesn't drive yet so she doesnt want to feel TOO isolated). Small communities.
Which areas do I want to avoid, if any?
I am thinking good areas to look at are Bucksport, Winterport, Ellsworth, and even Bangor and Brewer, if there is a house with enough acreage that I don't have to be too close to any neighbors. But also would consider a cabin on a lake, but don't know the area to figure where to start looking. I've also been offered a job at Blue Hill Memorial Hospital, and that looks very enticing.
Suggestions anyone?
Thanks!
Greetings, English_Nurse,

I would look up and down the Penobscot River, both sides, for starters. From Orrington, south of Bangor, to Old Town, and north, north of Bangor. Generally speaking, south of Bangor is somewhat yuppified, while north of Bangor is still largely native Mainers. Also, the economic vitality is less north of Bangor than south and southeast toward and including Ellsworth. Take a look at this map:
Google Maps and if you have any more specific questions, I or we will try to answer them. As you say, and we adopted, Cheers!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
I lived in Milford (north of Bangor) for many years. I love the Bangor area but prefer the smaller towns north. There are many small towns within a twenty minute drive of the city that are nice and affordable. I happen to be a "Maine-Iac", maybe that's the reason I do prefer small towns. There is bus service to Bangor from Orono and Old Town, not sure about other places.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 AM

34 posts, read 91,227 times
Stetson is a nice small town outside of Bangor. Our 1877 colonial has lots of charm, wood floors, built-ins, porches...There is a lake in Stetson. You might also want to try Hermon and Glenburn. I hope you get the job at EMMC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area