U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,533 times

Advertisements

I am moving from north Carolina because of my job. I am wondering if I will fit in. I am very conservative and have a very bad accent. Also how bad can the winters be? Finally I am looking into a house for sale in old town. Dose old town have good schools?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM

36 posts, read 52,140 times
To be honest, your accent won't make a bit of difference. No one is going to care, although you will be asked where you are from once in a while. That is to be expected though, and in no way a negative thing.
As for you being conservative, more than likely no one will even ask you. If you don't make a big deal of it, no one else will.

HTH,

Amy J

Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM

19,444 posts, read 26,750,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemon11 View Post
I am moving from north Carolina because of my job. I am wondering if I will fit in. I am very conservative and have a very bad accent. Also how bad can the winters be? Finally I am looking into a house for sale in old town. Dose old town have good schools?
you should get along fine- do unto others...................

we dont have accents, so we kinda like to hear some,

Old 06-20-2012, 05:05 PM

404 posts, read 718,732 times
you'll do fine if they ask about your accent its just cause they are interested not to make fun of you.
Old town/Orono is a college town and there are people from other places that have settled there. The schools are good and its basically a very nice reasonably priced area of bangor to settle in. You'll be fine in the winter...but on a 97 degree day like today with only a window unit well you'll get used to it, it doesn't last long...it will be highs in the 70's again next week.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM

26,726 posts, read 20,021,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Ba.Lon.Ey!

The other day, I was at a friend's house and was introduced to some of her friends. One was a native Mainer. Anyway, we got to talking about my old job, (in Miami), and to make a long story short, she said, "Yah, because most alligators are in packs."

I looked at her quizzically. Packs? No they aren't. I told her, "Packs? No, they are not social animals..."

I was then informed she had said, "parks".

You don't have an accent up here?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:39 PM

6,307 posts, read 12,261,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Ba.Lon.Ey!

The other day, I was at a friend's house and was introduced to some of her friends. One was a native Mainer. Anyway, we got to talking about my old job, (in Miami), and to make a long story short, she said, "Yah, because most alligators are in packs."

I looked at her quizzically. Packs? No they aren't. I told her, "Packs? No, they are not social animals..."

I was then informed she had said, "parks".

You don't have an accent up here?
No, no. She didn't say packs. She said pahks. Wolves run in packs. Gatahs live in pahks.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 PM

33,241 posts, read 54,521,648 times
When we moved to Maine, our youngest son transferred to Old Town high school. We thought they were great.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 AM

3,638 posts, read 5,732,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Snicker...see right there what he just did? ROFL Ayuh.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM

264 posts, read 708,611 times
We bought our house up here 4 years ago now. We are originally from New Jersey (and I don't have an accent ) We are asked periodically where we moved here from. Most often it's from saying Wooder (Water) LOL. They are only curious and most often than they start telling about others they know from there also etc.

And, my kids go to Lincoln, but I was sub teaching in Old Town for 1/2 years and I really loved the district. I'd have been happy to put my kids in the district if that was where we had moved.

I think you'll be happy here

Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM

822 posts, read 847,757 times
Depends where in NC she's from, she may have an accent if she's from down east (other side of Raleigh) she could have a slight accent as opposed to us up here in the Piedmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area