Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:10 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times

Advertisements

If I'm an ordinary blue collar, gun-totin', broom-riding granola Democrat I guess I'll just sort fit in anywhere... but not TOO well, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 PM

581 posts, read 712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
If I'm an ordinary blue collar, gun-totin', broom-riding granola Democrat I guess I'll just sort fit in anywhere... but not TOO well, eh?
In Old Town and Milford, yes. Keep the gun concealed everywhere else unless you're up in Aroostook or maybe western mountains. Washington County would be Ok. Actually, in Washington County you want to have a racked rifle in the cab of your pickup or they'll flip you the bird, isn't that right Molly? Really, Maine's a pretty good place.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:36 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
LOL, I'm a gun totin' Independent/Libertarian/Constitutionalist who tends to vote Republican because none of the types I'd *like* to see in office stand much of a chance of getting there so I go with the lesser of the evils.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,561 times
Default Ouch

I think different viewpoints are okay.

But I don't understand why someone is allowed to vote twice. Am I reading this correctly? I would consider that a criminal act.

Go help them drum better, for heaven's sake. Drumming should be FUN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
This is sooo... right on! We tried to get a legislative bill passes to prevent the students from voting local and vote absentee from whatever town or state they crawled in from.

Being a degree student at UMO the last couple of years, I can tell you without a doubt the moonbat culture is alive and well. The athletes are coddled and clueless, and most of the young students are indoctrinated into the liberal mindset. They hold regular peace rallies (anti Bush/war rallies) complete with moronic drumming. You almost have ti kick them out of your way to enter the mall entrance of the library.

The ROTC crowd is pretty cool. On Veterans day they take turns maintaining a vigil at the library entrance in full uniform. They are great listeners and appreciate their chosen career paths. I have sometimes enjoyed regaling them with tales of exploits from the Cold War era and they seem to appreciate it.

There is a moonbat house on the main drag with the thousands of small red flags representing the Iraq KIA's. I'm sure it is more of an 'in your face' thing, rather than a true memorial!

Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 PM

Default that's easy

It's so the college can get daddy's MONEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Tomorrow I will be at the Farmer's Market and I will be talking to grad students who are a part of the Orono "permaculture design experimental habitat".

One of them buys my eggs each week, because when we talk about the Common Grounds Fair, I call it the 'Hippy Fair", he thinks that is funny.

They like the idea that my chickens run loose in the forest. LOL

I still do not understand why you need a certificate to 'design' a permaculture. ???

Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM

Default oddballs ?

Maybe it's just me but I find it VERY odd that a person seeking a college education would choose to label someone as an oddball for performing their constitutionally protected right to compel 'the fearless leaders' to uphold the oath they took when they took office to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States of America.

Are you always looking for ways you can disagree with people and label them or sometimes do you look for ways that you can agree and live here in the world together?

We're all rowing the same boat. You just like the oddballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Hmm, well, if the town has some permaculturalists and people who are in-your-face with their criticisms of the government, it's one thing if they're just a few oddballs who give the town some color. It's something else altogether if the overall sentiments in the town make it a hostile place for someone who doesn't toe the politically correct line. The post quoted here would lead me to suspect that Orono fits the latter description. If so, well, if the university itself seems like the right place to pursue my studies, I'll go there, but at least I've gotten some good warning about what to expect. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:13 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
Maybe it's just me but I find it VERY odd that a person seeking a college education would choose to label someone as an oddball for performing their constitutionally protected right to compel 'the fearless leaders' to uphold the oath they took when they took office to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States of America.

Are you always looking for ways you can disagree with people and label them or sometimes do you look for ways that you can agree and live here in the world together?

We're all rowing the same boat. You just like the oddballs.
Um, I'm not actually quite sure what you're saying here. I think I have sort of an idea, but . . . not sure.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
mainewannabe wonders:
"But I don't understand why someone is allowed to vote twice. Am I reading this correctly? I would consider that a criminal act."

It is indeed a criminal act, but it gets a wink and a nod in Maine college towns. It's like the old Democrat machine motto in Chicago; "Vote early and often."

Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
I . Actually, in Washington County you want to have a racked rifle in the cab of your pickup or they'll flip you the bird, isn't that right Molly? Really, Maine's a pretty good place.
My husband would be in heaven if we moved to Washington County

Old 10-18-2007, 07:39 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Hmmm, do you drive a Volvo?

LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area