U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM

13 posts, read 13,663 times

Advertisements

My fiance has been offered a job in Bar Harbor (he is used to commuting quite a ways for work) however I have heard the commute to Bar Harbor in the summer from bangor can be bumper to bumper adding quite some time to his commute- is this in fact the case (this is what our friends in Belfast told us) but I thought I should double check - thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM

404 posts, read 726,199 times
yes it can be very busy july & august in the summer and a few weeks in the fall....however most people on vacation are not awake during commute times going....comming home could be a bit more busy, all depending on where in bangor he could take some back ways. my point is if this is a year round job..its only a portion of the year he'll be inconvenienced.

i was in bar harbor during the week 2 weeks ago and while I experienced heavy tourists in town...the road between bar harbor & Bangor was not bad at all. And again the perspective of traffic is all relative. I've never encountered any thing surrounding bar harbor as bad as say Jersey, boston, dc, tampa, huston...etc

Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM

1,703 posts, read 2,383,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel1211 View Post
My fiance has been offered a job in Bar Harbor (he is used to commuting quite a ways for work) however I have heard the commute to Bar Harbor in the summer from bangor can be bumper to bumper adding quite some time to his commute- is this in fact the case (this is what our friends in Belfast told us) but I thought I should double check - thanks so much!
Is your fiance used to commuting on interstates or on two and three lane roads? Of course the length of time for the drive is influenced by where in Bangor you are living, plus traffic/time of year/weather and road conditions. It could easily take 1 hr. 15 min. or more in the summer. In a bad snow storm, it could take 3 hours. I like Bangor but if I were going to work in Bar Harbor, I wouldn't want to live in Bangor and make the drive every day.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,820,599 times
Finding affordable housing on Mt. Desert Island can be a challenge, but if you have the option perhaps you could consider moving to the Ellsworth area. The Bangor-Bar Harbor commute in the summer is bad enough, but that road in the winter can be a real bear.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,789,677 times
You're looking at a commute close to 40 or 50 miles one way. Tourist traffic definitely causes backups in the summer months. Route 3 from Ellsworth to Bar Harbor is a two-lane road that should be four or even six, and you can consider yourself lucky if traffic is moving at anything more than 20 miles per hour under the limit.

Route 1A from Bangor to Ellsworth doesn't seem as bad. At least it has a lot of passing lanes going up the hills, so you can generally get by the slowpokes and maintain the speed limit most of the way to Ellsworth.

Route 3 is the Bottleneck, as it's the only road from the mainland to the Island.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,290,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Finding affordable housing on Mt. Desert Island can be a challenge, but if you have the option perhaps you could consider moving to the Ellsworth area. The Bangor-Bar Harbor commute in the summer is bad enough, but that road in the winter can be a real bear.
Could even try looking at Franklin. I interviewed for an MDI job and explored the different little towns to see where I might want to live. I found Franklin to be very nice and quaint with one block of stores/a bank/restaurants. Someone living there would need to go to Ellsworth for most shopping but Bangor isn't too far away to visit on weekends for entertainment, dining, etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
You're looking at a commute close to 40 or 50 miles one way. Tourist traffic definitely causes backups in the summer months. Route 3 from Ellsworth to Bar Harbor is a two-lane road that should be four or even six, and you can consider yourself lucky if traffic is moving at anything more than 20 miles per hour under the limit.

Route 1A from Bangor to Ellsworth doesn't seem as bad. At least it has a lot of passing lanes going up the hills, so you can generally get by the slowpokes and maintain the speed limit most of the way to Ellsworth.

Route 3 is the Bottleneck, as it's the only road from the mainland to the Island.
Your post has inspired me to make a few comments starting with....ahhh Maine--the way life should be. It's amazing how Maine has managed quite nicely with one road from Trenton to Thompson's Island to MDI for the lifetimes of many people. People need to learn how to be patient--could add years to their lives. You're right about Rt. 3 being mostly a two lane road but there are a few spots where there is a third lane with a sign "Slower traffic keep right." The tourists keep coming--can't seem to get them to stay out of state. Maine roads don't need to have four or six lanes; people need to chill out, relax, slow down and smell the roses, the pine trees, the ocean, and the wood smoke at Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. Why be in such a big RUSH all the time....hurry hurry hurry. That is for city folks and outah staters.

It cracks me up to watch cars with out of state plates ride the hind end of my car chomping at the bit to pass me just to ride the hind end of the next car (I find myself shaking my head and thinking, now how much time do they think they are going to save--one minute? two minutes? back off and enjoy the scenery...) some are so desperate they pass illegally and dangerously when there are double lines rather than a broken line indicating it's ok to pass if nothing is coming. Some would argue that this means that Maine should add more lanes. I'm sure you can tell that I disagree. Some visit Maine, some love Maine, some try to change Maine....you don't like Maine? don't like the roads? don't like the summer traffic? don't let the "door" hit you in the gluteus maximus. I-95 will take you all the way to FL.

There is always some kind of road work in the summer--just expect it. Plan on a drive in the summer or in a snow storm taking longer.

Here's one in Franklin, but I question the statement 9 miles to Ellsworth....better check it for yourself. http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/3148416283.html I would choose Hancock over Franklin because of the wider road lanes (US Rt. 1)

btw, it may be more difficult to find year round housing in Bar Harbor, but it's not impossible. If you find something, don't dilly dally. http://maine.craigslist.org/search/a...Ask=&bedrooms= Also, there are off seasonal rentals from Sept.-May--some with great ocean views. Of course the downside is having to move out for June, July, and August....possibly an inconvenience, but eventually you'll find a year round place.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-24-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Your post has inspired me to make a few comments starting with....ahhh Maine--the way life should be. It's amazing how Maine has managed quite nicely with one road from Trenton to Thompson's Island to MDI for the lifetimes of many people. People need to learn how to be patient--could add years to their lives. You're right about Rt. 3 being mostly a two lane road but there are a few spots where there is a third lane with a sign "Slower traffic keep right." The tourists keep coming--can't seem to get them to stay out of state. Maine roads don't need to have four or six lanes; people need to chill out, relax, slow down and smell the roses, the pine trees, the ocean, and the wood smoke at Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. Why be in such a big RUSH all the time....hurry hurry hurry. That is for city folks and outah staters.

It cracks me up to watch cars with out of state plates ride the hind end of my car chomping at the bit to pass me just to ride the hind end of the next car (I find myself shaking my head and thinking, now how much time do they think they are going to save--one minute? two minutes? back off and enjoy the scenery...) some are so desperate they pass illegally and dangerously when there are double lines rather than a broken line indicating it's ok to pass if nothing is coming. Some would argue that this means that Maine should add more lanes. I'm sure you can tell that I disagree. Some visit Maine, some love Maine, some try to change Maine....you don't like Maine? don't like the roads? don't like the summer traffic? don't let the "door" hit you in the gluteus maximus. I-95 will take you all the way to FL.

There is always some kind of road work in the summer--just expect it. Plan on a drive in the summer or in a snow storm taking longer.

Here's one in Franklin, but I question the statement 9 miles to Ellsworth....better check it for yourself. Franklin, Maine I would choose Hancock over Franklin because of the wider road lanes (US Rt. 1)

btw, it may be more difficult to find year round housing in Bar Harbor, but it's not impossible. If you find something, don't dilly dally. maine apts/housing for rent classifieds "bar harbor" - craigslist Also, there are off seasonal rentals from Sept.-May--some with great ocean views. Of course the downside is having to move out for June, July, and August....possibly an inconvenience, but eventually you'll find a year round place.
I have to ask. If the traffic levels warrant a 4-lane road, why would you be against it? Congested roadways lead to wasted time, wasted gas, unnecessary accidents, and angry motorists. Why would that be a desirable situation for anyone? I'm not talking an Interstate style highway up there, btw. Just an additional lane going in both directions. Is it really that bad for people to be able to drive side-by-side or *gasp* pass someone? I'm not really a speed demon myself, but what's it to me if someone wants to go faster than I am going?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I have to ask. If the traffic levels warrant a 4-lane road, why would you be against it? Congested roadways lead to wasted time, wasted gas, unnecessary accidents, and angry motorists. Why would that be a desirable situation for anyone? I'm not talking an Interstate style highway up there, btw. Just an additional lane going in both directions. Call it what you will...Most of I-95 in Maine is the equivalent to an additional lane going in both directions aka a four-lane highway. Is it really that bad for people to be able to drive side-by-side or *gasp* pass someone? I'm not really a speed demon myself, but what's it to me if someone wants to go faster than I am going?
I don't believe the traffic levels during the summer warrant a 4 lane or a 6 lane road/highway. The rest of the year it's a non issue. I also believe the beauty of MDI would be adversely affected by a four or a six-lane highway. People get angry (angry motorists) because they are in a big rush and lack patience; you hear talk of a slower pace of life in Maine....a pace where you chill, learn patience, take time to appreciate the scenery, smell the pine trees, smell the ocean, the wood fires at seafood places, the roses that grow along the ocean side, etc. I do not view this as "wasted time." Accidents are a result of people's attitudes and bad driving--don't blame it on the roads. In Maine you can be ticketed for "too fast for conditions." The additional traffic is only a problem during the summer months because of visitors who want to visit Maine so now you are suggesting that Maine make major changes in their roads. I don't agree with that. Mainers are happy to have their roads to themselves again at the end of summer. During July and August everyone with an out of state plate could be required to park in Ellsworth and be transported by The Island Explorer buses; that would keep the traffic down on Rt. 3.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-25-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I don't believe the traffic levels during the summer warrant a 4 lane or a 6 lane road/highway. The rest of the year it's a non issue. I also believe the beauty of MDI would be adversely affected by a four or a six-lane highway. People get angry (angry motorists) because they are in a big rush and lack patience; you hear talk of a slower pace of life in Maine....a pace where you chill, learn patience, take time to appreciate the scenery, smell the pine trees, smell the ocean, the wood fires at seafood places, the roses that grow along the ocean side, etc. I do not view this as "wasted time." Accidents are a result of people's attitudes and bad driving--don't blame it on the roads. In Maine you can be ticketed for "too fast for conditions." The additional traffic is only a problem during the summer months because of visitors who want to visit Maine so now you are suggesting that Maine make major changes in their roads. I don't agree with that. Mainers are happy to have their roads to themselves again at the end of summer. During July and August everyone with an out of state plate could be required to park in Ellsworth and be transported by The Island Explorer buses; that would keep the traffic down on Rt. 3.
Well, I'm no out-of-stater. Lived in the Midcoast my whole life, but never bought into that slow-paced stuff. That may change as I get older (I'm 25 now), but right now, I have too many things I want to do, too many places I want to see, and probably less than 55 years left to do and see them all, if I'm lucky to live to 80. Yes, sometimes I do take time to stop and smell the roses; I try to make sure I'm out of the way of others when I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area