Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,035,734 times

Advertisements

Bangor officials seek public comment on I-95 Stillwater ramp — Bangor — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

It never made any sense to me as to why they wouldn't allow people to turn left from I-95 to Stillwater. I mean, the traffic coming out of Kohl's doesn't get to go at the same time, so it's not as though there's any legitimate safety concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM

37,437 posts, read 61,329,236 times
I enjoy the way that so many people use the center-lane [which is labeled right-turn-only and whose light is a right-turn-only light] but they want to go straight. They sit through the green light, blocking everyone behind them wanting to turn. When the left lane gets it's green light to go straight, these guys in the turn-lane often try to jump ahead to cut them off, to go into the kohls/big lots complex.

Once I was behind a lady who was straddling the right-lane and the center-lane [both labeled right-turn only], blocking both lanes. When the right-turn lights went green she rolled out into the intersection and stopped, I assumed she wanted to go straight. I passed her on the left and I made the right turn.

If any intersection needs a video camera for issuing traffic citations that is it.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I enjoy the way that so many people use the center-lane [which is labeled right-turn-only and whose light is a right-turn-only light] but they want to go straight. They sit through the green light, blocking everyone behind them wanting to turn. When the left lane gets it's green light to go straight, these guys in the turn-lane often try to jump ahead to cut them off, to go into the kohls/big lots complex.

Once I was behind a lady who was straddling the right-lane and the center-lane [both labeled right-turn only], blocking both lanes. When the right-turn lights went green she rolled out into the intersection and stopped, I assumed she wanted to go straight. I passed her on the left and I made the right turn.

If any intersection needs a video camera for issuing traffic citations that is it.
Ah yes, using the middle lane to go straight. One of the most common mistakes.

The other one that I don't understand is why so many won't form two lines to go from Stillwater Avenue to the Interstate. Is it really so horrible to have to merge together afterward that some people would rather sit through more than one cycle at the light? I guess expecting people to cooperate with and be courteous to each other while driving is too much, eh?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,542,708 times
That is one of the most confusing intersections in the area, especially for those from outside the area that are using it for the first time. You need to know exactly what lane to get in "before" you are able to read the signs. One problem IMO with making it a left turn on Stillwater, is making the cycle of the lights longer for everyone and causing some to become "impatient" leading to road rage. I have been the victim of that experience once at that intersection when I didn't accelerate quickly enough for the person behind me. By having a bit of patience would mean many fewer crashes. In the tourist season I drive with way more caution. It is incredible what I have seen some out of staters do - like taking a U turn in the middle of Stillwater during a "slight" lul in the traffic. This is not wise as there are so many businesses along there.

Also as an afterthought -- I can't imagine what the person or persons who designed the Kohls parking are was thinking.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
That is one of the most confusing intersections in the area, especially for those from outside the area that are using it for the first time. You need to know exactly what lane to get in "before" you are able to read the signs. One problem IMO with making it a left turn on Stillwater, is making the cycle of the lights longer for everyone and causing some to become "impatient" leading to road rage. I have been the victim of that experience once at that intersection when I didn't accelerate quickly enough for the person behind me. By having a bit of patience would mean many fewer crashes. In the tourist season I drive with way more caution. It is incredible what I have seen some out of staters do - like taking a U turn in the middle of Stillwater during a "slight" lul in the traffic. This is not wise as there are so many businesses along there.

Also as an afterthought -- I can't imagine what the person or persons who designed the Kohls parking are was thinking.
It wouldn't lead to a longer cycle, however. That light is already set up so only one corner goes at a time, if I remember correctly. Allowing the left would be a matter of taking down a sign and putting in a left turn arrow, there wouldn't really be any more modification necessary.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,198,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
This is so true! I don't go near that place anytime even close to Christmas! I got trapped in there for 45 minutes once, and that taught me. Although, they did add another exit to the parking lot, so maybe that will help.

Although I feel sorry for the people that would like to make a left at this light, your wishes are overwhelmingly overcome by the thousands of people that live in that area, and the huge number of idiots that go 45 miles an hour through these neighborhoods to cut across to Brewer and that side of Bangor. I wonder how many kids' lives have been saved by the left turn restriction????

Old 09-01-2012, 02:20 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,542,708 times
I agree with keeping the no left restriction. If you want that end of Stillwater avenue and you are headed north - just get off the highway at Broadway.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I wonder how many kids' lives have been saved by the left turn restriction????
Likely not a single one. The drivers are going where they want now, whether they illegally turn left, or turn around in the parking lot. People who don't have a reason to head southbound on Stillwater aren't about to make one up just because they take that "no left turn" sign down. People that do have a reason to go that way, go that way in one way or another.

My own thought, however, is if they keep the left turn prohibition in place, they need to allow traffic coming out of Kohl's to go straight at the same time, like it would be at any other light. There is absolutely no reason to keep the 95-bound Kohl's traffic waiting if nobody is going to be turning in front of them. I think that might even benefit more people than a left turn from the Interstate.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,198,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Likely not a single one. The drivers are going where they want now, whether they illegally turn left, or turn around in the parking lot. People who don't have a reason to head southbound on Stillwater aren't about to make one up just because they take that "no left turn" sign down. People that do have a reason to go that way, go that way in one way or another.
Not to say it doesn't ever happen, but hardly ever. If it did, just station a Bangor PD unit there and collect some taxes!!!!!!!!! Maybe a camera would be more cost effective.

Although I appreciate people's self-interest in cutting a few minutes off their trip, I raised a family on Fern Street and know what I'm talking about. Many different methods have been used to try to slow down people that cut through these streets, and none have really worked. Maybe we could use speed bumps like they use down south!!!! Those will really mess up a car going too fast! Maybe a set of speed bumps every 100 yards. Might be hard to plow around though.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Not to say it doesn't ever happen, but hardly ever. If it did, just station a Bangor PD unit there and collect some taxes!!!!!!!!! Maybe a camera would be more cost effective.

Although I appreciate people's self-interest in cutting a few minutes off their trip, I raised a family on Fern Street and know what I'm talking about. Many different methods have been used to try to slow down people that cut through these streets, and none have really worked. Maybe we could use speed bumps like they use down south!!!! Those will really mess up a car going too fast! Maybe a set of speed bumps every 100 yards. Might be hard to plow around though.
The more I think about it, the more I think the greater efficiency overall would be in allowing traffic exiting from Kohl's to go straight at the same time as traffic coming off of I95. At least that would alleviate some of the problems at that parking lot, and I think there are likely more people heading southbound on 95 than there are southbound on Stillwater.

Of course, I'd like to see a good rotary there, myself. The two in Augusta have me about convinced that we shouldn't need a traffic light anywhere north of Portland. The new (well, several years old now) modifications they did to the east-side rotary seemed to make it more tame and more efficient at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area