Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,392 times

Advertisements

Got home today from a surgery and overnight stay at EMMC. I was very surprised and pleased with the staff there. They got the IV's in with one stick, got me all hooked up, then stayed and chatted while waiting to go in for surgery. It was nice not too lay there by myself waiting. After the surgery, the floor staff was just as wonderful, and helpful. I was offered toast, and when I turned it down, I was asked if there was anything I'd like to eat, when I said soup, a few minutes later there was a nice hot bowl of veggie soup being brought to me. When I had a question they would answer it (not wait for the doc) I was very impressed, and thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
We are glad that everything went well with your surgery.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
I like EMMC where strictly medical apects are concerned, especially competency of those who do the needle-sticking- I have a great dislike of needles and have had some very bad experiences at other places but all of the ones at EMMC have been very quick one-shot in and done affairs.

I am, however, concerned about certain socio-political tendencies such as an editorial published in the BDN last year. It was written by a highly placed EMMC official and was highly negative about guns, promoting very strict gun control policies.

More recently, I was at the walk-in clinic to get an x-ray because several weeks after a pallet of freight was accidently dropped on my hand it was still extremely painful and I wanted to know if there were any fractures. From the outset it was made clear that this was a workplace injury and that it was going to go against worker's comp insurance...but out of the blue the PA asked me if "...anyone was hurting" me "at home". WTF?

My first reaction was to be insulted at being asked such a question, I mean...what? Do I *look* like some kind of pansy? When I expressed my incredulity at being asked such a thing (like I'd be stupid enough to make up a workplace injury that would be reported and investigated to cover up abuse at home? That's *two* insults!) the PA said "We have to ask everybody that question."

Really? I mean, REALLY?

And at every visit I'm asked about my smoking and drinking. I can kind of see where my personal primary care physician might want to have some kind of general idea in order to watch out for my concerns as to my overall health picture, but the clinic PA has no need to ask this, especially as I turned down a script for painkillers. Sheesh, nevermind my smoking, do what I came here for and look at my [expletive] x-rays and tell me if any bones are broken! What bugs me about the smoking question, is that I'm asked how many cigarettes, or packs of cigarettes I smoke per day...but I roll my own and I typically roll them thinner than commercial cigarettes. Now, if they were truly concerned about medical/scientific aspects then they should be looking for some kind of quantifiable amount, right? But when I try to explain, and offer them a reasonably accurate weight of the actual amount of tobacco consumed, they aren't interested. This tells me that they are more interested in the socio-political aspects than the medical aspects. This disturbs me. The 'nanny state' at work again.

If there were just one thing I might be able to overlook it, but the totality of the nanny state BS is really getting me ticked off lately- smoking, drinking, seat belts, gun control, 'abuse' etc. etc. It's becoming overwhelming, somebody else sticking their nose into my business where it doesn't belong and trying to make my decisions *for* me.

"Oh, but it's for your own good."

Yeah, I got two words to respond to that, and it ain't "Merry Christmas."

As much as I have liked the medical treatment at EMMC, I'm still thinking of changing providers because their political leanings are very disturbing. I don't need *them* minding *my* business.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,392 times
I've been in EMMC a couple of times, and although nothing was ever wrong with care I received, this was the first time that everyone who stuck me with a needle got it the first time, that they sat with me rather than leaving me, or offered to get me what I would like. Guess that's why it stood out, I was hoping it would be the new standard of care, sure made me feel better. I'd like to believe that the personal care that I didn't receive before was due to case load.

Yeah, they ask the questions, but I'm pretty sure someone sued them (or another hosp) because someone was getting abused and no medical person asked while they were there. I've always been tempted, but never did, to answer I smoke a carton and a half a day - just to see what they would do.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Well, glad to hear that you were pleased, and hopefully feeling better. I've had some lousy hospital experiences, and the Mrs. as well. The staff at EMMC does seem to be very attentive and considerate.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
I'm glad you're doing well, RHB. Keep resting. You're a busy woman; I can imagine you up and running as soon as possible.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,931 times
Glad it went so well. I haven't had to be there in years but it's good to hear of pleasant hospital "visits".

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,736 times
I have to say that I did hear one horror story. A friend of mine who came in with a left brain stroke issue. She was effectively unconscious for awhile, and lost the ability to swallow. Somehow the hospital failed to realize that if she didn't somehow cr@p all the "stuff" in her intestines, they would eventually go septic. After about 9 days it did, and they had to remove 70% of her intestines to save her life. But the fact that she could not swallow and the fact that getting nutrients into her at the level needed without much of her small intestine eventually killed her three months later.

Those of you who live in Bangor would have seen her obit since she was a state representative from Bangor in the 1990's among many other things she did.

I will remember this and anyone who I know who is bedridden after something like a stroke, I will ask about getting rid of the food in their intestines. The sad thing was that she was learning how to speak again and improving so many ways, but without nutrients eventually her organs just shut down.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I have to say that I did hear one horror story. A friend of mine who came in with a left brain stroke issue. She was effectively unconscious for awhile, and lost the ability to swallow. Somehow the hospital failed to realize that if she didn't somehow cr@p all the "stuff" in her intestines, they would eventually go septic. After about 9 days it did, and they had to remove 70% of her intestines to save her life. But the fact that she could not swallow and the fact that getting nutrients into her at the level needed without much of her small intestine eventually killed her three months later.

Those of you who live in Bangor would have seen her obit since she was a state representative from Bangor in the 1990's among many other things she did.

I will remember this and anyone who I know who is bedridden after something like a stroke, I will ask about getting rid of the food in their intestines. The sad thing was that she was learning how to speak again and improving so many ways, but without nutrients eventually her organs just shut down.
I'm sorry she had this happen to her. I would think a hospital would know to get the "stuff" out of her intestines without having to be told. Sounds like a tough situation to be in--not being able to swallow and having to rely on intravenous feeding(?) or a feeding tube(?) Did they give her the shot that is supposed to be administered to stroke victims within a few hours of the stroke?

You wouldn't have to live in Bangor to see her obit. Maine news, sports, politics and obituaries — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine Legislative people at the state and national levels don't seem to be all that popular with normal folks--the ones they are supposed to represent. Maybe it was a badge of honor at some point in history.....The last person I remember hearing rave reviews about was Margaret Chase Smith. I'll give it some thought and see if I can think of anyone else.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I like EMMC where strictly medical apects are concerned, especially competency of those who do the needle-sticking- I have a great dislike of needles and have had some very bad experiences at other places but all of the ones at EMMC have been very quick one-shot in and done affairs.

I am, however, concerned about certain socio-political tendencies such as an editorial published in the BDN last year. It was written by a highly placed EMMC official and was highly negative about guns, promoting very strict gun control policies.

More recently, I was at the walk-in clinic to get an x-ray because several weeks after a pallet of freight was accidently dropped on my hand it was still extremely painful and I wanted to know if there were any fractures. From the outset it was made clear that this was a workplace injury and that it was going to go against worker's comp insurance...but out of the blue the PA asked me if "...anyone was hurting" me "at home". WTF?

My first reaction was to be insulted at being asked such a question, I mean...what? Do I *look* like some kind of pansy? When I expressed my incredulity at being asked such a thing (like I'd be stupid enough to make up a workplace injury that would be reported and investigated to cover up abuse at home? That's *two* insults!) the PA said "We have to ask everybody that question."

Really? I mean, REALLY?

And at every visit I'm asked about my smoking and drinking. I can kind of see where my personal primary care physician might want to have some kind of general idea in order to watch out for my concerns as to my overall health picture, but the clinic PA has no need to ask this, especially as I turned down a script for painkillers. Sheesh, nevermind my smoking, do what I came here for and look at my [expletive] x-rays and tell me if any bones are broken! What bugs me about the smoking question, is that I'm asked how many cigarettes, or packs of cigarettes I smoke per day...but I roll my own and I typically roll them thinner than commercial cigarettes. Now, if they were truly concerned about medical/scientific aspects then they should be looking for some kind of quantifiable amount, right? But when I try to explain, and offer them a reasonably accurate weight of the actual amount of tobacco consumed, they aren't interested. This tells me that they are more interested in the socio-political aspects than the medical aspects. This disturbs me. The 'nanny state' at work again.

If there were just one thing I might be able to overlook it, but the totality of the nanny state BS is really getting me ticked off lately- smoking, drinking, seat belts, gun control, 'abuse' etc. etc. It's becoming overwhelming, somebody else sticking their nose into my business where it doesn't belong and trying to make my decisions *for* me.

"Oh, but it's for your own good."

Yeah, I got two words to respond to that, and it ain't "Merry Christmas."

As much as I have liked the medical treatment at EMMC, I'm still thinking of changing providers because their political leanings are very disturbing. I don't need *them* minding *my* business.
Those are universal triage questions. You'll be asked them wherever you go.

Welcome to the Wal-martization/factory aspect of health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area