Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,532 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering applying for a position in Bangor.

I've never been to Maine, but I lived in Burlington VT for a couple of years. I've been switching back and forth between the City-Data pages on the two cities and have been able to gather some useful information, but I would be interested to hear from those of you who could help me get behind the figures and give me a sense of what Bangor is like as a city. It would be helpful if you are able to compare Burlington with Bangor. We live in Texas at the moment.

My wife and I have a four year old and a two year old, and I get the impression that Bangor is a good place to bring up children. The position I'm thinking about probably pays between 40 and 50k; my wife would be looking for part time and/or freelance work. One obvious advantage of Bangor compared to Burlington is in the area of rental and property prices seem a good deal less expensive. On the other hand, my wife might find it even more difficult to find work in Maine than she did in Vermont. I like to live within walking distance of stores and amenities.

Some specific questions for which I would be grateful for answers:

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the school system in Bangor?

How walkable is Bangor?

What is the downtown like compared with that of Burlington?

How good is the bus service in Bangor?

How easy is it to find apartments and houses to rent in Bangor? Burlington's large student population is a big factor in the rental market there, I think.

Coming from the South, I was taken aback by the high price of groceries in Burlington. Are prices similar in Bangor?

How easy is it to find family friendly restaurants, diners, and coffee shops in Bangor?

Crime figures are difficult to interpret. Burlington looks, if anything, a little less hit by crime than Bangor. Nevertheless, when we lived in Burlington not far from the University and the Old North End, we were worried by the continual burglaries and vandalism in our neighborhood. Are there any areas in Bangor that one should avoid?

I like poking around in bookstores and thrift stores. How will I do in Bangor?

How big is the summer tourist influx to Bangor?

Is there anything of a French speaking community in Bangor?

How would you compare Bangor to Burlington in terms of friendliness and vitality?

I know that opinions will differ on many of these questions and that the answers to many will necessarily be impressionistic and subjective, but I would be grateful for any answers or more general thoughts that you have.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:34 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
I went to graduate school in Burlington many moons ago and have many friends in the area whom I visit often. Church Street is/was like a carnival act filled with Trustifarians. I am not sure how anyone survives there with the housing, food and other expenses versus what the salaries are. If you were making what you stated you'll be paid in Maine (and I mean no insult whatsoever), you must've just scraped by! In my completely unscientific research at least from an economic standpoint, your family would do much better in Bangor. I read the Bangor Daily News frequently, and it appears the crime rate is high, although not living there I could not attest to that from a personal standpoint. Most of the crimes are petty in nature, and seem as if the miscreants perpetrate the crime on each other. I would expect much like Burlington once you get out in the hinterlands away from the welfare office and urban sprawl things calm down somewhat. I often fly in there and stay at a hotel on or around Odlin Road, go out and eat and head up into the boonies and I have never had any issues. Good luck on whichever you choose.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 AM

118 posts, read 283,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
Hello,

I'm considering applying for a position in Bangor.

Thanks for your help!

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the school system in Bangor?
It's smaller, I didn't have a problem in High School. MY sister went to middle and high school there.. It's safe.

How walkable is Bangor?
Not very.. Things are pretty spread out. Dead of winter you don't want to be walking anywhere.

How good is the bus service in Bangor?
Pretty good depending on where you live. I lived a bit further out and the closest route was about a mile away.

How easy is it to find apartments and houses to rent in Bangor?
Not too difficult... but expect to pay over $700 for any 2bdrm of any quality. Heat is usually included in Apartments, heat is rarely included in houses.

Coming from the South, I was taken aback by the high price of groceries in Burlington. Are prices similar in Bangor?
Yes

How easy is it to find family friendly restaurants, diners, and coffee shops in Bangor?
Very easy

Are there any areas in Bangor that one should avoid?

see the post titled "going in blind" I highlighted areas on a map for the guy.

Borders, a few small bookstores... A few thriftstores... nothing major but it'll do.

How big is the summer tourist influx to Bangor?

Very minimal... We built a highway to divert tourists away from bangor right to bar harbor... very few tourists..

Is there anything of a French speaking community in Bangor?
Probably a small one, but none I ever experienced/observed personally.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM

10 posts, read 19,375 times
Default Bangor

Hey there - I grew up in the Bangor area and hopefully can give a little insight into it.

I didn't attend Bangor schools (went to Hermon) but I haven't heard anything bad about them - I think they compare pretty well to neighboring schools. There's a private high school - John Bapst - the name carries some weight but I know several people who graduated from there and they were rather underwhelmed, seems to be pretty much in line with the public system.

The bus system is pretty good, and affordable, and there are quite a few kid/family friendly places around. I liked walking around Bangor for exercise but the layout isn't good if you want to walk to the grocery store. The businesses seem to congregate in certain areas that are not walker friendly, with the exception of the downtown area, which encourages walking around. Lovely area too; it just seemed to roll the carpet up when the sun disappears but it's been a few years since I was there, so it could have changed.

Crime does happen but a little common sense goes a long way. I used to walk a circuit every day during my lunch hour at work and never had any concern. But I also locked my car doors. Most of the crime seems to be property related, whatever can be easily stolen to sell for drugs - pill popping is a big issue for area. The more violent stuff is almost always either domestic violence related or drug related, where they tend to prey on each other. I remember a fairly recent posting about a home-invader who was killed (?); the rumors I heard from friends/family in the area is that the home invader was a drug-dealer himself and thought he'd picked an easy target, but that's just rumor . . . The area that I personally didn't like was in the streets with the lower numbers (First, Second, etc.) - that was really active when I lived down there but the PD recently relocated to that very same area, so I suspect that it's shifted elsewhere, just not sure where. Another area that has a bad rep is known as Capehart, because it used to have a lot of low-income housing (and still does) but it's been going private over the past decade so again, it could have shifted.

I'm not too sure how the cost of living compares to Burlington, though a close family friend, who's child attended John Bapst - that same child went to undergraduate school in VT and I do remember her saying that she was surprised at how expensive it was to live there and that her kid couldn't wait to move to NYC for grad school. Go figure.

I didn't encounter too many predominantly French speaking people in the area but they're probably there. The University is pretty close by and I would think that they'd have some sort of club or social that meets - I've never investigated it. You can usually find a number of activities up there that are open to the public. Personally, I'd recommend hockey. Loads of fun.

You're biggest test will most likely be winter. If you can handle a January afternoon that gets dark enough for headlights at 4:00 pm and a wind chill that will literally suck the breath from your chest, you can probably handle anything the state could toss at you.

I guess my best advice is that if you do relocate is to get out and socialize - gatherings, clubs, church, street bar-b-q's, whatever you can. Jobs tend to be pretty scarce on the ground but they are out there. If you aren't lucky enough to have one arranged already, networking is your next best chance of success. All the people I know who have changed jobs recently ended up getting moved to the top of the resume pile because they ran into so-and-so at the fair, etc. It's also a great way to get to know your neighbors, which are great sources of kid friendly things to do and watchful eyes if somebody's going down the street testing car doors.

Sincerely, the mimseygirl

Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM

325 posts, read 706,081 times
I would choose Burlington over Bangor in a heartbeat. And I am currently in Bangor.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
I would choose Burlington over Bangor in a heartbeat. And I am currently in Bangor.
So why don't you move?

Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
I don't know that much about Burlington as I have only visited it a couple times over the years. It just seemed to be kind of remote where as Bangor is fairly close to the ocean if that is something you enjoy. Also is only a 2 hour drive from Portland our largest city. I disagree with the OP that said Bangor is not walkable. Most every thing downtown is a very easy walk from anywhere else. ie the library, most downtown restaurants, the Childrens Discovery Museum, University of Maine Museum, and lots of great shops and restaurants. The bus system (The BAT) is in operation 6 days a week and most runs are every half hour with a few routes every hour. It also goes from Bangor to Hampden and Orono. We have lots of activities on the newly refurbished waterfront area on the Penobscot River. Name groups have been performing throughout the months of May - Oct. We also have a 3 day American Folk Festival - music, food and crafts. which draws thousands at the end of August. This has been going on for about 8 years now and admission is "free". This winter was very mild and the past few days here it hit 80. This is not the norm but it has been very nice. Today will likely hit 65. If you came for a visit it would give you a much better idea if this is an area you would like.
Oh yes we have 2 hospitals, Eastern Maine Medical Center, and St. Joseph's and several High Schools, Bangor High School, John Bapsts (college prep) and Bangor Christian School. Population here is about 32,000 so you can see we are a smallish city but serve many surrounding towns.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post

Borders, a few small bookstores... A few thriftstores... nothing major but it'll do.
Not anymore!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM

325 posts, read 706,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
So why don't you move?
I have.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:29 PM

546 posts, read 1,377,285 times
My vote is Burlington as well. Way more friendlier, and fits your needs. It is a more vibrant and growing city as well as the area around it. More upbeat. Nothing against Bangor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area