Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:53 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times

Advertisements

We all know how to use an Interstate on-ramp from driver's ed, I'm sure; even though for some of us it might have been a while ago.

We were taught:
1. To use the ramp for building up speed to match the speed of the traffic already on the Interstate
2. To pick out a safe gap (big enough so that we won't be tailgating anyone in front, and people in back won't be tailgating us)
3. To adjust our speed as necessary to yield to anyone on the interstate who might otherwise end up too close to us at the merge point, and
4. To merge in such a way that we don't disrupt the flow of cars already on the Interstate, which have the right of way.

Those are the basic principals for safely entering a highway from an on-ramp. I might add that I was taught that one should not stop unless absolutely necessary, because other drivers from behind might not expect it, and it could lead to an accident.

Along comes Bangor, the major caveat to the rules above. Why? Because Bangor's ramps are short, often-times enter the highway blindly, and oftentimes with curvature so sharp that acceleration is near impossible.

The two that seem the worst to me are the ramp from Broadway to I-95 south and that I-395 cloverleaf.

You can follow step one, and gun it to make 55 by the end, but by the time you can actually see traffic on the interstate, you aren't given much space to make a judgement. Traffic often will help out by moving over (I try to if I'm on the Interstate), but it's not always possible. So what is the option for the merging driver? Well, if you are lucky... there might just happen to be a gap right there when you get there. If not, you have to wait, according to the yield sign in front of you. Some people will just cut right out and ignore the yield sign altogether. It's not a good design. Cutting people off is very unsafe, but stopping on a ramp isn't exactly that safe either.

The state could make that interchange much more safe and civil by having that ramp come out into its own lane, and having that lane go on for another 100 yards or so. This way drivers would have enough space to judge gaps, and enter safely at speed without cutting people off. It wouldn't require much more than paint to do it.

As to the 395 cloverleaf. I'm left scratching my head at that one. They gave merging traffic an acceleration lane, but decided to have it also be a deceleration lane for exiting traffic. People slowing down in front of drivers who are speeding up. It just seems dumb to me.

Alright, I've got my complaint out about those two interchanges. I will give credit where credit is due. The ramps on either side of Hogan Road are downright pleasant to use. You have plenty of space to accelerate without killing your engine in the process, and can see well enough to pick your gap out in plenty of time. That one contributes to nice smooth traffic flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 PM

276 posts, read 848,712 times
Traffic rarely moves over anymore to let anyone on from a ramp. No one else will let them back into the driving lane once they leave either. A little OT on this here but driving related, I don't think that anyone knows about flashing your lights to alert other drivers there us a cop waiting ahead. I get some strange looks sometimes.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEr View Post
Traffic rarely moves over anymore to let anyone on from a ramp. No one else will let them back into the driving lane once they leave either. A little OT on this here but driving related, I don't think that anyone knows about flashing your lights to alert other drivers there us a cop waiting ahead. I get some strange looks sometimes.
Depending on the situation, flashing lights can mean one of three things.

On the interstate, it can mean either "clear to come back over" or "move over out of my way" depending on who you're flashing at. When a trucker passes me on any road, I always flash my headlights once or twice to let him know he's clear to get back over. I never flash someone to "get out of my way." That's a Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey "I'm more important than everyone else" thing.

Flashing to oncoming traffic is an indication of any type of hazard... it could mean a cop, but it could also mean a deer, moose, or an accident. Something that requires you to slow down and pay extra attention.

As for moving over; I do when I can to make it easier on them. But sometimes, you just can't. Happened to me today, in fact. There must have been a good 10 to 15 car lengths of space behind me, and the person had her own lane at the end of the ramp. Rather than yield and get in behind me, she decides to match my speed and drive beside me until the end; and then she drove down the break down lane for a bit before finally figuring it out. Made me chuckle a bit. She didn't want anything to do with all that empty space around me, she wanted the space my car was occupying for some reason unbeknownst to me. And by goodness, I guess I was supposed to move out of it to make way for her highness.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:37 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
I agree

the worst ramp ive been on in bangor is the newport 95(sign in bangor) exit after the ORONO exit
not sure of the road,,,name, but if you are coming from ellsworth then take a right after an overpass,close to bangor) this loops around to a two lane highway- then you see the signs I mentioned above

this ramp comes right up to 95,,,,but immediately in front of you is an off ramp....so youve gotta be very very carefull,,,many factors at once

you can have a snail in front of you, that uses this ramp for a yield/stop sign,,entering 95

now the problem in the last 5 yrs is this,,,,,the oncoming 95 traffic slowing down to the off-ramp in front of you,,,use to always use the directional signal,,,,now, it seems you are lucky is 50% of the cars do,,,,they will swerve right in front of you,,at the last minute with no blinker

if coming off the ramp you are going at a pretty good clip, only 50% of the cars will pull to the left lane if they can

im seeing more INCONSIDERATION by the oncoming existing traffic ...than the off-rampers squirreling-not sure what to do

because of this inconsideration, of existing 95'ers - this makes more onrampers cautious to a fault..

Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
It isn't Bangor's responsibility to fund any changes to interstate ramps. That is entirely up to the State Dept. of Transportation and we all know how LePage feels about spending money on those kinds of things. It will do little good to pass the bond issues as he refuses to release the money until "all the bills are paid".

Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM

157 posts, read 347,505 times
I have never in my life seen anyone foolish enough to stop on an on-ramp.... until I moved to Bangor, Maine! I don't quite understand the whole stopping on the on-ramp thing, especially with how long Maine's ramps are, but I'm from New York so maybe I'm just too aggressive of a driver . Maine's on-ramps are extremely long compared to what I'm used to back here in New York (I left Maine upon graduating college). There's plenty of room to get up to highway speed and safely put your car onto the highway drama free.

My morning commute in NY involves a blind curve, followed by a stop sign, followed by no merge lane at all. It's a come around the curve, stop, look and floor it type of merge every morning. In the words of my driver's ed instructor from back in the day, "you need to step on it and go".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
...I never flash someone to "get out of my way." That's a Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey "I'm more important than everyone else" thing.
It's more of a "you're going to slowly in the PASSING LANE, please move back into the right land and continue to drive right so people can pass left" thing. I assume you've also never driven on the autobahn? On the autobahn the polite way of saying 'please move over I'd like to go past you doing 100+mph' is flashing your brights. I know, unfortunately this isn't the autobahn, but I sure miss that driving experience. For some reason Americans find flashing the brights to be rude gesture. Actually, I must say Mainers are quite good at keeping right and only moving left to pass. New York drivers will sit in the middle lane, left lane, wherever the heck they want, blocking traffic from safely passing left and forcing you to overtake on the right and cut back over.

Last edited by RJS5689; 01-23-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times
I've driven through New York City...I was in the right lane, and ended up getting off the freeway, somewhere where I didn't want to be. When I got back on, I got in the center lane and stayed there, figured all those crazy people could just work around me (which they did, and it didn't seem to bother them a bit)

Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM

157 posts, read 347,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
I've driven through New York City...I was in the right lane, and ended up getting off the freeway, somewhere where I didn't want to be. When I got back on, I got in the center lane and stayed there, figured all those crazy people could just work around me (which they did, and it didn't seem to bother them a bit)
Yes, some people around here are fine with it, others get a little crazy. I actually preferred driving in Maine. You guys keep right, you're polite, usually not aggressive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
I haven't paid attention to the signage lately, but if I'm not mistaken, thru traffic on 95 within the Bangor city limits is supposed to remain in the left lane at a 55mph limit to leave the right lane with less interference for those who are entering/exiting.

Unfortunately, there are a certain number of imbeciles that want to continue at 65-85mph in the left lane within the city limits and who will tailgate until they [think they] have enough room to zoom by on the right, which causes an even bigger problem with traffic trying to enter/exit.

---------------------------------------------

RE: Flashing lights to warn of the presence of police-

Some police agencies have attempted to prosecute drivers who try to warn other drivers of police presence (radar traps or other enforcement activities), under "obstruction of justice" statutes. Although I believe that this is an unconstitutional restriction of communication, the effort has led to reduced incidence of it.

I have noticed that up in The County, drivers will often flash to alert others of moose in or near the roadway.

------------------------------------------

RE: 'Flash to pass'

Since the high/low dimmer switch was moved from its traditional place on the left floorboard, column mounted multi-function switches have usually incorporated a 'flash to pass' feature that allows the driver to briefly change high/low without actually changing the switch setting. Many people seem to be unaware of it.

Truck drivers generally use a full on-off-on-off-on sequence (instead of high/low) to alert passing trucks that there is enough clearance to return to the right lane.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 PM

20 posts, read 86,208 times
I'm hardly a speed demon, but 55mph is dreadfully slow. I regularly go 60-65 on 95 in Bangor and I'm always going with the flow of traffic. Those who actually obey the 55 limit seem to be in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area