U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 16,019 times

Advertisements

If I was flying into Bangor, ME and driving to Bar Harbor in January, what kind of car should I rent? I'm from Illinois and have driven in some bad winter weather (with a Toyota Matrix) but probably not as bad as Maine.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 AM

793 posts, read 1,220,662 times
I'm guessing the weather in Illinois is often worse than the weather here!

It's so hard to know what you'll be facing in January at this point. The roads could be spotless or a slushy mess, or even worse, coated in ice. The good thing is that it's pretty much a straight shot from Bangor to Bar Harbor.

Check the weather a week out. I think you'll be fine.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM

33,768 posts, read 55,375,079 times
The Bangor Airport has an Avis rental.

They stock: Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Fusion, Chevrolet Impala, BMW 528, And a long list of other vehicles including convertibles, pickups, and jeeps.

The route between Bangor and Bar Harbor is all good road.

It really falls to which vehicle would you enjoy driving the most?

Old 12-24-2012, 10:57 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,388,748 times
Why not fly into Bar Harbor?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM

3,925 posts, read 3,570,347 times
Rent a Subaru.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,453,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2thekesh View Post
If I was flying into Bangor, ME and driving to Bar Harbor in January, what kind of car should I rent? I'm from Illinois and have driven in some bad winter weather (with a Toyota Matrix) but probably not as bad as Maine.

Thanks!
Whatever they give you will be fine I ve driven in Ill in blizzards Maine doesnt get aolt of sideways snow like you guys do

Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Whatever they give you will be fine .......
This year, I got a Subaru and then I put winter tires on it. The difference from driving my Ford Focus last year with 3 season tires on it was ASTOUNDING. Snow and Ice conditions seemed like dry pavement. From the New Years storm my driveway became a sheet of ice. Since its an up hill slide, I had to put the steel spring walkers on it so I wouldn't fall down when I walked the dog. The Subaru with the winter tires navigated on it like it was simply drive pavement.

Sure you can drive anything in winter and I always did. But it you want to be more than just OK, get a Subaru and specify winter tires.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
This year, I got a Subaru and then I put winter tires on it. The difference from driving my Ford Focus last year with 3 season tires on it was ASTOUNDING. Snow and Ice conditions seemed like dry pavement. From the New Years storm my driveway became a sheet of ice. Since its an up hill slide, I had to put the steel spring walkers on it so I wouldn't fall down when I walked the dog. The Subaru with the winter tires navigated on it like it was simply drive pavement.

Sure you can drive anything in winter and I always did. But it you want to be more than just OK, get a Subaru and specify winter tires.
The difference between regular tires and winter tires is what you are experiencing.

It is seen on all vehicles not just on a Subaru.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The difference between regular tires and winter tires is what you are experiencing.

It is seen on all vehicles not just on a Subaru.

Well that's certainly true, but I used to own a 4WD Jeep which only had regular 3 season tires, and believe me when I tell you that getting moving in difficult conditions was way easier with the Jeep than with with the Ford Focus. So when you double the start up traction, and then add the winter tires...BINGO!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Well that's certainly true, but I used to own a 4WD Jeep which only had regular 3 season tires, and believe me when I tell you that getting moving in difficult conditions was way easier with the Jeep than with with the Ford Focus. So when you double the start up traction, and then add the winter tires ... BINGO!
I can see that.

For breaking loose from the ice-gripping your tires from being parked makes sense to have 4WD.

Each of my 4WD vehicles benefit from using all four wheels in deep mud, loose soil and deep snow.

Much of the advantage is lost on pavement though.

Most people are far better served by driving on winter tires in winter.

As to the OP, roads betwixt Bangor and Bar Harbor are mostly pretty good roads. So none of this applies much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area