Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 PM
PGR PGR started this thread

10 posts, read 18,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Welcome.

Newdaawn paints a very good general picture of Bangor IMHO. The best thing you could do would be to visit. Overall, it is a great place to raise kids, but you may also want to consider other surrounding suburbs as well if you are looking for land.

As far as the drug issue and resulting crime level, speaking as an observer from a closer (work-related) perspective, IMHO, yes we have seen an increase in drug abuse - particularly in the last 15 years. I've been in the greater Bangor area for many years as well (having grown up nearby). Our PD and EMS people are called on to train other areas in Maine and other states in how to handle those who have consumed Methylenedioxypyrovalerone (aka Bath Salts or Monkey Dust). Why this drug had such a toe hold on Bangor when it first came out is unknown to many of us who were privy to a closer inspection of it during its reign; however, I'm happy to say that the "epidemic" that many people spoke of a few years back has definitely waned. I think once people started seeing what kind of physical havoc it caused, it started falling out of favor as a recreational drug. The drug "Spice" was also popular for a while (synthetic marijuana) but those businesses who sold it have worked an agreement with the city to no longer stock it at all. I call that good cooperation.

The area's medical community is starting to step up to the plate with tracking prescription drugs, but yes, there is still a problem here, but I don't think it's any worse than any other area anyway. Be that as it may, Bangor does house 3 methadone clinics. They are met with a variety of "opinion" but suffice to say that when the economy tanked, many people naturally moved closer to where core services such as this are located, so Bangor has seen an increase in resulting problems that sometimes come with such services. And (not meaning to 'stereotype') unfortunately, where there is a drug problem, there is usually poverty (often because of the drug abuse issue).

That said, not all poverty is caused by drug abuse - there are those who work very hard at low paying jobs, but still manage to raise great kids who appreciate what they have. I've met many over the years. We are suburbanites, and I'll just add that I have found that there can be some untrustworthy subdivision "upper" income kids as well.

I have two teenagers now, and there have been a few times when I had to sever their ties with toxic friends, but as I tell my kids, "It's my job and I do it well, so suck it up and find other friends." If you are a proactive parent in this regard, your children should not have a problem finding friends who are trustworthy.

Oh sure, once or twice I got the major heaving sigh and immediate eyeball roll, but the bottom line is that they know I have their back. Personally, I think Bangor and surrounding communities have less of this kind of foolishness as to compared to my relatives spread across the US. Just my .02 there.

As far as downtown Bangor is concerned, they have really worked hard to bring business, culture and fun back to Bangor. IMHO they are doing a great job. You may have also heard about problems with loitering in downtown. Bangor PD has brought back a foot patrol to the area, and much of the issues are being dealt with and getting better.

Here are a few links to get you started.

City of Bangor: The Official Municipal Website for the City of Bangor, Maine

Waterfront Concerts: Home - Waterfront Concerts

American Folk Festival: The American Folk Festival on the Bangor Waterfront - August 23, 24, and 25, 2013 - The American Folk Festival

This one has several links within it: Visiting Bangor, Maine - The American Folk Festival

KaBang Festival: KAHBANG 2013

I'm sorry- I am just now seeing this (so much for notification about new posts...). Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your perspective - very, very helpful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Bangor has 3 meth clinics....that ought to tell you something. There is a growing drug culture in the area, and like one poster said, it's really picked up in the last 15 years or so. I have a friend who owns several rental units downtown & he has had drug issues over the years with his renters. There's more poverty than average in the area, but very little physical crime.

That said: l agree with the many posters who have mentioned, that in general, the Bangor area is safe & a decent place to live. One way to feel more secure is to send your children to a local private school. Aside from the better education, that in general, a private school affords; they don't have to take in every kid that shows up at the door, and can boot out troubled students with ease unlike a public school.

Of course the private school thing only works if you can afford it If I still had young children in the schools these days I would only use the public schools until grades 5 or 6, but to be honest, I doubt that I would use them at all. Too much nonsene going on in public schools everywhere for my taste. Good luck

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 09-10-2013 at 03:21 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Bangor has 3 meth clinics....that ought to tell you something...
That's funny, because many years ago when they were trying to fight the first methadone clinic, all the the "professionals" said this would never happen. Well now the "professionals" are rich and the city a druggie center. Well, anyway.....

Bangor has one of the best public school systems in the state. There are also several private schools in the Bangor area, but unless you are thinking of a religious one, most aren't better, or safer, than the Bangor public school system. You just have to pick the neighborhood you want to live in. Stay away from downtown areas, and stay well away from the Main Street area (I'd say, at least 10 blocks), they are the worst. The further from downtown you live, the better. Public housing areas are also going to have problems, and some of these are outside of town. There are exceptions, but these are some very general guidelines.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:25 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
It sounds like the OP is looking for a large plot of land, so perhaps they will be outside of Bangor if they come up. In an event the issues in downtown are troubling. I know things change, and the area has a lot going for it, but I liked Bangor before the gambling & before the meth clinics & before the section 8 culture got a foothold in town....but that can be said for many places these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
View detailed profiles of: