U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,513,845 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I am retired, military. Living in a large congested, way overcrowded city in the PNW. I am considering a move to Bangor, ME....as it is on my short list of places I am researching for retirement. I am single, with no kids, and can go anywhere I want. Please tell me about these things:

Crime in Bangor?

Are people friendly? I am Christian and go to church

Is it good for dating? Are there mature single women in the area for friendship and dating?

Are the winters worse then say, in North Dakota?

Is it pretty there?

Nearest VA medical center or Clinic?

How is the housing market right now there? Heating costs?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:55 AM

8 posts, read 9,585 times
this website has seemed to have died

not "much" crime but there is some...the streets are safe to walk around

people are friendly just dont brag about were you are from

dating i have no clue about

winters are a "little" milder being near the coast

Pretty no its BEAUTIFUL

there is a va clinic in bangor and va hospital in augusta ...Togas

dont know about housing

heating ...i would use wood for primary there has been alot of "Strange" weather causing power outages lately

i am from Buffalo area ie daily lake effect of snow rain or clouds cause the lakes do not freeze over anymore

i will be headed back to Bangor in March before the shutdown hopefully i call it the "safety area"

Old 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM

169 posts, read 253,109 times
Bangor is nice, but you might want to be in one of the places on the midcoast if you want to meet people, etc.
I used to live there and there wasn't that much happening in Bangor, but there is a university nearby.

I think a place like Bath or Belfast might be a fun place to be when retired.

We are planning on retiring to Ellsworth, but you'll see that Belfast or Bath are more scenic.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:54 PM

32,512 posts, read 52,935,349 times
Greetings starrider434

I am also retired military.

I was stationed on a couple different boats in Puget Sound [Bremerton, and Bangor subase]

Overall crime in Maine is very low.

My experience has been that I find people here to be very friendly. My Dw and I are active with church, VFW and lodge.

Comparing winters here to North Dakota, is sly. Most want to compare to the snow-belt [Michigan, Chicago,
NYC, Rochester, Hartford, Boston], but we are mostly North of that snow belt. We would compare more to ND, you are very perceptive.

I think that Maine is very pretty. Personally I am partial to tall mountains [which are lacking here], but 92% of Maine is forested. Everywhere you travel you are looking at forest. Maine has a lot of rivers. lakes and ponds. there is no drought here, so you never see dead brown grass covering the hills.

As a military retiree, I go to EMMC for most of my medical needs. Every health facility here accepts Tricare. However there is a VA hospital in Augusta that many vets use.

I recommend that you rent an apartment, and scope out the region for 6 months. Maine has different regions. Each region has a different feel. The coast is entirely different from inland [and we have 3,000 miles of coast-line]. The area around Portland is an entirely different Maine from the other 99% of Maine. 6 months in Bangor would give you time to play tourist and see which region suits you the best.

I know people who live way up North and they think it is fantastic. Others are over by MDI and they think that area is best. Belfast is a unique feel to it also.

Good luck

Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 11,963 times
My husband and I are retired. Three years ago, we moved to a town outside Bangor. I think we lucked out. I am a retired therapist and my husband retired from sales management. We both love our town and neighborhood. People are genuine and helpful. Heating costs are typical for any area that gets very cold weather. This year we've had some very cold days. I would suggest a wood stove since power does go out. We use a generator when the power goes out (which is not often) as the house we bought has a pellet stove (in addition to oil) which needs electricity.

You'll find a variety of people from all walks of life. A friend was recently in the VA hospital for a few weeks. Both he and his wife were impressed with the care. My husband who is a veteran uses Eastern Maine Medical and VA. He was in a serious accident two years ago and we feel strongly that the surgeon prevented him from being paralyzed. I use St. Joseph's (Clinics for both recently opened in the next town from us). They're both expanding as the population is growing. The choice just depends on who you are and what you're looking for. As with anyplace, takes time to find the right providers.

Evidently there is good fishing as I've heard guys talking about it. There is a large art community here, health related activities; depending on your age, a great senior center which offers a competitive gym, good exercise classes, yoga, art, shows, plays, different presentations. It's a tremendous resource. We've developed many friendships.

There appear to be a good number of single women living here. One needs to get involved in the community to meet them.

I think housing prices are reasonable for a new house or an old house. The coast is considerably higher. I find food prices high.

For me, crime is higher than I'm used to but overall pretty safe.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:11 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,513,845 times
Yes I was concerned about heavy heating costs in that region of the USA, and I think property taxes and car tax and etc...seem to be very high there in Maine as well. I am still considering and learning. Thanks for replies.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 PM

I think you may find that taxes [property and vehicle] will be less here than in Wa. That was one of the things that we noticed, as really standing out for us.

Heat may be a bit more than Sea-Tac though. We go through a bit less than 4 cords of wood each year here. We burned oil in the home we had in Bremerton, though I do not recall how many gallons we burned through.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:44 PM

As I said before we are going to retire to the Ellsworth area, Which we like, but there are advantages and disadvantages to every place. I think if you do retire to Maine there is nothing saying you can't take off for the coldest part of the winter and go some place down south. The heating oil you would save would practically pay for your time down there.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:46 PM

I guess Bangor made Forbes Magazine's best places to retire in 2013.
Bangor, Maine - In Photos: The 25 Best Places To Retire In 2013 - Forbes

Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi View Post
I guess Bangor made Forbes Magazine's best places to retire in 2013.
Bangor, Maine - In Photos: The 25 Best Places To Retire In 2013 - Forbes
The BDN has done a few articles about the masses of retirees migrating into Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area