Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,108 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are planning to relocate to Bangor in -almost exactly- one year. I am 28, she is 26. It will be us, our daughter and our two dogs. I separate from the Army at that time and Bangor is where we want to go.

I am currently working on welding certifications and my wife is wrapping up her A.S. as a medical lab tech. Both of us plan to continue education upon arrival.

We have searched and searched countless hours to make sure we have a solid list of all of the clinics and such where she can begin her new career. Can anyone lend me a hand with any other available (local maybe) sources to find as much as we can for her so that she can rest her weary head over this. She is under so much stress about finding a job (understandably, but we are giving ourselves a year). So if anyone can lead me on to a networking group, a local job forum, newspaper (I am following the BDN) or anything. This move HAS to happen.

Thank you to anyone who provides me with ANY ounce of help.

I have lived in Northern Washington state; Atlanta, GA; North Carolina; currently stationed in Texas (And have visited 45 of the 48 contiguous states) I am DONE with the heat. I long for snow and mild summers. I have seen and heard it all about the gray and the rain in Seattle, which I love. I thrive in what people call bad weather.

This has nothing to do with money. My wife and I did the rat race in Atlanta for the first 5 years of our marriage. Money is not what we're seeking here- we're looking for some tranquility that we can share with a family that we are trying to expand. It was there where I grew up in Washington, but has now been wiped out by the almighty subdivision. I like the small population of Maine and I like that it's winters are too much for most people. We used to joke in Washington that the 9 months of rain was to keep the Californians away... They came anyways.

Thank you for anything you can lend in terms of information on healthcare jobs in Bangor, as well as if you know anything about welding, maybe know a welder or someone associated with the Pipefitters Union. THANK YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
I hope it works out well for you guys here. There is a call for welders around. It shouldn't be difficult in that area. It shouldn't be bad with the med tech situation either, but I only use them from time to time, can't offer any help. Sorry.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:50 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Rent the first year you are here.

Strongly consider the reserves.

Otherwise I have no further ideas for you, sorry. I wish you the best luck

Old 09-19-2014, 04:35 PM

447 posts, read 647,377 times
Renting is a good idea so you can get a feel for things thats what I plan to do at first did the same thing where I'm at now and have decided against staying (in california) as for welding it seems to be in demand most places even the rural areas like mine has plenty of welding

Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,108 times
Thanks for the input so far, guys. I really appreciate it.
I'm definitely going reserves at least for a few years (basically to pay for health insurance)

We will look at renting, though the wife is dead set on buying a house asap.

I'm glad that we have another year to plan this out, but the thought of another Texas summer is a serious bummer.

One more question- I've got a really good friend from Saco who says that jobs can get scarce when winter rolls in. Being that this is a different area, and he is usually referring to the bluest of blue collar stuff- how true is this for the Bangor area? We are covering our butts on the money side, but I like to play worse-case scenario a lot. Are we talking desperation when the cold comes or a bit of a challenge?

Thanks again for any input. I know it's impossible to predict the future, I just want to identify as many variables as I can.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:58 PM

171 posts, read 195,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harristacartennon View Post
One more question- I've got a really good friend from Saco who says that jobs can get scarce when winter rolls in. Being that this is a different area, and he is usually referring to the bluest of blue collar stuff- how true is this for the Bangor area? We are covering our butts on the money side, but I like to play worse-case scenario a lot. Are we talking desperation when the cold comes or a bit of a challenge?
I'm guessing your friend is referring to anything obviously seasonally dependent like those connected to the tourism industry or the holidays (retail work), or construction jobs and road crews. The weather/frost/frozen ground prevent a lot of construction activity about 6 months a year (sometimes starting as early as October and going as late as through April). I'm not sure how weather dependent welding can be, I assume it depends on what you're working on? If there are cases where it's too cold to do the work, then you should expect that work will slow in the winter in Maine. The availability of other jobs in the area ebbs and flows without much connection to the weather, especially with regards to your wife's field.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2014, 11:20 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,569,241 times
Pipefitters are in demand in Bath Me. Maine has one of the oldest populations per capita. It shouldnt be hard to find a Med tech job anywhere. In Bangor GE has a plant Thats about it for metal work union type jobs. Cianbro out of Pittsfield is a major construction outfit with jobs all along the east coast.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:02 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harristacartennon View Post
The wife and I are planning to relocate to Bangor in -almost exactly- one year. I am 28, she is 26. It will be us, our daughter and our two dogs. I separate from the Army at that time and Bangor is where we want to go.

I am currently working on welding certifications and my wife is wrapping up her A.S. as a medical lab tech. Both of us plan to continue education upon arrival.

We have searched and searched countless hours to make sure we have a solid list of all of the clinics and such where she can begin her new career. Can anyone lend me a hand with any other available (local maybe) sources to find as much as we can for her so that she can rest her weary head over this. She is under so much stress about finding a job (understandably, but we are giving ourselves a year). So if anyone can lead me on to a networking group, a local job forum, newspaper (I am following the BDN) or anything. This move HAS to happen.

Thank you to anyone who provides me with ANY ounce of help.

I have lived in Northern Washington state; Atlanta, GA; North Carolina; currently stationed in Texas (And have visited 45 of the 48 contiguous states) I am DONE with the heat. I long for snow and mild summers. I have seen and heard it all about the gray and the rain in Seattle, which I love. I thrive in what people call bad weather.

This has nothing to do with money. My wife and I did the rat race in Atlanta for the first 5 years of our marriage. Money is not what we're seeking here- we're looking for some tranquility that we can share with a family that we are trying to expand. It was there where I grew up in Washington, but has now been wiped out by the almighty subdivision. I like the small population of Maine and I like that it's winters are too much for most people. We used to joke in Washington that the 9 months of rain was to keep the Californians away... They came anyways.

Thank you for anything you can lend in terms of information on healthcare jobs in Bangor, as well as if you know anything about welding, maybe know a welder or someone associated with the Pipefitters Union. THANK YOU.
What is she looking to do with her degree? Is she willing to start out in phlebotomy and perhaps move up to a diagnostics lab?

The two hospitals in the area are Eastern Maine Medical Center (a tier two (last I knew) trauma center and St. Joseph Hospital St. Joseph Healthcare : Welcome

There is also a lab which does testing the hospitals don't as well. http://dahlchase.net/index.php?optio...65&Itemid=1733

As far as clinics - Google is accurate:https://www.google.com/#q=healthcare...n+bangor+maine

As far as welding goes: UA Local 716 : The Maine Plumbers and Pipefitters | Maine's Most Experienced Plumbers for 100 years

Welding Shops in Bangor, Maine with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

I have a friend who is a welder for Cianbro. She's very happy there. I also know a few people who have built their own shops and are successful.

Careers

Good luck!

Last edited by cebdark; 09-23-2014 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
View detailed profiles of: