U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:59 PM

12 posts, read 18,544 times

Advertisements

Is Bangor an easy place to make friends? Are there many artists? Is it retiree-friendly? We're thinking of retiring there in the future. I'm a psychotherapist and would want to have a private practice. Would people be open to that, or is it very conservative? All thoughts on there things would be helpful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 AM

10,190 posts, read 15,918,199 times
Bangor is friendly, has great hospitals and many recreational opportunities. Housing costs are moderate. Maine's cities are more liberal than our rural areas. I don't know about the arts community, but there are a few "life coaches" which may indicate a need for psychotherapy on a more trained and certified level.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Thank you so much for that info. Very helpful.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,827,104 times
I'm not sure what you mean by being "open" to you opening a practice in Bangor? And what has being conservative have to do with it? Maybe some self-analysis might be in order Sounds like more likely to be a business decision.

Bangor has fantastic hospitals, yet still has a small city feel to it. I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but I know that there are galleries all around Bangor and coastal Maine. One of the great things about Bangor is that is is surrounded by communities that is is difficult to imagine that one could not make a choice that fit their lifestyle.

Have you visited Bangor yet? If you aren't familiar with the weather in central Maine I'd advise that you rent for a year to make sure it is what you want.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:03 PM

404 posts, read 695,978 times
Bangor is not as artsy as the costal towns of rockland, camden, belfast or portland. But some of those are not far away. Near Bangor is a university in Orono, University of Maine may have need for psychotherapy help or even teaching. There is also a few assisted living facilities with Alzheimer wings.

It is retiree friendly, in my opinions, but noone cold possibly know for sure if a private psychotherapy practice would well, Just doing a basic search suggests you'd have competition.

Dorothea Dix is the name of the local psychiatric center:
Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center; DHHS Maine

Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,588,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cocomut View Post
Is Bangor an easy place to make friends? Are there many artists? Is it retiree-friendly? We're thinking of retiring there in the future. I'm a psychotherapist and would want to have a private practice. Would people be open to that, or is it very conservative? All thoughts on there things would be helpful!
Have you visited for any appreciable amount of time? That would be best for you to know if it's your cup of tea. Bangor has an arts community, and I don't think you'd have a problem finding clients for your practice either for that matter.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Downtown Bangor Arts Collaborative |

Old 01-11-2015, 08:53 PM

7,447 posts, read 13,318,768 times
Bangor got high marks on a list of places to retire just last year. I know I could never live there. I would never be able to deal with, that kind of cold and long winters.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:56 PM

6,223 posts, read 6,967,285 times
Bangor is a nice city, I took these pics while I was there.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your help, and for the great pictures, Woxyroxme! I plan to visit this summer. Not so worried about the cold, we're former Minnesotans, where it was much colder. I am worried about the heating bills for oil-based heat though. And please pardon me for my weird question about people being open, I'm not sure what I had in mind when I wrote that. Maybe that some folks would not consider going to a therapist for help with their problems; conservatives might keep things in the family or go to a minister. Can't wait to visit the area. I've only been as far north as Rockland.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:34 PM

631 posts, read 622,849 times
From what I read on the Maine gov site, the price of No. 2 Oil is at an all-time low average of $2.49/gal, which is pretty competitive with the rest of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or