U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM

32,552 posts, read 53,003,517 times

Advertisements

You can bring cats through customs. The last time that we lived in the UK, going from the UK to America the quarantine period is short. It was the move from America to the UK where the quarantine period was really long.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,994 times
Default Crossing the pond

Hi Cheska

I've enjoyed reading your posts. I'm hopeing to move to Orono as a student. Currently in Vermont, we used to have a home in Brunswick ME. I LOVE Maine... I'm desperate to get near the ocean again. We also lived in Cornwall UK and I loved the beaches. I hope your your move goes smoothly. Look up craigslist: maine classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events you should find loads of rentals etc.
Keep me posted when you arrive. We'll go for tea!

Smiles Millysue

Old 05-02-2008, 06:26 PM

10 posts, read 24,664 times
hi millysue

It was so nice to read your message. It would be great to go for a cup of tea with you. It will be good to meet up when i arrive as i will not know anyone in orono or at the university. I am just waiting for my forms from the International office so that i can apply for my visa ( not much time left). I hope to fly to boston with my children and then hire a car to drive to Bangor. ive heard that the scenery is wonderful and i love to drive ....wow cant wait!!!!!

It is nice to read the posts and im so looking forward to meeting people and going to the farmers market in orono. Everyone tells me how friendly the people are and im so excited. I just have to rent my property here in england and ive had to give up my treasured job, but what the heck you only live once. xx

Ive looked on craiglist but dont seem to find what id ideally like. I would love a small 2 or 3 bed house not far from the university but something reasonably priced. it has to be fully furnished as i will only have my suitcase. I will miss my home here in england and in comparison i think the houses in america are soooooooooo big. lol I will arrive in august around the 14th and hopefully i will find a place for my family then xxx

nearer the time i will certainly swap details and then we can meet up at uni xx

Im so excited now and cant wait to visit maine.
Take care see you soon

cheska xxxxxx

Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,994 times
Hi Cheska,

Just got back from a quick visit to Bangor, Orono and Old Town. I wanted to see the area in person and check out the High Schools. My son (16) liked the looks of the schools in Old Town. We only had a couple of hours to scout around, so we didn't get a real good look around. Getting lost we seemed to go in circles from one town to the next. I noticed a few houses that had for lease signs on them. A realtor would probably be of help.

There was no shortage of shopping!!

We used to spend our Sataurdays at Trenance Newquay while my daughter had horse riding lessons. We sat by the lake and packed the stones on from yummy cream tea's.

Cheers Millysue

Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 AM

Hi Milly Sue

Time has passed since I last vivited the forum. I was interested in your progress so far on your move near to The University of Maine in Orono. Things have been hectic here in England as it has been difficult trying to plan a move from so far away. I have my appointment at The American Embassy in London next week for my visa (fingers crossed). I have been finding it difficult to find furnished accomodation and I dont know of any realtors in Maine who deal with rentals. Somebody today has told me they have a place for rent in Veazie. Any feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated.... As long is I can get to University easy for 8am and its not too far then it could be a possibilty. Ive heard from another post that there is a school bus for high school, but still I have no info about the school.

I would love to hear from you and see how things are progressing ..

Speak soon

Love Cheska

Old 07-16-2008, 05:47 AM

6,204 posts, read 11,975,647 times
I grew up in Veazie and went to high school in Orono. For the first two years we took the city bus. Veazie borders Orono, it's a short ride.

Veazie doesn't have a high school so you have a choice between Orono, Bangor, John Bapst and Brewer. They're good schools. There's a bus to Orono but you'd have to provide transportation to the others.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 PM

thankyou for the feedback maine writer...... The school bus to orono sounds perfect.. I guess by 'growing up in Veazie' you mean its a nice place to live???? It is so difficult to choose an area to live for a year, when I am so far away. I wanted to choose somewhere with lots of greenery and trees , yet not so far from university and school for my daughter. The bus route is extra important because that will be our only means of transport.. unless you have some cheap cars in mind for me....lol....Anyway thankyou so much. The folks who contribute their opinions and advice provide so many helpful facts which provide ( hope i can speak for others too), information that is so greatly appreciated. I hope to meet many like you during my stay in Maine xx.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,748 times
Default I went to UMO and lived in the area for 10 years

hello,

I lived in University Park for couple of years when I was a student of University of Maine. You can ask UMO to get the information. It is very close to UMO Campus, and it they still have the same service, internet and cable TV is free. Your obligation to pay is only light and rent. They riased rent quite bit in recent years, but I still beieve that all things you need is included and I really liked the environment. They have coin laundry in each building. I still beleive that University Park is most economical and pleasant place to live.

If you want to buy a car, please check UMO web site for classifies. There are many students who want to sell their car because of relocation.

I beleive that you must have your computer account already to access student site.

Working there is not easy to find, but if you are not picky, there are many opportunities in restaurant business. They like to hire students.

You might want to apply work study in your department in UMO as well. They are always looking for students who want to help professors and other work on campus.

International student office is another place to ask any work you can do. There are many students who want to learn English. Contact IEI (intensive english institute) for any conversation partner position. I am from Japan, and I graduated IEI, then UMO. My degree is B.S in Elementary Education. I liked the UMO a lot, and I hope you will enjoy studying there. UMO is a very relaxed University and you can study as much as you want at the same time you can enjoy meeting great people.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 PM

Hi I just wanted to let you know that ive finally arrived in Maine.... It was a long trip but well worth the wait. I am so overwhelmed by how friendly everyone is. So welcoming and accommodating and very very helpful.. So everyone out there who needs to know about the Mainers, I can tell you... They are the friendliest bunch around...... Even the bus driver and the people on the bus.....

It is so pretty and I love Orono... Been to Bangor already and am going to see old town tomorrow..... Still havent got anywhere to live for the next 10 months , but im looking around tomorrow, so fingers crossed....

Anyway its not bad going considering I only arrived from England last night..

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone for their advice and kind help

Cheska xxxxx

Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,429,945 times
Good for you and best of luck Cheska, I'm sure you'll find housing in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area