Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2006, 02:03 PM

18 posts, read 79,158 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of the threads but don't see one from MA to ME. We would like to leave MA behind and are thinking of Maine. A lot of my friends are taking off the the south but I am a total New England Yankee and think Maine might be a better fit. Based on home prices here now compared to when we bought our house we should be able to buy something Maine and end up with no mortgage. Taxes, insurance and heating costs are about the same I guess. I thought car insurance would be lower but maybe not? I also wondered if the political climate is more conservative than in MA which is totally liberal. I know all of New England tends to lean a bit left compared to other parts of the country so I am not expecting miracles. Any insights on about Bangor area to +/- 30 or so minutes to Bangor either direction would be great. We want some land for sure but want to be a reasonable distance to the city for the library, shopping etc. It looks doable from here but would love some words of wisdom. It also sounds like finding a job is difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 05:58 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,850,901 times
Well, we left Maine because of the job market but that doesn't mean you won't find something suitable. Especially if you won't have a mortgage. That will give you a little more leeway with your salary requirements, at least to get started.

As for the Bangor area. I would definitely suggest the smaller towns outside Bangor. Hampden is a nice area with larger pieces of property available, good schools and is only 10-15 minutes from Bangor. Hermon is also growing in popularity and, again, is an easy commute. I don't know about the school system though. I don't recall hearing anything really terrible about it but you would want to do a lot more research of course.

Winterport is about 20-25 minutes from Bangor and is further south than Hampden. It's a very small town and would put you very close to Belfast, which is right on the coast.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 PM

165 posts, read 411,817 times
Bangor is a beautiful city, but I chose to live a bit north. Old Town/Orono area. If you're selling your house in MA for a good profit, you could probably easily find a house you can pay cash for here (I have a 3 bdrm home, beautiful area - picked it up for under $150K).

As to auto insurance: mine went down by 2/3 here (I came from NH).

They (we) elect democrats a lot here, but that appears to be because of the desire to protect the environment, and not for other issues. The people around here are far more conservative in the way they live their lives than I had ever imagined they would be.

This area is like Mayberry, so if that's what you're looking for, it still exists. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:31 PM

989 posts, read 5,908,355 times
Lost in Taxachusetts- It humors me to find that you created your name and posted this message the day after elections.. I saw Deval Patrick's win coming before Gov. Romney was born. I know and understand how you feel and what your motives for moving are. In whole, Maine will be much more comforting for you. Portland, Maine is byfar the most liberal city in Maine, as with many of the surrounding towns. They are very pro-illegal immigrants, pro-homeless rights, very pro-diversity, and suffer high taxation. Look outside that area, and you should be fine. While the voting records in the state look to be democratic you will find that the agenda that they push to be much more moderate and center stage.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:32 PM

423 posts, read 1,924,610 times
Portland is "pro-illegal immigration"? It is not an issue that really effects Mainers as much as other states, but I would not conclude that a definite majority of citizens around Portland are pro-illegal immigrants. You are mistaken.
Maine is probably more conservative than most people think. Gambling referendums always get shut down. Mainers try to conserve the forests and wildlife. Billboards are not allowed. The citizens dont want these changes. There is current controversy concerning the possibility of a Hooters coming to Portland. Maine is either the 2nd to last or last state to not have one. The people of Maine tend to want to preserve their way of life and reject changes found in many other states.

Last edited by tkx7; 11-08-2006 at 11:45 PM..

Old 11-09-2006, 12:03 AM

16 posts, read 127,506 times
Maine, where the democrats are REAL democrats and, the republicans are too.

Maine is insanely liberal, throughout the state. When I first moved to Maine I asked my neighbors how things got so screwed up politically and they told me it was all the crazies from Mass / away that had come up and ruined things LOL. Of course, a state can't be ruined without it's own consent.

Mainers are, for the most part, complacent people politically. They seem to think that there is little that can be done to remedy things so they lay low and focus on what they have to do to make a life for their families. That is more than a full time job in itself. They aren't stupid by any means, nor are they uncaring but they are definately sheep. They are timid, stick together and don't make waves. Those who are politically "motivated" are supported quietly, provided what they're trying to do makes sense. In general you won't see a Mainer step forward and agitate the powers that be and that is the crux of all that is wrong with the state. You hear remarks like "that's the way it's always been" or "it's like that everywhere" which translates to "nothing I can do about it"

Jobs are few and without decent pay or benefits because the state has taken away the profit and predictability of doing business in Maine. The taxes, and multitudes of superfluous fees and registrations are there because the democrats/liberals feel that the town, state and federal government should be "intimately" involved in everything that you and your family do. It is very much 1930's germany in that regard. Unfortunately, the laws are no help as the liberal courts do not enforce them. The judges are appointed by the state and they do the state's bidding. It really leaves no recourse for the average citizen and perhaps laying low really is the only answer.

I wasn't able to do that and became political for the first time in my life. It cost me my faith in everything I used to believe in, patriotically speaking. It is no picnic financially to live in two states and to pay expenses and taxes on a house you seldom see. I have heard that there have been some improvements since I've been in Texas. I would love to come home to my house and my things. No snow down here ya know ; ( I hope the recent elections won''t overly enthuse the liberals up there and undo what progress has been made. The people of Maine deserve much better than they get and, with a bit of concentrated effort on everyone's part it could easily be as the state motto suggests, the way life should be.

BTW, I agree with the earlier poster regarding insurance. I found both auto and homeowners insurance to be not only very reasonable, but handled by quite competent people. Cognitive dissonance at every turn in Maine.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 AM

86 posts, read 482,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
Portland is "pro-illegal immigration"? It is not an issue that really effects Mainers as much as other states, but I would not conclude that a definite majority of citizens around Portland are pro-illegal immigrants. You are mistaken.
Maine is probably more conservative than most people think. Gambling referendums always get shut down. Mainers try to conserve the forests and wildlife. Billboards are not allowed. The citizens dont want these changes. There is current controversy concerning the possibility of a Hooters coming to Portland. Maine is either the 2nd to last or last state to not have one. The people of Maine tend to want to preserve their way of life and reject changes found in many other states.
I think by saying "pro-illegal immigration" means that the City of Portland has reigned supreme saying that the Police are not allowed to ask people they are dealing with if they are here legally, or if they have a green card. The city basically welcomes them and will not take any steps to "legally" deal with it. ie. sending them back. It is like Clinton's "Don't ask don't tell" policy.
By choosing to ignore illegal immigrants and ordering Police to "look the other way", it kind of has a "pro-illegal immigration" feeling to it.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:23 PM

423 posts, read 1,924,610 times
I think the town government and town meetings in Maine do not reflect liberal ideas, but the way things have been in New England for centuries. Citizens can have an active say in their local government, and local town governments have more presense and influence than the state government.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM

31 posts, read 110,921 times
Default MA to ME

Maine is a large state so you may wish to do some research on which part of the state interests you. the Northern more rural areas tend to be more conservative while the South tends to be more liberal. Housing costs vary so I'd advise visiting realtors.com for more information. Heating costs are probably highter than MA so inquire about the specific property of interest, ask for the prior years paper on those costs

Old 01-06-2007, 05:18 AM

53 posts, read 261,124 times
Bangor is a great choice. A small city with a friendly neighborhood feel yet with just about all the conveniences anyone could hope for.. except those that really like big city living.

Within 10 minutes of downtown, you are in the country and compared to most of Mass., real estate is available for very reasonable prices.

Jobs? It depends on what you do. Bangor provides lots of opportunity for the right people and, I dare say, it is getting better everyday.

There is so much to say.. so little space. I love it here and wouldn't leave it for anywhere else. Feel free to contact me directly with specific questions, happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area