Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 52,437 times

Advertisements

I'm considering attending the University of Maine in Orono, but I may not have a chance to visit. Can anyone tell me what the location looks like, or what the the weather is like there? I've looked on the internet, but I don't know how accurate that is.
Does anyone know the difference between the three U of M schools? The population difference is huge, but how does the location vary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
THREE University of Maine Schools? Ah, I think something may be missing. There is the University of Maine in Orono, The University of Maine in Presque Isle, The University of Maine at Machias, and the campus in Fort Kent, is there not, and then there is the University of Southern Maine and the University of Maine in Augusta....

Seems to me you should do a bit more research and focus on what is is that you want to study, rather than on where you want to study it.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 PM

48 posts, read 111,357 times
there is also U of M at Farmington in western maine. Orono campus is very pretty and probably looks like the website. close to bangor, about 20 min. bangor now has gambling-slot machines! weather is cool now and soon to get cold and snow will deffinitely be falling. what else do you want to know? Orono has a good accedemic program for many areas of study, a good choice.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
U of ME at Farmington is highly rated nationwide as well. It is in the western mountains and the surrounding area of Mt. Blue is beautiful. Very cold and snowy of course in the Winter, January in particular.

It really depends on what you wish to study which campus you choose. They each have specialties that they are well known for.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:53 PM

53 posts, read 267,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwoman2u View Post
weather is cool now and soon to get cold and snow will deffinitely be falling.
Just thought I'd commiserate a bit on the cold - it was 5 degrees this morning in the Rockies! I can't believe I want harsher winters!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 PM

252 posts, read 709,961 times

Obviously, you are very unhappy living in Maine. It's funny you say that Mainers who go to the University leave Maine after graduating, insinuating that they can't wait to leave. So not true. Most of them have to leave the state because there are no jobs. I, myself, a UMO grad (umograd83, duh!), left after graduation. But I missed Maine so much that after five years in DC, I moved "home". DH and I now live in the Memphis, TN area because of a great job opportunity here. If you are so unhappy, find some other place where you will be happy. Life is too short to be so miserable. Hope you find yourself a "home".

Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 771008 View Post
I don't advise moving to Maine to attend the University. I did the same thing and it was a HUGE mistake!!!! People here are very proud of the university- because it is the best thing they have-- but that's not saying much! What I found out it that the universities here are really just intended for all the in-state people who were born and raised in Maine and have no intention of leaving. Anyone coming from outside of Maine has had a VERY difficulty time adjusting here.... and I attend the largest (and supposedly most accepting) university in Orono.

Oh, so your a COLLEGE student! Well that explains the attitude. You haven't had any experience with life yet. Here, I have some advice for you.

Right down the street from whatever hole you are living in right now, is an Army recruiter. Go there and see if they will take you in. They will give you training and education and then send you all sorts of places where there are other young people who are doing REAL work in a REAL world.

A lot of those young people would love to change places with you right now because they have experience dealing with real issues rather than whining about ones that are made up.

Stop whining and start doing something with your life. Start doing something someplace, there is a LOT of work to do in the world and every second that you spend whining about how lousy you think where you are is, is a second that you are wasting out of the one life that you will have.

I think you need some real world experience and while it might not be politically correct to suggest it, a few years in service to your country will teach you many invaluable things, including perhaps some things that you do not want to do again.

It will also get you out of Maine if that is your choice.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I went to the University of Maine in Orono, and while I loved it, it took some time for me to adjust. I came from a small school, and being in a class of 250 (freshman bio, calc, psych....many of the into classes are that size) was a HUGE transition for me. If I had it to do over, I'd have gone to Farmington, especially since I changed my major to early childhood ed after my soph. year. I loved the campus, and it does look like it does in the pics, and I loved that people were really friendly and open. It has been almost 20 years (how did that happen?), but I can't imagine that it's all that different. Good luck with your decision, and remember, you can always transfer out if you keep your grades up!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 06-11-2007 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: spelling....

Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Another UMO grad here, and I can't disagree more with 771008. I loved the campus, still do whenever I get a chance to visit it. Yes, those freshman survey courses can be huge, but once past those I found small classes taught by professors (NOT bored grad students) who know their subjects.

ColllegeLooker, you don't say where you're living now, but be aware that Orono has a true four-season climate. That means it snows in the winter, sometimes quite a bit all at once. If you're into the outdoors, there's an outstanding outing club on campus.

Also, depending on what your interest area is, the University of Maine system has six other campuses, as already noted, and each has its specialty. Do some research, or feel frree to ask specific questions here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area