Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:51 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,030 times

Advertisements

What technology are they using to make stop signs that everyone else can see, but I apparently cannot. I'm talking about the entrances from Stillwater Avenue to the Mall, which form T intersections with the ring road that surrounds the mall. Ever since I started driving, I've always seen two stop signs for the ring road, but I have never seen any for the roads that connect from Stillwater to the ring road.

I can't even see them on Google maps. But they must be there, because any time I go into the mall area, the person in front of me inevitably stops and treats the intersection that looks to me like a two-way stop as though it were an all-way stop. Either that, or people look right at me, see me coming, and pull out in front of me as though they expect I am supposed to stop. So what kind of mysterious gadget do I need in order to see these invisible stop signs that everyone else but me is able to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 05:37 PM

321 posts, read 486,741 times
This happens to me every time I go to the mall, and it's really frustrating. I'm not afraid to use the horn when people just stop in the middle of the road for no good reason.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:15 PM

155 posts, read 196,105 times
Sounds like typical Maine driver behavior. People complain about the Mass folks that visit but I'll take them any day over Mainers who interpret a green light as "stop and look around for a while just to be sure" and lane markers as suggestions.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:18 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I only visit the mall maybe once a year. So I do not deal with Mall ring road much. However at the Stillwater off-ramp from I-95, I routinely see people who decide to park their car when the light turns green. With 10 cars behind them waiting, people will freeze when the light turns green. It is a turn-only lane, the light is an arrow showing which way you have decided to turn. There is no reason for a long discussion or reading a map. All they need to do is release the brakes, turn the steering wheel to roll through the intersection. But it seems that half of the times I go through that intersection, the lead car will decide they would rather sit parked instead of driving their car, when we get a green light.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:37 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
They are waiting until all four lanes are clear of traffic so they can duck across and get a burger at Wendy's.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 AM

171 posts, read 197,592 times
I think a lot of people stop because it used to be a 4-way stop (habits die hard here- how many people still call it "Doug's" or "Shop 'n Save"?!) and because it wouldn't be unusual if it was. I'd guess it's habit for some and monkey-see-monkey-do for others.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:17 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Funny. I remember when it was the Davis farm and all you had to worry about was the herd of cows that would come running at you thinking you were going to feed them.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:07 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Funny. I remember when it was the Davis farm and all you had to worry about was the herd of cows that would come running at you thinking you were going to feed them.
I grew up five miles from there. It was much more civilized back then. Now it's just a mess.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:01 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
What technology are they using to make stop signs that everyone else can see, but I apparently cannot. I'm talking about the entrances from Stillwater Avenue to the Mall, which form T intersections with the ring road that surrounds the mall. Ever since I started driving, I've always seen two stop signs for the ring road, but I have never seen any for the roads that connect from Stillwater to the ring road.

I can't even see them on Google maps. But they must be there, because any time I go into the mall area, the person in front of me inevitably stops and treats the intersection that looks to me like a two-way stop as though it were an all-way stop. Either that, or people look right at me, see me coming, and pull out in front of me as though they expect I am supposed to stop. So what kind of mysterious gadget do I need in order to see these invisible stop signs that everyone else but me is able to see?
There aren't any stop signs when you are entering the mall from Stillwater Avenue. This, I always surmised, was a means to facilitate the flow of traffic so as to prevent traffic from backing up on Stillwater Ave.

In the early years (before Stillwater Ave. became the 4 lane mess it is now) there were stop signs.

Maybe people are recalling the early years, or it would seem like there should be a sign there. I don't know.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:06 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
to the OP.... quit your gripin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area