Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:07 AM

35 posts, read 36,607 times

Advertisements

The title says it all. I am a home pizza maker and this stuff seems really difficult to find.

I know Boucher's in Benton sells it by the can, but I will not shop there. Sonny's in Fairfield used to sell it to me, but a new owner took over a few years ago and he refuses to sell it to me by the can. No apparent reason. He hates money, I guess. Which is weird considering he jacked up the price of everything as soon as he took over. Maybe it's just my money he hates. The only option there are tiny containers that are $3 last time I checked. Which works out to well over $18 a can. Over three times wholesale, almost four. Ridiculous. I was buying cheese and dough there as well. So instead of getting $100-$200 a month from me he now gets nothing. Brilliant. He actually did me a favor. I get my cheese at corner store now. It is much better and it is cheaper. And I learned how to make my own dough. Twenty five cents for a dough ball now vs $2. And mine are never stale.

Anyway, I was buying at Darrell's for a while. They went out of business. A new pizza place came into the same building. They agreed to sell me a can but never got back to me on the price despite several inquiries. They went out of business not long after. I was going to Dennis Paper in Bangor and buying it by the case at around $5 a can. But that is not an option right now and they are too lazy and disrespectful to even answer emails. Not keen on giving them my money anyway. The only option I have found is Joseph's in Waterville. But they are horribly inconsistent. Sometimes it's in stock, sometimes it's not. They are not dependable. Unless you are looking for pepperoni. There are always 65 containers of that in the pizza section. Sauce? Not so much.

I would prefer to buy it by the can, but I don't mind buying a case if I have to. Or paying a little extra. It costs me $20 in gas to drive to Bangor. So anything in the $10 markup range (on a case) would be fine. Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 04:44 PM

37,460 posts, read 61,373,044 times
https://www.amazon.com/Full-Red-Pizz.../dp/B00ZPU8NHM

Old 08-09-2017, 08:02 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Google full red pizza sauce recipe.

lf you can make your own dough, I bet you can make a mean full red also.

Call me when it's ready. :-)

Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the responses. There are a few places online that sell it. But the shipping is so expensive that it's cost prohibitive. I've tried replicating it. I spent months trying. After Sonny's stopped selling it to me I had no source. This was before I found Dennis Paper. And Joseph's didn't carry pizza stuff at the time. I spent months and at least $100 experimenting. Not only could I not replicate it, none of it was fit to eat. The problem is they use San Marzano tomatoes from California which are vastly superior to anything you can find in a grocery store. I tried everything.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 937 times
Every Pizza shop I've worked at made their own sauce...and these businesses must know how to save a $1 or two...or three...

Old 12-07-2017, 02:06 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,893,375 times
May I suggest you grow your own tomatoes and make your own sauce. If you order from Amazon as suggested by Submariner, couldn't you sign up for Amazon prime and get free shipping. I just clicked on the link provided by Submariner. Apparently, you won't need Amazon prime. The sauce is $18.99 per can; if you spend $25 or more (two or more cans), you get free shipping.

In reading your post, you seem very frustrated, irritated, angry, a little hostile, maybe even unhappy--all resulting from pizza sauce or a lack thereof? All of the negative emotions seems like a waste of energy. ... unless of course, it's a life and death situation.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:06 PM

565 posts, read 935,002 times
to piggyback on growing your own.... The San Marzano tomato is the variety you are looking for.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:09 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I bet you can make your own sauce for much less, & it will be better, just like your homemade dough is.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmansell View Post
Every Pizza shop I've worked at made their own sauce...and these businesses must know how to save a $1 or two...or three...
I have no data to back this up, but I am willing to bet most pizza places use canned sauce. The one place I know of locally that makes their own is Capzza's Pizza. They also sell it in half quart containers. During my search I bought some there. It was some of the worst sauce I have ever tasted. At first I thought it was rancid. Then I realized that it was just overloaded with spices. It tasted like liquid oregano. Flushed it down the sink.

Seems like with the price of tomatoes it would be impossible to save any money making your own. Fully prepared sauce is about 80 cents a pound.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
May I suggest you grow your own tomatoes and make your own sauce. If you order from Amazon as suggested by Submariner, couldn't you sign up for Amazon prime and get free shipping. I just clicked on the link provided by Submariner. Apparently, you won't need Amazon prime. The sauce is $18.99 per can; if you spend $25 or more (two or more cans), you get free shipping.

In reading your post, you seem very frustrated, irritated, angry, a little hostile, maybe even unhappy--all resulting from pizza sauce or a lack thereof? All of the negative emotions seems like a waste of energy. ... unless of course, it's a life and death situation.
How you got any of that from reading my post is beyond me. You are trying way too hard to sound observant and clever. I could make my own inferences about what would cause a complete stranger to do that, but I wont. For what should be obvious reasons. Stop reaching and leave psychoanalysis to the people who are qualified. You are terrible at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area