U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 08:09 AM

32,493 posts, read 52,882,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolMoose View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted as overly argumentative and leading to several post deletions.
The mill was the largest employer in Old Town, and it was the biggest tax-payer. Once it shutdown the town went through a crisis in unemployment and lost tax revenue.

The area has been struggling economically.

Thankfully they still have the canoe factory and LaBrees.

Quote:
... Moderator cut: Bashing every business in Old Town is not helpful. (BTW, Deliverance was filmed in Georgia [thus has nothing to do with Maine].)
I have lived in cities that have had serious drug problems. Alleys littered with needles, you could not walk on the beach with bare-feet because there were so many discarded needles laying around. So far I have not seen any needles in Old Town. Not saying they are not here, just that I have not seen evidence yet. The sheriff's office has been spending a lot of resources on opiate addicts and methadone clinics are sucking up a lot of county tax revenue. The clinics charge for how many people are being treated, instead of for how many are cured. But that is county-wide, and not just Old Town.

We like Governor's restaurant. Angelo's pizza, Riverside pizza, Yamas [used to be Costas], and the China Garden restaurant.

State-wide young adults leave seeking high-paying jobs, while retirees migrate to Maine for the low cost-of-living and the lifestyle that Maine offers. The BDN has printed many articles addressing these two migrations.

I live in Argyle, another town that is adjacent to Old Town.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-27-2018 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Removing portions of quoted post which has been deleted.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 7,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

We like Governor's restaurant. Angelo's pizza, Riverside pizza, Yamas [used to be Costas], and the China Garden restaurant.
I don't think anyone "likes" Governors. I think you just tolerate it. Its literally a low budget Dennys, and I thought Dennys was already low budget. Governors is "bush league" at best. Riverside Pizza, home to the driest spaghetti ive had the displeasure of purchasing.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:13 PM

32,493 posts, read 52,882,202 times
Old town is not Boston

Old 02-26-2018, 04:29 PM

52 posts, read 69,184 times
So, probably arguing back and forth is not helping the OP. I will say that there have been a few mills that have shut down over the years here and the economy hasn't been great. However, things are looking up. Some of the mills have been sold and new businesses are opening in them, creating more jobs. I have noticed more job openings in areas outside of Bangor and throughout the state. Even in the small town I live in that has struggled with so many homes for sale....they are selling now. The economy is improving....stay positive. �� My husband is a carpenter/woodworker and he stays busy year around. We moved away for a couple of years, to NC, and I notice a lot of difference since moving then coming back. This is home, and it's a beautiful state. The Bangor mall is definite struggling and will be closing. ...I'm hoping someone will come in and buy it and do something amazing with it, there is so much potential. I personally would choose the outskirts of Bangor for safety reasons. I feel like Hampden, Hermon, Orono are all good areas. Good luck! If I can help in any way, feel free to message me. I'm not a realtor or anything, just a friendly work at home artist.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,277 times
I couldn’t remember how to log in for a while! I will definitely message you cschmand66. My husband is looking to be a stay at home artist. Metal is his media.

What about Holden? The views from there look beautiful. Seems like maybe not the best schools in the area but far better then where we are moving from. Plus Holden has school choice.
It’s somewhat funny to hear people describing some of the surrounding areas as grimy. I’m pretty sure that all of Maine is nicer than where I’m moving from in Wyoming. You haven’t seen grimy till you’ve lived near an oil refinery, where people think noxious odors and occasional soot storms are normal. Don’t start me on the pervasive thought that WY has the cleanest air around. Totally false where I am.

Anyway, our move is getting closer and I am excited. Finger crossed that our house sells!

Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 PM

321 posts, read 389,835 times
Holden is a fine choice. Small mountains, woods, lakes, and good proximity to Bangor. What’s not to like?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:43 PM

154 posts, read 161,501 times
Quote:
Bangor area in general is grimey. Just go to the local BMV for a few hours to get an idea. Id recommend Hermon as well, it looks like money is there, and successful people. Don't go north to old town or the outskirts, bad area.
Hmm I'd say Old Town/Orono area is actually a little better than Bangor proper. It's sorta the closest equivalent to the "suburbs." Now it's not amazing but I wouldn't completely discount them. On the other hand, someone mentioned Veazie. THAT I would avoid! We called it "Skeazy" in college for a reason. I rented in that town for a year and saw more sketchiness than I did anywhere else in 8 years of living in the Bangor area.

Quote:
I’m pretty sure that all of Maine is nicer than where I’m moving from in Wyoming.
Wait until you drive through Lewiston Maine sometime (shudder). And before the Maine cheerleading squad lectures me on how the Dirty Lew isn't that bad, I've been all over the US, even the worst parts of LA, Detroit, etc. Lewiston might not have the crime rate as those do (though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't close, especially when it comes to property and drug crime) but it would still be considered a place you want to floor the gas as you pass by it in any part of the country.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,138,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000ft View Post
I couldn’t remember how to log in for a while! I will definitely message you cschmand66. My husband is looking to be a stay at home artist. Metal is his media.
Maine Oxy has all the welding and gas supplies he will need. Bangor has a Harbor Freight store with many economical welding tools and clamps. (Locally, many men refer to Harbor Freight as the "big boy's toy store".

Old 03-28-2018, 07:19 AM

2,781 posts, read 2,643,203 times
Quote:
Bangor area in general is grimey. Just go to the local BMV for a few hours to get an idea. Id recommend Hermon as well, it looks like money is there, and successful people. Don't go north to old town or the outskirts, bad area.
Why not go North of Bangor? Seems like you should be living in Southern New England. Connecticut would be perfect for you.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 AM

127 posts, read 134,644 times
FlowerPower00 - I'm not sure what Connecticut has to do with OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area