U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,040 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are strongly considering moving to Bangor in January. Coming from AZ and TX, we will sure be in for a couple of surprises with the weather and whatnot, but so far very excited!

The thing is, we have no idea what areas of the town to stay away from. We pretty much rely on Google Maps and forums to see what the place is like, but most questions are old and somewhat open-ended. We are both young, no kids, and have an okay budget for a first house, but we keep reading that there are bad areas and drug areas and a homeless crisis and honestly it freaked us out a little bit. So I guess what I'm asking is, what area of the town, specifically, would you not live in? Where would you live?

We want to be close to the bus lines and in a safe area (safety being the #1 concern). We read that "downtown" is bad, but what is "downtown"? Some people say "some streets of downtown are bad, the rest is nice", so what streets are nice? One of the houses we are strongly considering is in the Route 202/Hammond St/Bass Park triangle, is that downtown? I mean, it looks pretty central haha.

We honestly fell in love with the town, but we have no idea where to look. Thank you everyone for any help you can give me (and sorry if the question is rambly)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 10:14 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,582,396 times
This might help:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Good luck! It's a beautiful state, I think you'll love it

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2018 at 01:38 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
This might help:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Good luck! It's a beautiful state, I think you'll love it

Thank you very much! It will help A LOT! Unfortunately, it looks like the house we loved is in a darker area of the map! Its close to a middle school so you'd think it wouldnt be bad, but oh well!

Once again thank you very much!

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2018 at 01:38 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 10:43 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,582,396 times
I think the markings are relative to within the city. So a very safe city will still have light and dark areas, but the light areas are relatively safer. If you look at realtor.com, which also has a crime map, you'll probably get a better picture of how it compares to other cities.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:30 PM

18,356 posts, read 13,214,466 times
Friends live on Howard st. rt 2 and EEMC at east end and quick access to Hogan rd, Mt Hope rd, Garland, Stillwater ave, Town center, rt 15, etc. Safe neighborhood unless you consider an occasional visit from a moose or nearby Stephen king's home off Broadway/Union.

Places along rt 2 toward town center a bit rundown. The area around Howard st is nice compared to area between rt 2 and south of Howard st.

South of the Kenduskeag is nice around SK's place, giant old Victorians.

Bangor is a great safe place.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:50 PM

32,493 posts, read 52,882,202 times
Welcome to Maine.

I suggest that you rent for your first year, while you get acclimated to living in Maine.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:26 PM

131 posts, read 94,544 times
glad your getting to make the move I am jealous! Can't get the wife onboard. I agree with submariner if and when we move we will rent for a bit perhaps move around a bit to find a good fit before buying

Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 PM

jdhpa, thank you, i just did a test with my city and it is definitely relative to the city! It is still the 2nd darkest area of the map but it puts it in perspective!

Kracer, that helped a lot, thanking you for naming out streets! I'll keep an eye out for the area and i think, besides the shock, moose wont be a problem haha

Submariner and jdoll88, i see what youre saying, but unfortunately I dont think we'd be able to rent. Rent prices are pretty high in the area and we have a considerable pack of animals haha

Once again i thank all of you for taking time out of your day to answer my question! Its been a great help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area