U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 04:00 PM

42 posts, read 24,382 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm interested in trying to move to Maine some time in early to mid summer, preferably in an area fairly close to Sugarloaf though far enough from that specific location to find less expensive opportunities for buying a house. People don't have to warn me that it will be cold. That's one of the main reasons for wanting to move up there. I would very much like to be in a place where I can ride a snowmobile to the trails without having to trailer if possible. I currently work at a wastewater treatment plant in the state of Georgia but have gotten my class 3 operator license in Maine in the hopes of being able to find a job in that field. I certainly want to have a job before moving up there. I plan on making a trip up to that area probably some time in February to experience the area in the winter and also try to find out about possible job opportunities. I've been trying to make a list of wastewater treatment plants within about 60 or so miles but further away would be okay also though less desirable. The wastewater plants I've found through Google all seem to be publicly run facilities but I'd be glad for any opportunity including a plant run by some sort of business. The place where I work now is a very small plant run by a resort.

Any suggestions on specifically how to proceed with this, or specific locations of treatment plants (especially privately run since public ones are easier to find with Google maps) or any kind of specific information about that area, or Farmington area, or any places in what seems to me the central part of the state would be very much appreciated. Also suggestions about areas where there might be lower priced real estate options in that part of the state. Also any snowmobiling related information or suggestions. I'm thinking I would like to volunteer for some trail grooming if it would be possible since that would add another whole level of learning and experience.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

David Harrison
Buford, GA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 AM

32,497 posts, read 52,888,037 times
Welcome to Maine

Wherever you go, I suggest that you rent a home your first year. That will give you a base of operations, from which you may explore the entire state at your leisure.

As you have stated, you should start with the job and look for a place within an easy commute from that job.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:40 PM

42 posts, read 24,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Welcome to Maine

Wherever you go, I suggest that you rent a home your first year. That will give you a base of operations, from which you may explore the entire state at your leisure.

As you have stated, you should start with the job and look for a place within an easy commute from that job.
That would be a smart approach. Thank you for the suggestion!

Old 12-31-2018, 07:39 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,973,384 times
The vast majority of communities in Maine do not have municipal sewage facilities, they rely on private septic systems. Seeking employment in a wastewater treatment facility will likely mean working in a larger town. The closest communities to Sugarloaf that would meet those requirements are probably Farmington and Skowhegan, both about an hour drive away.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 3,330 times
I can't speak with any knowledge of your field of work, so my answer may be way off base. That being said, if you can find employment in your field within a reasonable commute, you may want to look in the Millinocket & Lincoln areas. There are an abundance of snowmobile trails in the northern half of the state. This would also place you near I95 which is really the most important road in the state (it lets you live in a rural area but be a reasonable drive to Bangor or Portland should you need some urban outings). They also have dirt cheap housing costs (although high property taxes) because of the economic depression of that area. Lincoln seems to be doing better than Millinocket. But you could find a typical family home for $50k in Millinocket. I am sure you have stumbled across this, but if snowmobiling access is the biggest recreational activity you are basing your decision off of, visit https://webapps2.cgis-solutions.com/mainesnowmobile/ for a map of the trail system in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area