Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,458 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family is likely relocating to Maine from LI, NY for my husbands job in the next 2 years. He works in medicine and Bangor seems to be where the jobs are for his niche. I have spent quite a bit of time in Maine, I have family that lives in the Winthrop area.

Looking for some more opinions on towns to look into outside of Bangor that have a good school district and reasonable housing. Not really sure what our budget will be, I have to look into the cost of living and property taxes as I imagine that's pretty different compared to Long Island. We would love to live on a lake & we're not really interested in new construction type neighborhoods.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 10:53 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGall View Post
Hi everyone,

My family is likely relocating to Maine from LI, NY for my husbands job in the next 2 years. He works in medicine and Bangor seems to be where the jobs are for his niche. I have spent quite a bit of time in Maine, I have family that lives in the Winthrop area.

Looking for some more opinions on towns to look into outside of Bangor that have a good school district and reasonable housing. Not really sure what our budget will be, I have to look into the cost of living and property taxes as I imagine that's pretty different compared to Long Island. We would love to live on a lake & we're not really interested in new construction type neighborhoods.

Thanks for any feedback!
I live about 25 minutes North of Bangor, which is still in the Southern half of Maine though few seem to realize that fact.

I occasionally post links to houses on the market for under $50k. Low priced homes do exist.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/main...angor-49k.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/main...a-1-480-a.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/main...-essex-st.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/main...a-1-078-a.html

As you get out of Bangor, in many of the surrounding towns the property taxes are significantly lower than they are in Bangor.

Maine has a lot of fresh water rivers, lakes and ponds. I have a quarter-mile of river frontage on my land, along the Penobscot River.

Look at 'Hermon Pond' n Hermon.
'Pleasant Lake' in Stetson.
'Pushaw Lake' is in multiple towns [Old Town, Hudson, Glenburn
'Chemo Pond' in Clifton,
'Davis Pond' in East Eddington,
'Holbrook Pond' in Holden.
'Brewer Lake' in Orrington.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:10 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Hampden is a suburb just to the south of Bangor that is known for having a top school system, but home cost is about average for Maine - worth looking at.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 9,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I live about 25 minutes North of Bangor, which is still in the Southern half of Maine though few seem to realize that fact.

I occasionally post links to houses on the market for under $50k. Low priced homes do exist.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/main...angor-49k.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/main...a-1-480-a.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/main...-essex-st.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/main...a-1-078-a.html

As you get out of Bangor, in many of the surrounding towns the property taxes are significantly lower than they are in Bangor.

Maine has a lot of fresh water rivers, lakes and ponds. I have a quarter-mile of river frontage on my land, along the Penobscot River.

Look at 'Hermon Pond' n Hermon.
'Pleasant Lake' in Stetson.
'Pushaw Lake' is in multiple towns [Old Town, Hudson, Glenburn
'Chemo Pond' in Clifton,
'Davis Pond' in East Eddington,
'Holbrook Pond' in Holden.
'Brewer Lake' in Orrington.
can you homesteading there? Seems like most towns prohibit homesteading on waterfront property.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:35 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksbywater View Post
can you homesteading there?
How do you define 'homesteading'?

I bought bare land. I parked a motorhome on that land and I hired an electrician to install one power pole with an electric meter and power panel. I hired a well driller to put in a well. I hire a soil scientist to tell me where I could put a septic system and he gave me the design to use. I hire a 'site work' crew and a foundation contractor to put in a concrete foundation. Then I built a house.

Years later I put in solar power.

Quote:
... Seems like most towns prohibit homesteading on waterfront property.
Maine has 986 towns.

The majority of them [554] are Unorganised Townships [UTs].

UTs have no regulations of their own, the state bureaucrats have a committee called LUPC that controls zoning and permits.

You may be thinking of 'Shoreland Protection' law which has its specifics which you can workaround. Not all bodies of water count within its guidance.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:05 PM

6 posts, read 9,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
How do you define 'homesteading'?

I bought bare land. I parked a motorhome on that land and I hired an electrician to install one power pole with an electric meter and power panel. I hired a well driller to put in a well. I hire a soil scientist to tell me where I could put a septic system and he gave me the design to use. I hire a 'site work' crew and a foundation contractor to put in a concrete foundation. Then I built a house.

Years later I put in solar power.

Maine has 986 towns.

The majority of them [554] are Unorganised Townships [UTs].

UTs have no regulations of their own, the state bureaucrats have a committee called LUPC that controls zoning and permits.

You may be thinking of 'Shoreland Protection' law which has its specifics which you can workaround. Not all bodies of water count within its guidance.

You seem know Maine a lot. Thanks for the infomation.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:25 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksbywater View Post
can you homesteading there? Seems like most towns prohibit homesteading on waterfront property.
You can homestead but you have to own or have permission to use the property. It's not like the old days when people chose a parcel of land and were given the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area