Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,655 times

Advertisements

Just a little background.

I'm originally from Massachusetts. When I was a kid we use to go to Saco and visit my great grand parents. Visiting them and going to the ocean is really all I remember of Maine. The memories are kind of vague, but I remeber the coast being beautiful. We moved to Texas when I was seven and I havent been back to New England since.

I had been living in Montana the last few years, but I recently moved back to Texas because my wife inherited some property. We were going to start a homestead here and settle down, but I regret moving back and hate it here. There are way too many people, and the humidity sucks. I grew up in this heat, and I'm used to it, but it sucks. Its also kind of trashy down south, and I just want to get away again.

I was planning to just move back to Montana, but I've been thinking about Maine lately. My memory of Maine is vague at best, but Ive talked to people from there and it sounds like somewhere I would like to live. I like that the state is over 90% forest, and it would be nice to live near and visit a scenic coast. I love the outdoors. I love to camp and hike, and Maine seems to have a lot to offer in that regard. Maine doesnt have a large population which is also what I'm looking for. Housing is also cheaper than Montana, and the crime rate is low. Being a Red Sox fan, it would also be nice to be able to drive to Fenway and watch a game, so theres also that.

With that said, Ive got some questions.

I was thinking of moving near the Bangor area. I'm a mechanic at a Caterpillar dealership. I saw that there is a Cat dealership in Brewer, so if I decide to move to Maine perhaps I can transfer there. If that doesnt pan out, what are the prospects for a mechanic in the Bangor area? Is the pay decent?

What are some towns close enough to commute to Maine or Brewer? I would like to live out in country somewhere and start a homestead. I'm willing to drive 40 or 50 miles if need be. I got away with this when I lived in Montana during the winter, and only had a couple of instances where the snow was too bad and the roads were shut down. Would this be feasible there in the Bangor area?

What's the culture like there? How would I be recieved being from the south? I dont really have a southern accent since im not a redneck, but I may have a slight accent to you guys up there. Also, how are the politics there? I would consider myself to be right of center on the political spectrum, but certainly not far right. If anything I'm an Independent since I despise both parties. I fit in pretty well in Montana, but I'm not sure about Maine.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 08:42 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahJohnson19 View Post
I was thinking of moving near the Bangor area. I'm a mechanic at a Caterpillar dealership. I saw that there is a Cat dealership in Brewer, so if I decide to move to Maine perhaps I can transfer there.
That would be ideal. Moving to Maine without a pension, your top priority should be to have a job lined up before hand.

Quote:
... If that doesnt pan out, what are the prospects for a mechanic in the Bangor area?
There are a variety of tractor dealerships, and heavy equipment rentals in the area.

Though the last time I needed to rent a large bulldozer I had to get it from Waterville.

Quote:
... What are some towns close enough to commute to Maine or Brewer? I would like to live out in country somewhere and start a homestead. I'm willing to drive 40 or 50 miles if need be. I got away with this when I lived in Montana during the winter, and only had a couple of instances where the snow was too bad and the roads were shut down. Would this be feasible there in the Bangor area?
Yes, it is possible.

Just draw a 40-mile circle on a map and you will find many suitable towns.

Though I do recommend that you consider renting your first year in Maine. Give yourself time to become acclimated to Maine and tour the state, before you make the final decision of where to homestead.

Quote:
... What's the culture like there? How would I be recieved being from the south? I dont really have a southern accent since im not a redneck, but I may have a slight accent to you guys up there.
We used to have a regular poster here, who was from Texas, I met her a few times, but eventually she moved back to Texas.

I know a few people who migrated here from the Carolinas, they have fit in nicely.

Quote:
... If anything I'm an Independent since I despise both parties. I fit in pretty well in Montana, but I'm not sure about Maine.

My Dw and I have been fairly active in the Libertarian Party of Maine. It sounds like you would fit in well.

btw, welcome to Maine.

You really should try to get a couple of trips to Maine first so you can play tourist. Without the focus of settling here.

If you do, feel free to contact me and we will have you over for supper.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:48 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,255,600 times
Quote:

I'm originally from Massachusetts. When I was a kid we use to go to Saco and visit my great grand parents. Visiting them and going to the ocean is really all I remember of Maine. The memories are kind of vague, but I remeber the coast being beautiful. We moved to Texas when I was seven and I havent been back to New England since.

I had been living in Montana the last few years, but I recently moved back to Texas because my wife inherited some property. We were going to start a homestead here and settle down, but I regret moving back and hate it here. There are way too many people, and the humidity sucks. I grew up in this heat, and I'm used to it, but it sucks. Its also kind of trashy down south, and I just want to get away again.

I was planning to just move back to Montana, but I've been thinking about Maine lately. My memory of Maine is vague at best, but Ive talked to people from there and it sounds like somewhere I would like to live. I like that the state is over 90% forest, and it would be nice to live near and visit a scenic coast. I love the outdoors. I love to camp and hike, and Maine seems to have a lot to offer in that regard. Maine doesnt have a large population which is also what I'm looking for. Housing is also cheaper than Montana, and the crime rate is low. Being a Red Sox fan, it would also be nice to be able to drive to Fenway and watch a game, so theres also that.

I was thinking of moving near the Bangor area. I'm a mechanic at a Caterpillar dealership. I saw that there is a Cat dealership in Brewer, so if I decide to move to Maine perhaps I can transfer there. If that doesnt pan out, what are the prospects for a mechanic in the Bangor area? Is the pay decent?

What are some towns close enough to commute to Maine or Brewer? I would like to live out in country somewhere and start a homestead. I'm willing to drive 40 or 50 miles if need be. I got away with this when I lived in Montana during the winter, and only had a couple of instances where the snow was too bad and the roads were shut down. Would this be feasible there in the Bangor area?

What's the culture like there? How would I be recieved being from the south? I dont really have a southern accent since im not a redneck, but I may have a slight accent to you guys up there. Also, how are the politics there? I would consider myself to be right of center on the political spectrum, but certainly not far right. If anything I'm an Independent since I despise both parties. I fit in pretty well in Montana, but I'm not sure about Maine.

This is funny! I'm originally from Massachusetts, went to college in Maine, and live in Texas now! Where in Texas do you live?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:49 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Quote:

There seems to be a shortage of skilled, reliable workers who actually want to work and show up for work. Is the pay decent? That is a matter of opinion. The auto mechanics I know who own their own businesses charge $50 to $90 per hour. Even though I know people who have done it, I wouldn't plan to drive 40 or 50 miles to work unless absolutely necessary. Most of Maine is rural. Submariner usually has good advice about homesteading. He is not far from Bangor. If you have to work (not retired with an income), you should find a job before moving. Dysart's in Bangor is a truck stop; they have a service area. The web site currently lists full-time diesel mechanic among other job openings https://www.dysarts.com/truckstop/
Here is the Maine.gov employment link. https://www.maine.gov/portal/employment/

Since you already work for Caterpillar, here's the link. https://www.miltoncat.com/careers

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-07-2019 at 10:01 AM..

Old 10-07-2019, 10:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Also, you'd be surprised at how little money you need to live a happy in Maine and anywhere for that matter. Consume less. The beauty of Maine is the outdoors. Most of it free to enjoy.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:56 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Also, you'd be surprised at how little money you need to live a happy in Maine and anywhere for that matter. Consume less. The beauty of Maine is the outdoors. Most of it free to enjoy.
Yes, you are correct.

I know a lot of Mainers who produce most of their own food, and market the surplus at Farmer's Markets.

We have been raising chickens and turkeys for meat, and we host an annual 'poultry processing potluck'. I have the machine that plucks our poultry. This year we skipped raising chickens [I was concerned that I might not have enough energy since I am dealing with cancer], but we hosted a community poultry processing event yesterday. People brought 50 birds and in 4 hours they all made it into chest freezers.

A few of the people who showed up did not want to help process chickens, so I asked them if they would mind picking grapes for me. Today I have a row of buckets loaded with grapes that I need to press for wine making. I had been waiting 6 years for these grape vines to produce a crop, and this year they did it.

In three weeks, we will be pressing apples for cider. Everyone who attends goes home with a gallon of fresh cider, whatever is left here gets fermented.

I knew that living in Maine was going to be less expensive, but even after 14 years, I am still amazed by it. My military pension puts us just a hair above the federal poverty level. Yet I am able to continue investing around 40% of my income.

If I were to return to my native California, it would be very rough trying to survive on my pension. Let alone trying to set aside money to invest with.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:03 PM

319 posts, read 346,272 times
I would definitely come spend some time around the Bangor area and see how it feels for you. There will be lots of places to homestead around there inexpensively. As far as a job, I doubt you will have a problem getting a job as work ethic here is meh at best so if you are a hard worker, you should be gold. The issue I would think would be more if you end up not liking your job or are not treated well there, your options for other jobs that offer any different treatment in the area may be limited. Maine is attractive in some ways in that it is dated and old fashioned - but on the employment front, that can be a real challenge to people who have lived elsewhere. Maine isn't a trend setter on treating employees well or working hard to attract or retain talent.

You will find a huge difference on the people in Texas and Maine. Texans are outgoing and friendly and social. Mainers are friendly but reserved and keep their feelings to their chest. Many come from long legacy Maine families that do not trust strangers and have endured a lot of isolation and dysfunction that is kept quiet by not mingling much outside of their circle. You won't really get a good understanding of this until you have been here a while and people start to open up to you more.

Maine is beautiful, though, and has a lot to offer as far as nature and homesteading. It is not crowded and that is lovely.
Politics here are mixed. You can find some of everything. Gun lovers, gun haters, immigration lovers, immigration haters, etc, etc.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2019, 10:03 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That would be ideal. Moving to Maine without a pension, your top priority should be to have a job lined up before hand.

There are a variety of tractor dealerships, and heavy equipment rentals in the area.

Though the last time I needed to rent a large bulldozer I had to get it from Waterville.

Yes, it is possible.

Just draw a 40-mile circle on a map and you will find many suitable towns.

Though I do recommend that you consider renting your first year in Maine. Give yourself time to become acclimated to Maine and tour the state, before you make the final decision of where to homestead.

We used to have a regular poster here, who was from Texas, I met her a few times, but eventually she moved back to Texas.

I know a few people who migrated here from the Carolinas, they have fit in nicely.

My Dw and I have been fairly active in the Libertarian Party of Maine. It sounds like you would fit in well.

btw, welcome to Maine.

You really should try to get a couple of trips to Maine first so you can play tourist. Without the focus of settling here.

If you do, feel free to contact me and we will have you over for supper.

Up to the end, pretty good advice. You want to have a hard look at the Maine Libertarian Party website. I thought I was libertarian for many years, even re-registered from R to I when there was some equivocation about "good people on both sides" a couple years ago. But the website is full of baloney and doesn't know Maine people. You can't say "liberals want to ban guns" and the multitude of other misinformation on that site. Or you just don't know Maine. I'll admit, there are a lot of easily misled natives, though.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:29 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Hinckley's (Yachts) in Trenton have had a big sign up for a while now advertising for carpenters, DIESEL MECHANICS, varnishers and more. Give them a call.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:11 AM

134 posts, read 282,475 times
Default Decision?

What did you decide? All of the advice so far has been excellent... take a trip there... rent for a while.. line up a job first... check out real estate websites.. see acreage.. how much land do you want? Of course in town you will not get much.. also know that auto insurance is pretty cheap.. not a no-fault state.. you can save a lot this way, if Texas is a no-fault state.

I think you would love it... your accent will not matter... just don't try to change things there.. appreciate it and you will be fine.. do not complain and try to correct what you see as problems.. HOW DOES YOUR WIFE FEEL? If she is not happy, she might ruin it for you... both should be on the same page.. also check out medical facilities..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area