U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 2,523 times

Advertisements

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 03:26 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,140,644 times
In addition to being the oldest state, according to the FBI, we are the safest state. Many people of retirement age work part time or do seasonal work. If we didn't, our economy could not function.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:36 AM

It’s great to know it’s a safe state for sure, but I’m curious as to why the economy would suffer? I am going to assume that it’s because it’s a low population state? I like to say I will be retired, but will more than likely work part time just to stay busy. As I have mentioned previously, I have joined a few Maine Facebook groups and I have not seen one negative post and the area is beautiful so how come more people don’t move there?

Sorry just curious

Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 AM

32,497 posts, read 52,888,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippyk View Post
... I have not seen one negative post and the area is beautiful so how come more people don’t move there?

Sorry just curious
Among Maine's primary industries is tourism.

From the impression that I get the primary tourists come from Mass. They have generated a mythology about the winters of Maine. They love coming to Maine to see the fall colors and all, but they seem to be scared of the idea of wintering over in Maine. For as cold as Mass gets, they are convinced that since Maine is North of Mass, we must get far worse winters than what they get.

They forget that the snow they see from 'Lake Effect' does not hit us.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:01 AM

Good to know and I have to admit I thought that way as well, even though I don’t live on the east coast. I guess it’s a good thing more people don’t realize this

Old 09-28-2020, 12:08 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,080,979 times
I had one of my best visits in mid May few years back. I love it at any time of the year.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:20 PM

Thank you!

Old 10-07-2020, 04:11 PM

6,485 posts, read 7,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For as cold as Mass gets, they are convinced that since Maine is North of Mass, we must get far worse winters than what they get.

Having spent 20 years living in MA, 200 miles south of here, I would have to say that they are not completely wrong. Down there, I thought that temps in the teens were extremely cold. Here, after cutting wood at -25 in a raging gale (growing icicles on my face), I no longer find the teens to be quite so uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area