U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 06:05 AM

9 posts, read 2,499 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

I will be visiting Maine for roughly 10 days at the end of May and am looking for a little insight. Maine will be a possible move for retirement in a few years so I am starting to do my research now. I have joined a few Facebook groups and I have to say it’s simply breathtaking. Even though I am in love with the whole state I really need to pick a few areas for my first visit so that I can spend more time enjoying the town. It is pretty simple actually, I am looking for areas that have fall colors and the biggest opportunity to view wildlife on a pretty regular basis. I am a single woman so I do kind of need to be somewhat close to a town that at least had groceries.

I do realize that I should rent a year first. I also realize that I need to visit during all seasons as well. Just looking to narrow my search a little.

Thank you in advance for all your help
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 06:15 AM

305 posts, read 69,796 times
Mud season! Seriously, Maine doesn't look its best in May and will be quite chilly. In any case, my favorite parts of Maine are the Midcoast region from Penobscot Bay to Down East. If you like the coast, check out every little town along Route 1 from Rockland all the way to Canada. Highlights include Camden, Belfast and Mt. Desert. Tons of wildlife viewing all over Maine.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:18 AM

Thank you for the input on “mud season” yep need to see the good with the bad for sure. The next trip will be Fall, Summer, Winter

Old 09-23-2020, 09:01 AM

3,635 posts, read 1,592,181 times
May is also black fly season.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:15 AM

Thank you for that info!

Old 09-24-2020, 08:13 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,971,993 times
Late May is fine, at least most of the snow banks have melted by then.

What about Maine is appealing to you? It's a big state, so narrowing your focus based on budget, employment, healthcare, cultural or recreational requirements, can help to make your visits more meaningful.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:21 AM

Glad to hear late May is fine, just hoping Covid is better by then. What is appealing to me? Nature at it’s finest, the hard part is picking a specific area because it’s all beautiful. The only things that really will limit where I go is being somewhat close to medical offices and grocery stores. I will be retired and I just want to spend those years enjoying the natural beauty.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:08 PM

32,492 posts, read 52,882,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippyk View Post
Glad to hear late May is fine, just hoping Covid is better by then. What is appealing to me? Nature at it’s finest, the hard part is picking a specific area because it’s all beautiful. The only things that really will limit where I go is being somewhat close to medical offices and grocery stores. I will be retired and I just want to spend those years enjoying the natural beauty.
Maine has a grid of 986 'town's. Only a minority of them are incorporated, most remain Un-Organized. The state is primarily unpopulated forest, and it is beautiful.

You can live within 30-minutes of shopping, hospitals and airports, while also being so remote that in your dooryard you might never see any neighbors.

I came to Maine after I retired from the US Navy, this is a wonderful place to spend retirement.

The residents of Maine have the oldest average age, giving us the highest percentage of retirees from among all 50 states.

Welcome to Maine

Old 09-25-2020, 05:43 AM

I love the idea of being within 30 minutes of a town that is helpful. I originally was looking at Montana, but home prices are too high and not enough wildlife. I remember my first trip about 10 years ago, there was a house on the outskirts of town with all these elk napping....I knew this was what my soul needed eventually.
What I have discovered is Maine is like Montana in ways, but on steroids.

Thank you for your insight

Old 09-25-2020, 06:47 AM

208 posts, read 113,901 times
Acadia National Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia_National_Park

Baxter State Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baxter_State_Park

Also subscribe to this thread. It comes to your email daily and tells about fun things/places around Maine

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/states/maine/

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area