Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,379,666 times

Advertisements

After reading a lot last week about the flooding and especially Forest's situation, I found this site about disasters in Maine. GenDisasters is an interactive website where you can add information like Wikpedia. I found this 1911 Bangor Fire that I knew little about. I've highlighted it on this url:
Bangor, ME Fire, Apr 1911

I found this YouTube video about the fire, too.

YouTube - Bangor Lumbering & The Fire of 1911

It was cool to read this:
"The Bangor patrols of the Boy Scouts and those from nearby towns came if for much praise today for their manly conduct in offering their services to Mayor Mullen. The youngsters were found available for messenger service and caring for frightened women and girls, and they nobly performed the duties assigned to them."

Communication was kind of slow:
"The fact that any of the city was saved is due to the rushing in of experienced firemen from every city in railroad communication with Bangor. These fresh men relieved the worn out Bangor firemen and by 7 o’clock had the flames controlled."

And these towns came to help:
"Help has arrived on special Maine Central teams from Augusta, Waterville, Lewiston, Buckport and Oldtown."

I was looking for the old Opera House fire in Dover-Foxcroft. It hasn't been listed at the GenDisaster site yet. I have to research that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,600,769 times
Great site! I started reading and noticed the better part of an hour had passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area