U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,458 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be very candid and blunt here so forgive me, but I am an East Indian man from New York City that just wants the quiet life in Maine. I was wondering what the climate is like in Maine regarding race. I know that Bangor is predominantly white, but at the same time I've been around that often, even in a diverse place like NYC, so I don't exactly have a problem with that. However, will I be hung from a tree in Bangor?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 36,558,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster718 View Post
However, will I be hung from a tree in Bangor?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Not hardly, we use the lampposts now.

Really, give us some credit would you. Not everyplace outside of NYC is a bunch of inbred hicks who shun outsiders and persecute those who are a bit different that ourselves. Come on up, have a good time and relax.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Not hardly, we use the lampposts now.

Really, give us some credit would you. Not everyplace outside of NYC is a bunch of inbred hicks who shun outsiders and persecute those who are a bit different that ourselves. Come on up, have a good time and relax.
thanks for your reply and that kind of mindset is pretty much all that i'm looking for. i hate the hustle and bustle of the big city so i just want some where to settle down and have a peaceful life.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM

7,727 posts, read 11,629,767 times
Use the "search" feature for racism. It has been discussed here. I find it close to nonexistent in comparison to urban areas.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM

566 posts, read 1,335,685 times
You will be fine in Bangor. I think for the most part you will find people more on the curious side regarding a different race, especially if there is also a different culture involved. Please don't mistake that for being racist. Share any differences with us. People here are friendly and readily accept new people especially friendly people! I think Bangor is a wonderful place. You will find a very small city with a great community feel to it. Come here and join in the fun. Welcome to Maine and welcome to Bangor.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 PM

10,264 posts, read 16,727,679 times
OK, I'll be blunt too. My wife was 16 years old before she ever saw her first black person. Maine is the whitest state. That said, the Mayor of Waterville is black. I mean East Indian black and he is very popular, having been reelected more than once. You can make your own way in Maine. I'm a military Vet and have travelled widely. I have never seen any place as color blind as Maine. Be who you want to be. Do what you want to do. Your opportunities are unlimited here.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM

259 posts, read 652,868 times
If I'm not mistaken there is one of Maine's 'favorite' restaurants called Bahaar in Bangor, which is a Pakistani restaurant. I've always gotten the feeling that Maine is not racist and there is a very 'live and let live' mentality, very refreshing

Old 06-17-2008, 05:13 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,529,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
OK, I'll be blunt too. My wife was 16 years old before she ever saw her first black person. Maine is the whitest state. That said, the Mayor of Waterville is black. I mean East Indian black and he is very popular, having been reelected more than once. You can make your own way in Maine. I'm a military Vet and have travelled widely. I have never seen any place as color blind as Maine. Be who you want to be. Do what you want to do. Your opportunities are unlimited here.
Well okay. I read that, did a double take and read it again. I voted for him and never even noticed or gave it a thought. Guess that pretty much says it all. Nice people will always fit in regardless of ethnicity. I think you will be fine.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,366,234 times
You should have NO problems anywhere in Maine. What do you do for work? How come your looking at Bangor as apposed to other places in Maine?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:51 AM

8,323 posts, read 23,794,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
I've always gotten the feeling that Maine is not racist and there is a very 'live and let live' mentality, very refreshing
I know that you are being positive, but you also need to be realistic. Live and let live, maybe; Maine is not racists, not the entire state, obviously, but they are out there--don't forget about the Somali story in Lewiston, which made national attention and a documentary by the way

Last edited by K-Luv; 06-17-2008 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area