Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 8,236 times

Advertisements

I will move to Bangor, ME at the end of August due to the job transfer. I have two boys (3 and 9 yrs), and the elder boy will be at 4th grade after summer. I am being in headache for the apartment hunting because I need a balance of distance, safety and elementary school. I will work in the area of Bangor mall. I have two options need be decided immediately now. One is an apartment in husson St in Bangor, and another one is in the Dryden Terrace neighboring University of Maine in Orono. Husson St. is good area but the apartment and Mary Snow school are old, and YWCA after-school program lies in the downtown, while Dryden Terrace in Orono has the good apartment, but we don't know the environmental situation in the university town. Can somebody give me a suggestion for the choice decision? It is better if you can provide some information about the Dryden Terrace community in Orono in safety, noise, environment for kids?
Thank you very much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,514,475 times
I may be mistaken but I believe there are very few children in Dryden Terrace in Orono as most of those units have only one bedroom. This also would be father distance to travel for your work. My son lives on Husson Avenue at a complex called Bradford Commons. This complex has one and 2 bedroom units and also has a pool. Don't worry about Mary Snow school being old. It is clean and Bangor schools are excellent.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 PM

566 posts, read 1,411,331 times
Husson Avenue is a good area. You would do well in that area I think. There are plenty of kids around that part of Bangor so your kids will have someone to play with. One of my good friends had kids that just finished up at Mary Snow. She was very happy with that school. I did not live in this area when my kids were growing up but Bangor schools have a good reputation. Welcome to the area!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 AM

740 posts, read 1,872,599 times
I lived in two different apartments on Husson Ave. for 5 years. It is a great area with lots of kids and close to everything. I have found in my travels and speaking with others that Bangor schools are very good.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:19 PM

276 posts, read 845,187 times
My mother lived on Husson Ave for 10 years. You would never know you were in Bangor most of the time. It it a very quiet peacful area. Great if you like to walk or be outside. I only know of one house on that road that has apts that are ify (it's not part of a complex) but the rest are in great shape.

I am not a city person at all and I would rather live on Husson Ave than ANYWHERE in Orono, Old Town.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,561,129 times
Which place is better.......Orono! (I dunno!...... old Maine joke)

Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,643,426 times
I would say that the Husson Ave apt would make the most sense. As others have stated, Mary Snow is a great school, and you'd be much closer to work.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 AM

36 posts, read 86,018 times
I've lived in Bangor (three years) and Orono (six years) and ABSOLUTELY loved Orono. It's a quiet, pretty little town that is very safe and it has excellent schools and I would live there again in a heartbeat. It's very convenient to the Bangor Mall--just one exit down the interstate or you can go the back way via Stillwater Avenue.

However, the one thing you want to avoid in Orono is an apartment that is located in the middle of student housing. If you live in Orono, you want to get into a more adult/family area where it's more settled and quiet. I am not familiar with Dryden Terrace, but I looked it up online and if Mapquest is correct, it's right next to the campus. If that's your only choice in Orono, don't take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area