Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
You all are making me jealous... after 14 years living in Europe (original Mainer) I actually found fresh blueberries in an off the beaten path produce store. Not from Maine I am sure but oh so good.
If they're wild blueberries they probably are from Maine. Washington county produces 95% of the world's wild blueberries. How cool is that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
The weather has been excellent this year for picking blueberries at the local U PICK orchards here in New Hampshire. I have never seen blueberries as large as the ones this year.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
mainah says:
"down here in the southern section of the state. In fact I'm going tomorrow as they are already in. The place we go has both high and low bush berries(contrary to NMLM's assessment there are a TON of high bush ones around here!)"

Reread my post. I said the high bush blueberries were down there by you in lower Maine.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
mainah says:
"down here in the southern section of the state. In fact I'm going tomorrow as they are already in. The place we go has both high and low bush berries(contrary to NMLM's assessment there are a TON of high bush ones around here!)"

Reread my post. I said the high bush blueberries were down there by you in lower Maine.
Don't get wound up! I also read where you said blueberries are all raked too!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'm with you! NMLM is talking about commercial operations. I have a blueberry rake but I've never used it. It's too much of a pain in the butt to clean the berries afterwards. We get all the blueberries we could ever want for free just walking the powerlines down here in the southern section of the state. In fact I'm going tomorrow as they are already in. The place we go has both high and low bush berries(contrary to NMLM's assessment there are a TON of high bush ones around here!) so you can pick what you want. The place is loaded with them and you can usually get about a gallon an hour picking by hand. Two or three gallons is plenty for us for the year. We freeze them on single layers on cookie sheets and when frozen vacuum seal them and put them back in the freeezer. Freezing them first keeps them from being crushed and they keep real well like that. DW measures them into cups and I vacuum seal them. She made a pie out of last years berries last week and you would think we had just picked them.
I haven't been to a free pick and weigh blueberry farm.

We had a friend of ours rake us some, I found out that DH froze them to clean them from leaves and twigs and it was mind boggling.
After a week the attempt was at no prevail. It was like needle in a hay stack theme.
We gave up.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If they're wild blueberries they probably are from Maine. Washington county produces 95% of the world's wild blueberries. How cool is that!
As a young adult, I realize that we weren't the main...Lobster exporter..we were with our Blueberries.
I thought that was so0o great.

Question:
So0oo why don't we have a branch of blueberries on our license plate??? That would be perfect!!!!!

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 07-31-2008 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: ?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Well I couldn't go blueberry PICKING yesterday because the furnace man showed up two hours late.
I was going to go today but Peachie put a rain dance hex on me for blowing off the Bangor meeting for the air show so here I sit....in the rain....The only place in the State it's raining now by the way! Shouldn't have crossed her I guess!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Well I couldn't go blueberry PICKING yesterday because the furnace man showed up two hours late.
I was going to go today but Peachie put a rain dance hex on me for blowing off the Bangor meeting for the air show so here I sit....in the rain....The only place in the State it's raining now by the way! Shouldn't have crossed her I guess!
oops... I didn't think it was working, cause it's sunny here. I'll hold off with dance. It's not fair to the state.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 PM

121 posts, read 338,037 times
When I was younger, my parents and I would travel around by motorhome, and camp in some of the gravel pits along rte 9. lots and lots of blueberries in them. I would get on my bike first thing in the morning, and ride around the pit, collecting berries. I would usually get a bowl full before breakfast. (okay, it was a small bowl!) But still, it is a nice ride down that way, a lot of the pit areas are abandoned, and you can get a nice meal at the bluebird ranch downeast before coming home.....

Old 07-31-2008, 07:23 PM

182 posts, read 490,690 times
I saw a sign tonight on the door of the local store advertising PYO and no spray I think for a farm in Liberty. I'll look closer when I go again, I'll be needing fuel for all the power equipment for sure after all this rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area