U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2006, 06:44 PM

20,410 posts, read 24,201,969 times

Advertisements

We're still looking into Bangor. It's hard to tell from the maps and websites, but do Bangor, Brewer, Orono, and the other suburbs all feel like one big community, or is there a distinct feel between the towns?

Would you recommend one over the other? Is there much difference between them?

And because I am a geek: Where is the nearest comic-book store if you live in Bangor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 AM

53 posts, read 253,062 times
Default Bangor, Brewer, Hamden ... distinct

Though close together, there are definite distinctions from one town to the next. What is better and what is worse is, of course, a matter of personal taste.

I love Bangor. Bangor is full of beautiful old homes, in varying states of repair, and I simply love driving around town looking at all the old buildings. Don't get me wrong, there are older homes all over Maine.. but Bangor has been the economic hub of northern Maine for centuries and all the old lumber barons and merchants built the most beautiful homes all over town. Many of these are now needing work and are available for a song. Many have been lovingly restored and cost more.

If you are so inclined... "Project Homes" are a steal!

I have so much to say about Bangor... I could go on forever. Want to know more, just ask me.

There are currently two Comic book stores in Bangor.. selling the old and new.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlear
I have so much to say about Bangor... I could go on forever. Want to know more, just ask me.
Thanks!

Are their any neighborhoods to avoid as far as safety and noise? I know that no place on Earth is flawless, but living in crime-ridden Seattle/Tacoma with constant parties, boom boxes, and gangbangers, I need out.

Boring I can handle. I'm pretty good at entertaining myself. But I want a quiet, safe neighborhood where I don't have to be afraid to let me kids play in their own front yard.

Affordability is also a concern. I'm certainly not poverty-level as far as income, but neither can I afford a half-million dollar home.

Are there any neighborhoods in Bangor and surrounding towns that you'd particularly recommend? Any that I should certainly avoid?

Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,445,830 times
Ilive in a small rural town app. 13 miles from Bangor. I can recomend the fairmount section of Bangor lots of families schools that are close by Not alot of crime.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:54 AM

53 posts, read 253,062 times
Bangor is/maybe different than many other cities. First, it is a small city of only about 32,000 people. The condition of properties can change from one house to the next, for various reasons. There are, however, very few blocks that I would choose not to live on.

My son is 14 and in Northern Virginia, where we moved from, I felt I always needed to know where he was at all times. Here, hours go by without him checking in and not once have I worried... even at 11:00 pm!!!

$500,000 would buy you one of the nicest homes in town. [moderator CUT] For $300,000 you can purchase a large, beautifully restored home and for 180,000 - 250,000 you are in the market for probably 75% of all homes in the area... new construction tends to range $300,000 +. As a Realtor, I do not want to violate the TOS here... an e-mail maybe?

Last edited by Marka; 06-27-2006 at 02:11 PM..

Old 07-13-2006, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 20,702 times
I live in Brewer and prefer it to Bangor. It is just across the bridge, so you can get to Bangor in a flash if you want to. We have two comic book stores in our area as well. My husband plays VS system card games and also likes to read comics, so he spends a lot of time at Geekzilla which is the hobby shop right on main street in Brewer.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannan B
I live in Brewer and prefer it to Bangor.
How so?

Our top criteria for a new location are:

Affordability, safety, a certain amount of quiet, and a feeling of community.

So what is it that you prefer about Brewer? (Feel free to PM me if you like.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannan B
We have two comic book stores in our area as well. My husband plays VS system card games and also likes to read comics, so he spends a lot of time at Geekzilla which is the hobby shop right on main street in Brewer.
Excellent! That's great news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area