Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 AM

15 posts, read 41,209 times

Advertisements

I am about to move from Alabama to Maine, Orono actually. I keep hearing mixed opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
You need to come and visit. You could experience culture shock. You can only shoot one deer a year here and we don't run deer with dogs.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant_decide! View Post
I am about to move from Alabama to Maine, Orono actually. I keep hearing mixed opinions.

LOL- hopefully you did your homework first, that's going to be quite a transistion for you. Orono, are you a student? Your post says you're about to move- which tells me you've already made up your mind and your plans are set. If you're just now asking our opinions... well, we'll just say Welcome and bundle up!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:15 PM

169 posts, read 550,421 times
cant........i live in alabama six months a year and on deer isle here in maine for six months a year. i'm a new england guy who married a lady from bama and we go back and forth and are able to enjoy both places a lot. be glad to tell you what i know about whats on your mind.............good luck

Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
I think you've made a rash decision today. This morning Maine was one of three states you were considering. I think you'd be better off checking out the colleges you're considering and basing a large part of your move on the education you need. I wouldn't jump into it so quickly. Check out Montana and Oregon schools carefully too. Orono is a nice town but I wouldn't want to be in the wrong school.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM

Actually, Maine Writer, I must clarify that I did not make that decision today. I posted both of those threads at the same time, basically. I have just been planning on Maine the most anyway, and after reading more opinions, I realized I needed to broaden my options. I have researched all of those states and schools, and Maine seemed the most appealing. I just wanted other opinions.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Sorry for the double post!
Anyway, the cold is not going to be a problem, I like cold!
And ha ha, very funny, Northern Maine Land Man, we don't ALL shoot deer, but there are lots of people here that do.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 PM

9 posts, read 33,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant_decide! View Post

Mixed opinions about what?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I think you've made a rash decision today. This morning Maine was one of three states you were considering. I think you'd be better off checking out the colleges you're considering and basing a large part of your move on the education you need. I wouldn't jump into it so quickly. Check out Montana and Oregon schools carefully too. Orono is a nice town but I wouldn't want to be in the wrong school.
In fact, earlier this evening I posted on that thread in the General U.S. forum where you were asking about three states. I'll second what Maine Writer has said here, and what I said as a lead-in on the other thread: Make sure the college you pick will work for you. Also, you can get a good picture of Maine and Orono if you provide some info about what you've heard, pro and con, and what has led you to lean toward Maine. I drop into this forum from time to time even though I'm not from Maine, because the users here are friendly and helpful. Feel free to provide details about what appeals to you about Maine, and I'm sure people here will be very helpful in telling you whether you're on the right track.

Other than that . . . you're about to enter an exciting new phase of life. Good to see that you're looking at areas of the country you're not used to. Now is the time when you have the flexibility to gain new experiences. Best of luck as you move ahead toward college.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidUSee2 View Post
Mixed opinions about what?
I mean mixed opinions about Maine. Some say it's always cold while some say it can get really hot in the summer. Some say it's beautiful and amazing and there's so much stuff to do, while others hate it and say it's a "working state" that doesn't have much fun. I guess it depends on the person though, everyone likes different things, so they all have different opinions.

Here are the aspects that I have heard about Maine that are appealing to me: 1. The weather. 2. Low crime rates. 3. Intellectuality, and higher SAT scores than the national average. 4. A good place for writing and journalism 5. People are more interested in the environment and wildlife and don't HUNT all the time (*Alabama*) 6. It's a bit more culturally accepting. I avidly support homosexuality and such, and most Alabamians scorn it. 7. It's not crazily religious. I live in the Bible Belt here, and everything closes on Sundays and Wednesdays. 8. It's not the South. haha I hate the south.

I have lived here forever and dreamed of traveling, so anywhere I go is going to amaze me. I can't wait for culture shock! Some of you guys should come visit Alabama sometime. It's quite an amusing place. We have a blend of redneck and hip-hop culture. And I bet my accent is going to be ridiculed wherever I go. I hate it, and I try to exercise more Northern words such as soda, and you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area