Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Washburn I used to get the BDN. Found exactly what you have found as well. I think their reporting practices are at best sloppy, and at worse purposely deceiving. My subscription didn't last long at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,516,822 times
Molly have you tried emailing the reporter and questioning what he or she had written that was not accurate? That would be a good place to start. We have received the BDN for years. One of the best reporters they have lives at the end of our street. She used to do much investigative and criminal reporting but now just has a column a couple times a week as her kids are teens and preteens and she is devoting more time to them. Rene' Ordway. Read her column - I think you will find it thought provoking and timely.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 AM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Years ago we lived in Northern California, and rolled newspapers into logs, soaked the logs in water with a dab of Potassium Nitrate, and then a week drying time. It made the logs burn very nicely. We lived in a singlewide trailer and heated with a potbelly stove. burning newspaper logs worked well for us.

Now though Potassium Nitrate is controlled by Big Brother, so it is no longer practical.

Here in Maine we have tried soaking in plain water, using bleach water, using vinegar water, none of these work as well as the old method did. Even after 6 months of drying time. A newspaper log might light but then once the outer layers burn the fire goes out.

We have tried soaking them in kerosene. But when burning they are not sustainable, the fire goes out.

So now we have settled into just not using but very little newspaper, and only for starting the fires.

A layer of crumpled BDN papers, a layer of cardboard strips, wood and then a sprinkling of woodchips over the entire pile [soaked in WVO] and the fires start nicely.

So even though we are no longer able to make newspaper logs, like we once did.

We are using BDN, and I think putting BDN to it's most efficient and functional purpose.

We rely upon BDN on a daily basis.

We don't buy the BDN. we get it in tied bundles in Bangor. Folks are so friendly here it is really nice, they tie BDN into handy bundles just for us. And stack them in the recycle center for easy pickup.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
We have subscribed to the BDN for years. This time we extended our subscription for three months which will take us into May. From then until October we will likely be at camp. After that we will probably not renew. I'll check the obits on line.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Molly have you tried emailing the reporter and questioning what he or she had written that was not accurate? That would be a good place to start. We have received the BDN for years. One of the best reporters they have lives at the end of our street. She used to do much investigative and criminal reporting but now just has a column a couple times a week as her kids are teens and preteens and she is devoting more time to them. Rene' Ordway. Read her column - I think you will find it thought provoking and timely.

Agreed.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:02 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
I have spoken to Mike Dowd on the phone. I've emailed Mark Woodward. I've posted comments under the article where the lies are contained. I've talked to others in the community and learned that this is not the first time this reporter has done this. There has been no retraction, no correction, and no response from the BDN..... this is a continuing story. When the reporter first wrote the inaccuracies more than a year ago I called her and spoke with her. Two police officers spoke with her as well at that time. She knows the difference. Nothing has changed. It's very discouraging. There are now 64 comments under that particular article--a lot for our corner of Maine. Most all of those are asking for accuracy in reporting and to please write the truth. Not one single word from the BDN.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
It would seem then BDN is not concerned about truth or accuracy in reporting.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
ayuh, that's what I'm thinking.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good post casper! i know that bake sales and good news may not drive ratings or push newspapers, but my gawd, it's so difficult to listen to the daily news, on the tv, on the radio or newspaper, reporters seem to report bad news with such glee. the older i get the more im trying to avoid news/tragedy overload.
years ago before the cable 24 hr coverage, it seems reporting was just that, reporting the facts, today, it seems the "media" plays to the applause of there own peers and party politicians(has grown into a monster with an agenda)
i'll give you an example, say 50 of us were in a room, someone asks a question "should illegal aliens automatically be given a drivers license, even if they cant read the road signs?
49 raise there hands, a resounding majority says no, but there's one that doesnt and says, yes,
the reporter would go to that one person that says the rest of us are racists, and there's the headline " Are mainers being racist"? completely slanted and inflammatory.

i respect the fact you are a reporter, something ive always been interested in, however, i wouldnt last long...
thank you for sharing about the editing, very interesting!
Equally a good post!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
"49 raise there hands, a resounding majority says no, but there's one that doesnt and says, yes"

They had a reporter who didn't just reprint press releases from TNC. She got facts. Her name was MaryAnn LaGasse and she was a great reporter. She told the truth about what happened to Millinocket and late one Friday night she submitted an article summarizing the whole disaster. It slipped by the sleepy editor and was published. That was the end of MaryAnn. Every single article she had published in the brief remainder of her career had somebody else sharing that byline. She was watched closely and eventually forced out because she told the truth.

"It would seem then BDN is not concerned about truth or accuracy in reporting."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area