Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone... I'm wondering about a couple of things concerning the Bangor Daily. We recently signed up for a year's subscription, paid in full in advance, and now we're considering canceling. We're finding that some reporting is not accurate, and we're concerned about stories having a factual basis. Are any of you out there in Maine Forum World subscribers or readers? What do you find from your perspective? Also, how long is their reach? Is it sold in your area of the state? I'll be honest, I hope what we've discovered is just limited to one particular reporter, so I'd like some input from others in other areas of the state before I make the decision to cancel our subscription. There are things about the paper I like, but frankly, I'm worried about misinformation and would rather spend time reading something more factual IF this problem exists across reporters and isn't limited to one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,183 times
i get it every day... haven't noticed a problem.... probably no different than most other papers. Contact them at bangornews.com and inquire

Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I did that... I've heard things in the past, I just didn't pay attention to it. Sometimes rumors are just rumors, so I'm looking to see if my experience is unique or if others have noticed something similar. I look forward to that daily crossword, and I like the sports section with our local schools. Both of those I could get online for nothing though....

Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 PM

121 posts, read 338,037 times
As far as I am concerned, your experience is not unique. One item springs to mind, where a story was written about a relative of a friend. Most info was copied word for word from my friend's business website. no research whatsoever. I get what few stories I need from bangornews.com. That way, I can read the comments, many of which are from people actually near to the situation.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I have the same issues with the Portland Press Herald for what it's worth... a poor excuse for a local paper.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 PM

473 posts, read 714,472 times
i check the website now and then if someone says there is a story of interest, but we dont subscribe. mostly for the very reasons you stated. the online version can be comical though. it lets you comment on a story and it can get pretty interesting. lots of small town laundry gets aired there.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
i check the website now and then if someone says there is a story of interest, but we dont subscribe. mostly for the very reasons you stated. the online version can be comical though. it lets you comment on a story and it can get pretty interesting. lots of small town laundry gets aired there.

I don't think that the online verision has all the articles as the paper itself.

As for the op, they all misrepresent the facts at times. I get the paper every day, (something to start the fire with) and while it now has a decidedly liberal bent, I haven't found the reporters to be liers. I do know of times where they have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Sometimes I go into Bangor to the re-cycle place and I load up on tied bales of BDN. Folks neatly tie-up bales of them and stack them at the re-cycle place.

I use them for for fire starter.

Sometimes I also go online to the BDN website. I have been known to make a comment to two there.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:29 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Thank, Forest! I've been wondering what we're supposed to use to start our fires! I'm only familiar with charcoal and starter fluid!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
I've seen the same sort of thing with the Sun journal too. Sensationalism, just reporting one side of the story. You almost have to read many newspapers to form and objective opinion on any particular story. Its a real shame

I never subscribe to the newpaper....most of them you can read online... and occasionally I will buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area